Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - Need assistance with this one. I have 2008 Saturn Outlook. It's been pretty reliable since I bought it in Sept. 2008. The engine began making noise so I took it to a trusted source and they informed me it would need to be taken to the dealer since it was still under warranty (53K miles). I took it to a Chevy dealer and after providing sound maintenance records for 3 1/2 years i was told I needed a new engine and that GM would not honor their powertrain warranty. After relaying that news the Service Manager handed this bulletin as the reason: #10-06-01-003A: Diagnostic Information on internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement.

They have quoted 7600 as the price to replace the engine.

I contacted my car insurance and they were of no help.

I need any advice I can get.

-jbt

·
Registered
252 Posts
What brand of oil filter was on it that failed? Do you still have that filter? You might have a case against the manufacturer of the oil filter if GM doesn't cover it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would guess the Anti-Drainback Valve disinegrated, and then got trapped in an oil passage which fed the top end... eventually starving the oil supply. You should get pictures from the dealer of what they found, and then send a letter to the filter manufacturer to start a claim.

In the Acadia forum, they have a Sticky topic regarding the use of certain Amsoil oil filters:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=4903.0

If you need an engine, Ebay is your friend:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Outlook+engine&_sacat=&_sop=16&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=3.6+GM+engine&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

In one of the listings, they have an '08 Outlook engine w/30k miles on it for $1450.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

The oil filter is / was a CHAMP PH48. I do have a couple pics i took at the dealer.

I'm currently checking w/ the garage (Sunoco station) that did the repair. He insists it was an acceptable oil filter for a 2008 Outlook....

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm sure it was the proper filter, but if it came apart and destroyed the engine, you have a claim against the filter manufacturer. It's not GMs problem, as much as you'd like it to be. Their warranty does not cover damage made by another company's failed product.

Get the facts from the dealer - what they found, who found it, the failed filter, images, etc. Unfortunately you're likely going to have a battle with the filter manufacturer. :angryfire:

·
Registered
353 Posts
jbtierney15 said:
Hello All - Need assistance with this one. I have 2008 Saturn Outlook. It's been pretty reliable since I bought it in Sept. 2008. The engine began making noise so I took it to a trusted source and they informed me it would need to be taken to the dealer since it was still under warranty (53K miles). I took it to a Chevy dealer and after providing sound maintenance records for 3 1/2 years i was told I needed a new engine and that GM would not honor their powertrain warranty. After relaying that news the Service Manager handed this bulletin as the reason: #10-06-01-003A: Diagnostic Information on internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement.

They have quoted 7600 as the price to replace the engine.

I contacted my car insurance and they were of no help.

I need any advice I can get.

-jbt
I am going with salguod on this one in regards to getting the information from the dealership as to what they found, who found the culprit and things of that nature. Please, let me know how things go.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
214 Posts
GM can not refuse to honor a warranty because you did not use their parts. However, the parts used must meet the same specifications that GM requires.

My issue with your problem is, did they refuse warranty just because they saw a non-GM oil filter and pulled that notice out of their bag of tricks?

Or did they really find evidence that the oil filter did in fact cause the problem, and did they document this evidence? If not, I think you could get GM to do the warranty.

If they did document, you have to get all of that information like others have said, and go after the oil filter manufacturer.

I would also suggest you go to this link for Bob Is The Oil Guy and sign up over there, then post the information you have posted here. You will get replies from people who eat, sleep, and live oil and oil filters, and might find some helpful ideas. Good luck and keep us informed.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=39&page=1

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had lots of folks suggest I post my UOA at BITOG but I've never been able to regsiter. I've signed up, gotten an email and verified my account then i get this message:

Thank you for verifying your email. Your account needs to be approved by an Administrator before you can log in. You will receive an email once this has been done.
Then I never get an email saying I've been approved and I can't log in. ???

This talk about inferior filters has me a bit worried. Is there a list somewhere showing good or bad filters? Of course, I can always just use GM, but I don't do my own oil changes and don't take it to the dealer to do so. What shoudl I look out for?

·
Registered
214 Posts
salguod said:
I've had lots of folks suggest I post my UOA at BITOG but I've never been able to regsiter. I've signed up, gotten an email and verified my account then i get this message:

Then I never get an email saying I've been approved and I can't log in. ???

This talk about inferior filters has me a bit worried. Is there a list somewhere showing good or bad filters? Of course, I can always just use GM, but I don't do my own oil changes and don't take it to the dealer to do so. What shoudl I look out for?
Even though you are having a problem registering at BITOG, you should be able to find good information about oil filters over there. Here's a link to their Oil Filter forum. 591 pages of oil filter information, let me know what you find out!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=6&page=1

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was thinking specifically about experience with our engine since there have been a few cases of filters taking engines out. I'll dig around there a bit, but 500+ pages is a bit much. :eek:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Interesting thread-
My buddy just bought a 2012 Traverse... and I mentioned the use of PF-63, PF-48, and aftermarket filters and the same scenario above.

For this reason-- I simply use PF-48- and buy them from WalMart for about $4.
No need to stir the pot with other filters.

·
Registered
396 Posts
rbarrios said:
... I simply use PF-48- and buy them from WalMart for about $4.
No need to stir the pot with other filters.
Probably a good idea for the future, but now I'm paranoid about the oil change I got at the muffler shop last weekend ... :p They advertise Valvoline products, I assume that's the kind of filter I got.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use Valvoline oil--- but never seen a Valvoline filter....

unless they are only used in the Valvoline quick lube places.

Id get an ACDelco and hand it to them....
Or do the change yourself.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Curiosity....

Apparently they do exist...

this is an image I found..

But the one called for on the Lambda is VO-88 (not the one pictured)

the latter lambdas call for VO-105

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'll have to poke my head under the hood and see what I've got. ::)

·
Registered
396 Posts
It looks like it's a Valvoline, although it's plain yellow with no brand markings that I could see, even using my nifty Craftsman telescoping mirror I got for Christmas. 8)

I was able to see these numbers:

VO 88
PH10060
L12222
The VO 88 was a larger font and is the Valvoline number that RB found. The PH number is the Fram P/N, the L is Purolator, I assume there for cross reference (or maybe made in the same factory by a contractor? ::)) Those numbers check out as far as being the correct filter, but I wasn't able to find an application guide for the Valvoline. Where did you find the info on applications? What is the year breakdown for the VO-88 vs. the VO-105?

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ah, thanks. Looks like the VO-88 is correct through 2010, the VO-105 for 2011 and up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi All - I wanted to update you on the latest in this ongoing - soon to be over saga.

I'll try to make a long story short: I ended up reaching out to Champ to file a claim, which in my untrained view was a long shot. I began that process a couple weeks ago by mailing the oil filter and suupporting documents to Fram.

Today I heard back from the case management company handling the file (representing Fram) and they told me that testing did in fact show the oil filter was defective!! They have agreed to pay for all repairs associated with the damaged filter, which in this case looks to a new engine.

Thank you all for your comments and guidance!! :thumb:

jbt

·
Registered
396 Posts
Excellent! Way to go Fram, nice to see a company step up and own their problems without a fight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts