Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 11 hours with the fan on the front fan stopped blowing ., during a trip to Fla with temps in the high 80's.The rear worked fine for the dogs.
I turned it off for 5 minutes then it worked fine again.
Apparently there is a resistor that needs replacing.
Does anyone know where it is ??

·
Registered
214 Posts
There might not be a resistor according to what I found in the service manual during a quick search. It sounds like the HVAC control module controls the speed of the fan through a control processor (one and the same?). However, there is a Blower Motor Resistor labor code, which just says remove blower motor .06 hours. GM usually puts resistors near the blower motor, so you might want to check there.

Front Blower Motor Control Processor

The front blower motor control processor is an interface between front HVAC control module and front blower motor. The front blower control processor regulates supply voltage and ground circuits to front blower motor. The front HVAC control module provides a blower speed signal to the control processor in order to command the desired blower motor speed. The control processor uses the blower motor ground as a low side control to adjust the blower motor speed.

The blower motor forces air to circulate within the vehicle's interior. The vehicle operator determines the blower motors speed by placing the blower motor switch in a desired speed position or by selecting automatic operation. In manual operation, once a blower speed is selected, the blower speed remains constant, until a new speed is selected. In automatic operation, the HVAC control module will determine what blower speed is necessary in order to achieve or maintain a desired temperature.

As the requested blower speed increases, the following conditions occur:

The HVAC control module increases the amount of time that the blower motor speed control circuit is modulated to ground.
The voltage and duty cycle, measured between the blower motor speed control circuit and ground, decrease.

As the requested blower speed decreases, the following conditions occur:

The HVAC control module decreases the amount of time that the blower motor speed control circuit is modulated to ground.
The voltage and duty cycle, measured between the blower motor speed control circuit and ground, increase.

Here is a YouTube video showing the removal of the fan motor from an Enclave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnyKJlHusxI

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
754 Posts
On my Trailblazer.. I would occasionally lose the #5 speed setting. (manual AC).
Eventually #5 stopped working. or was it #4?

Anyways... the fix was simple. down by the blower motor- there was a resistor pack.
Piece that plugs into the blower motor. You could actually order the part at your local auto parts.
Swapping the part was the fix.

It may be similar on these.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: front fan motor resistor update

Up date on blower motor.
With help from a forum member I replaced the resistor pack. $ 41 at the GM dealer in FLA .It still did not work right.
The blower spun at only a very slow speed , so I had it out and spun it manually , then put 12 volts to it and it works fine.
Having said that I am going to change the blower motor for $91 from Gm as I am anual about my stuff and I want it to work s it should.
I am amazed at the low cost of GM parts.
My wifes last car was a VW and when you need parts you bent over and grabed your ankles.
FYI no more off shore vehicles for me EVER.!!!!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
So where is the resistor pack? The information I had posted was from my Alldatadiy subscription for my 2010 Traverse. I could find no info or schematics for the resistor for the blower motor other than what I posted in my first reply.

Looks like it might be time to order the $150.00 Helms GM Service Manual! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you take the noise panel off under the glove box , remove 2 plastic pegs,you will see the bottom of the blower motor.
Follow the wires to a terminal on the left where a gang of two wires connect.
Pry away the plastic holders, top and bottom and pull it out. It is on the left side of the blower motor. It is about 3" X 1.5". It does not look like a normal resistor. It is actually a module.
It's got cone like tenacles on the inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Going to pick up a new Blower Motor Resistor for our 08 Outlook. $152 @ Auto Zone, but it comes with a Lifetime warranty. It's worth it. Since my wife, Andrea drives it & we live in Florida, it's tops on the list

·
Registered
353 Posts
Charlie B said:
Going to pick up a new Blower Motor Resistor for our 08 Outlook. $152 @ Auto Zone, but it comes with a Lifetime warranty. It's worth it. Since my wife, Andrea drives it & we live in Florida, it's tops on the list
How did things go with changing out the blower motor resistor?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

1 - 9 of 9 Posts