Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Driver Side Mirror

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BigTallV 
#1 ·
Okay, I have had my '09 XR since April, & I know it is September, but while driving this week, something was bothering me about my mirrors.
The drivers side mirror has a black plastic molding around the glass, but the passenger side does not. At first I thought something maybe feel off, but I checked out another Outlooks mirrors in the Target parking lot, and both mirrors were like my passenger side mirror.

So, now I know they're different it is REALLY bothering me driving. Something must be wrong...they wouldn't put two different mirrors on.

Anyway, does ANYONE else have this, or do I need to call & get it replaced.

Thanks!
Confused...

#2 ·
Carsmom,

Well, you got my curiousity. Just came back from looking at my 09 XR FWD (purchased 7/28/09) and they left that black trim off my pass mirror too. Not sure why but had you not posted on this I would frankly never have known nor cared. Right mirror is functional and is power folding. Guess the real test will be this winter as they are heated as well.

Maybe a Saturn tech or the more experienced here can shed some light on why this subtle difference between driver and pass mirrors.

Regards,

Jim

#5 ·
What R U guys talking about---I have an 09' and there is no black molding around the drivers side, both mirrors look the same. :confused:

#6 ·
6sixathome,

Here's a pic of both driver's and pass mirrors. Mine is an '09 XR. If you look closely, the driver's mirror has a band of plastic surrounding the glass while the pass mirror doesn't.

Jim

Attachments

#7 ·
Mine was built 8/08. Both of my mirrors look like the pic of your pass side. When was yours built? I dont know whats goin on :mad:

#9 ·
Have both mirrors the same on my '09 Outlook XR FWD. I have the electro-chromatic auto-dimming inside rearview mirror. Have the heated Outside Rear View Mirror (drivers side and passenger side mirrors). Wasn't aware that there was an auto-dimming feature on the XR for the drivers mirror. Mine doesn't have this extra band of black molding around the drivers side mirror.

I took a look at the Options/Specifications web page (archived it for safe keeping) and it doesn't state anything about the OSRV mirror being auto-dimming. Just the ISRV with the OnStar.

If it's an option, then there will be an RPO code associated with it and that RPO code will be on the Service Parts Identification Label on the inside of your glove box door. <Does anyone really store gloves in there anymore ??? >

I Googled my RPO codes and managed to decode most of them. Those I couldn't find were cleared up when I got a GMVIS from the parts department of a local dealer. The following were the only two RPO codes that have anything to do with mirrors on my Outlook XR.

RPO DESCRIPTION
---- ---------------------
DD8 MIRROR, INSIDE, REARVIEW, TILT, AUTOMATIC LIGHT SENSITIVE (ELECTROCHROMATIC ISRV MIRROR AUTO DIMMING)
DS3 MIRROR 0/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED, MANUAL FOLDING, TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR, BODYCOLOR

I know my vehicle was built in 2008. Perhaps there was a production change mid-run? Otherwise there should be an option/RPO code or it should have been described in the options in the brochure or web site.

Regards,
/BTV

#10 ·
BigTallV said:
RPO DESCRIPTION
---- ---------------------
DD8 MIRROR, INSIDE, REARVIEW, TILT, AUTOMATIC LIGHT SENSITIVE (ELECTROCHROMATIC ISRV MIRROR AUTO DIMMING)
DS3 MIRROR 0/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED, MANUAL FOLDING, TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR, BODYCOLOR

I know my vehicle was built in 2008. Perhaps there was a production change mid-run? Otherwise there should be an option/RPO code or it should have been described in the options in the brochure or web site.

Regards,
/BTV
BTV,

here's a link to the online ordering guide. Click on print book and choose Outlook. It gives all rpo codes.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2009&regionID=1&divisionID=10

#11 ·
Thanks Lewisr,

I printed that "book" of RPO codes and went out to my glovebox, comparing all these printed codes to what my XR has. Among the many RPOs' my XR has is this one:

"DNP Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding and driver-side auto-dimming, body-color"

Tim hit the nail on the head identifying the uniqueness of the driver's side mirror.

Jim

As a side bar to this topic, I came across a number of RPO codes listed in my glove box that are not listed in this book of RPO codes. I am going to try a google search on the unlisted ones just for my own education/interest.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.