Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 7 months, I have failed to try and determine what is causing the problem, there are no error codes, and the service dept. cannot "Reproduce the problem" After the vehicle is driven 20-25 miles and parked for at least 5-6 hours it acts as if it does not want to start, it's not a battery issue. The starter turns the engine over with a regular cycle then the starter cycle speeds up to try and start the vehicle, almost like the vehicle is out of gas/no ignition. Sometimes it starts after the extended crank, sometimes we have to turn the ignition of and try again. The funny thing is that it never happens on the first start in the morning but happens almost every time when going to lunch and going home at the end of a work day. The frequency with the problem is beginning to increase and I don't want to get stranded somewhere because the vehicle decides it does not want to start and the dealership cannot reproduce the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
252 Posts
There have been problems with them not starting when low (1/4 tank) or less of fuel and on an incline. The theory I heard is that the fuel pump looses suction and the pump drains and is unable to prime with fuel due to the incline and pickup being dry. Your dealer garage and would be flat so it wouldn't happen there.

Any possibility here?

·
Registered
754 Posts
almost sounds like the engine is flooded.
Next time turn key to on-(dont start)
press the gas pedal all the way down and release( this commands the computer that the engine is flooded).

then try to start the car
the computer will then crank the engine- but will not inject fuel.
this to clear the flooded engine.

Members have reported the no start condition- and when the tow truck driver shows up- they do the gas pedal 'trick'. and it starts up.
(Im not sure of pressing on the gas pedal and holding it down while cranking is the proper way-- I think its like mentioned above).

But if you are able to start it--- then comes trying to find out why its flooding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you know.......The problem actually happened at the dealership this time! Notes from the service ticket:

"Found fuel pressure low at 50 psi and fuel pump will not hold prime. Drained fuel tank and replaced pump. Refilled tank after pump replacement"

Just picked the vehicle up yesterday, waiting to see if this will indeed cure the problem.

Thanks, for all the replies....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts