Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is long, but detailed info.

Issues with 2009 Outlook XE (bought as demo with about 2500 miles) in August 2009
- Clicking noise from air vents – August 2009
- Engine light on and off – February 2010 – technician diagnosis as loose wires
- Non syncing signal lights – 2011 fixed after recall letter was taken to dealership
- Engine light on and off – 2011 – loose wires per technician
- Service seat belt and airbag light on and off - 2013
- Water hose pump – 2013 replaced per recall
- Air condition dies – 2013- out of pocket repair
- Steering column noise - 2013
- Engine light on – 2014- local muffler service codes still appear
- Steering column resistance – 2014
- Rain in car front passenger side – 2014
- Mold in car/ battery compartment – 2014 (this was the second battery we bought)
- RPM/ MPG out of wack
- Codes: PO420, PO300, PO301, PO303, POO17, POOO8

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I really won’t say where I should begin because I believe it will never end until someone in our family is severely hurt or dies. Seriously.

We purchased our 2009 Saturn Outlook XE from a Houston dealership in August 2009. It was a birthday gift from my husband. It was a demo and only had about 2700 miles on it. We researched several vehicles for two years before decided on this one because it was to be my last car purchase for a while.
About a week after the purchase the air condition vent would make a clicking noise when driving, but it eventually went away and didn’t cause any discomfort. For the first two years I made sure to take the vehicle to a GM dealer for oil changes and maintenance to ensure comfort and to utilize the warranty. Several times I would have to go back to remind them to reset the oil life monitor and to replace the old oil change sticker with a new one.
About 6 months after the purchase the check engine light came on and the service air bag light would periodically go on and off (depending on how it felt). I took the car in to Lone Star Chevrolet and was told that the lights were on because of a wire shortage. The technicians ‘fixed’ the loose wires and I was on my way. A week later service air bag light came on again and back to the dealership I went. This time when I drove off it came back on, so I turned around and went back to the dealership. By this time I was wondering why the wires were so loose in a brand new car that was only driven to and from work ( I taught at the time) and made a couple of family visits. In addition, I had children and it was a pain to continuously have them sitting in a dealership time after time to get a wire ‘fixed’ only to know that it would be on again in the near future.
Summer 2011, I was driving home and making a left turn when the turn signal just kept clicking on the inside. I got out to check and the clicking was going faster than the actual light on the outside was going. I made an appointment online to go back to Lone Star Chevy and gave details for the issue. I told the technician that I believed that this was another wire issue because sometimes it would click fast and other times it would sync with the actual light. Besides what else connects the signal light from the outside to the turn switch on the inside of the car. I was told, “No, it’s not a wire issue. It must be something else. “When they checked it nothing was defective, according to them. Some months later, I receive a letter in the mail confirming my thoughts about the bad wiring connections and the out of sync timing with the headlights. I took it into Lone Star Chevrolet with the letter and it was fixed. No more syncing issues.
Lone Star Chevrolet usually has coupons that you can take advantage of so I would get multi-point inspections for free. I even created an online chat session to ask specifically what they were supposed to check for because the multi-point reports were not always detailed in what may be wrong. However, once again, I never received a bad report from the dealership. The online chat personnel never got back to me to answer my inquiries.
The engine light would continue to blink on and off just as the service air bag light would. Now it was happening when the winter season arrived even though we kept our vehicle in the garage. Another replacement in 2011 was getting new tires for the vehicle.
2012 was a well to do year for the vehicle.
By 2013 we had a new addition to our family and I began to stay home which meant we literally couldn’t afford for anything to happen to the car. Well, as I was waiting in the car rider line for one of my children, I got out of the car to get something from the back. When I came back it was unbearably hot. I thought maybeI had accidently bumped the air switch to off. I checked and turned and looked and restarted the car just to make sure I wasn’t crazy. Like literally,the air was on when I stepped out the car. When I started the car this time, I heard a sighing noise from the air vent and then a sound of hollow air coming from the vent. The air was blowing but it was warm this time. It would go from cool to warm, but never back to cold. It just so happen to be fall and the severe hot weather had passed.
That same week, I received a letter from GM stating that the water hose would be replaced at no cost to the customer due to another recall. I took the car back to Lone Star Chevrolet and explained the issue to Mr. Michael Sanchez. He told me that the air and the water hose issue were not connected. I explained to him that there had been too many issues with the vehicle that later came back as recalls and I just wanted to someone to look at it. He told me, “That would be another diagnosis fee. Drive around for about 5 minutes and if it doesn’t get cooler then we will have to charge you to look at that.”
Upon taking the Outlook to our local mechanic I was told that the air compressor had gone out. They did everything they could for free because of the circumstances. In the end I had to pay $469 and some change for this repair. Also the local shop provided us with a car to use as they fixed ours. The air is now comfortable for the crazy Texas heat.
On June 6, 2014 I took the Outlook to my local mechanic to check for diagnosis codes. The codes that showed up with him were the same ones that showed up at the Autozone shops twice. He could not see what was wrong and referred me to a local muffler shop. The same codes were showing up at the muffler shop. The muffler shop informed me that they ordered a part directly from GM and that when the part arrived, it was the wrong one, which delayed the work on the vehicle. After $1676.00 and the same codes showing up, the engine is still on. In addition, GM informed the muffler shop of this: #10-06-01-003C: Diagnostic Information on Internal Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement –Sep3, 2013) This info also included multiple vehicles from 2004 that had the same issue.
On June 20, 2014, I contacted the Saturn division of GM (like I had before on other issues ). This time it was to inquire about why customers beyond 2004 didn’t get an emphasis on getting the oil changed at GM. I spoke to a lady named Anjuwan who couldn’t do much . She transferred me to a lady name Cienna. Cienna told me, “Your GM dealer is supposed to advise you on getting your oil changed with them.” I told her that if the issue was known ahead of time and I was notified I would have gotten the oil changed with GM all of the time, not just for the first 2 years. Cienna proceeded to tell me that the mileage on my vehicle makes it out of warranty as if I didn’t know. I simply wanted GM to waive the diagnosis fee because of the other issues that I have had with the car. I was willing to pay the repair fees.

June 23, 2014 – My husband was driving the Outlook and I was in another car. He was directly behind me and suddenly he pulled into a gas station and told me that the car’s steering wheel was resisting left turns. Previously we had heard a squeaking and clicking noise when turning as well. We were able to get home safely and park the car.
June 24, 2014- I go to unlock the car and the manual clicker didn’t work. Of course I am thinking that the battery in that system is out. I unlocked the door with the key and when I put the key in the ignition it would not come out. The engine light blinked quickly and nothing more. When my husband came home he discovered that the batter was dead. The next day as he begins replacing the battery we find mold underneath the battery cover and on the battery. There was also about 2 inches of water in the actual compartment that holds the battery. When my husband replaced the battery, the engine light went off and the autostart worked for about 10 minutes. Then the engine light returned.
July 5, 2014 – We were coming home from the zoo and it began to rain heavily. As we drove I felt water dripping on my foot. Upon arriving to our destination I noticed a full essence of rain happening beneath my feet. In previous times we would smell water in the vehicle, but could not determine its location. We took pictures this time since we could actually see where it was coming from.

July 6, 2014 – RPM / MPG
As I was in the HOV lane I tried to accelerate. I could hear the car transitioning, but the rpms and miles per hour did not match. At 3300 rpm the car was stuck at 60 miles per hour. When I took my foot off the gas the car slowed down but the needle was still on 60 miles per hour. The car randomly jereked as if it was pushing itself from behind. When I was able to stop the rpm was 2200 and the miles read 20 even though I was not moving.
July 8, 2014
I called Mac Haik Chevrolet to make an appointment. I was told that even though my car could come in they would not be able to look at it for 3 days because they are backed up and have been backed up for a month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
geeeeezzz... you know, I love my outlook, and ive had a few lil things pop up but nothing major, im praying it doesn't start all these weird tyings like so many have had. I hope you can get something going for you, its so aggravating, to pay good money for something that doesn't last.. I think this will be my last gm vehicle for life.

·
Registered
754 Posts
that P0017 and P0008 code-- I believe are timing chain related

you should be covered for this repair.

#11340C: Special Coverage Adjustment-Timing Chain Wear - (Feb 16, 2012)

Subject: 11340C – Special Coverage Adjustment — Timing Chain Wear

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with 2.8L/3.6L Engine (LP1/LY7/LLT)

Condition
On some 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles that are equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7), under certain driving conditions, and with the vehicle’s original oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the timing chain. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after February 17, 2012, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to February 17, 2012, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management System.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Service Procedure
Verify that the timing chain requires replacement. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information in SI.

• If the timing chain does NOT require replacement, no further action is required. Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage.
• If the timing chain requires replacement, refer to the appropriate timing chain replacement procedure in SI.
Courtesy Transportation – For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information
Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Code
Description
Labor Time
Net Item
T5853

Diagnostic Time Only – No Repair Required
0.1-0.3

N/A

T5854
Replace Timing Chain

— CTS, STS, SRX

— Acadia, OUTLOOK (FWD) (inc front wheel alignment)

— Acadia, OUTLOOK (AWD) (inc front alignment)

Add: Diagnostic Time
0.1-0.3

* The amount identified in “Net Item” should represent the actual sum total of the current GMCC&A dealer net price for the RTV sealant and refrigerant needed to perform the required repairs, not to exceed $9.64 USD, $17.20 CAD, plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost (for Export).

Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

Recently, you took your vehicle to your dealer to have Customer Satisfaction Program 10287 performed. Your dealer reprogrammed the engine control module to prevent premature wear of the timing chain and the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light. Further analysis has shown that the reprogramming may not fully correct this condition for all vehicles; we, therefore, are providing you with additional protection for the timing chain.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the timing chain. If premature wear of the timing chain occurs on your 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, equipped with a V6 engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that the Service Soon Engine light has illuminated due to timing chain wear.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle's Service Engine Soon light has illuminated due to timing chain wear, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by July 31, 2013, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division

Number

Text Telephones (TTY)

Cadillac
1-800-458-8006
1-800-833-2622

GMC
1-800-462-8782
1-888-889-2438

Saturn
1-800-553-6000
1-800-833-6000

Guam
65-6267-1752

Puerto Rico – English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico – Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

·
Registered
131 Posts
Talare said:
June 23, 2014 – My husband was driving the Outlook and I was in another car. He was directly behind me and suddenly he pulled into a gas station and told me that the car’s steering wheel was resisting left turns. Previously we had heard a squeaking and clicking noise when turning as well. We were able to get home safely and park the car.
It is a defective power steering pump. It is not resisting left turns as much as it is not providing power assist. The reason for the loss of power assist is "typically" traced to a worn flow control valve in the PS pump, so the the entire pump needs to be replaced.

As for the noise in the steering wheel, it is a defective pinion seal in the steering rack. If the steering rack is NOT leaking, the only part that needs to be replaced is the pinion seal housing, which is bolted onto the steering rack. In addition, when this part is replaced, the dealer or your independent mechanic should replace the PS fluid currently in the vehicle with Dexron VI transmission fluid. I've attached the cover page of PI0029H, which details the procedure for curing the steering wheel noise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Talare said:
- Rain in car front passenger side – 2014
- Mold in car/ battery compartment – 2014 (this was the second battery we bought)
Do you have a sunroof? If so, one or more drains are clogged, which is causing both conditions mentioned above.

Typically, the drains can be cleared by the dealer for ~1.5 hrs. of labor. It's important to have this done, because moisture can enter the fuse boxes located underneath both driver and passenger A-pillars (below the drains), and this can lead to further electrical gremlins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts