Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name is Dustin and I am an Army Soldier stationed in Germany. we have a 2009 Saturn Outlook XE AWD which has been making a clunking sound (and feeling) from the front passenger side. My wife told me its been happening for awhile so I took a look under there this weekend while doing an oil change. It seems the front passenger side strut is broken somehow and the spring is more compressed while staying still then the drivers side.

My question is this, can I replace just the two front struts and use the springs which are on there or do i need to replace the springs as well. As you can imagine parts are expensive to order here, so i would like to use the springs already on there if possible.

Also, I found front struts from autozone for $150 each shipped to my APO address. This does not show the spring though, and I cant seem to find springs to replace them. Any help with his would be appreciated.

Last: Can I do this work myself in our on post DIY car care center. They have lifts, air tools, and spring compressors and I have done suspension work on several Jeeps before, but never a newer SUV like this..... Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additionally,

I have pictures of the front drivers and passengers side strut but i do not know how to post them. I tried in the attachment area and it keeps giving me an error.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I recently ordered these below from Amazon.... theres a bit of a wait on Amazon-- but they are CHEAP compared to autoparts.
I believe someone on the Acadia forum ordered some of these from the Autoparts and had them in a few days.. though the price higher.
These are the same ones your 2009 uses.
GO check out Amazon and see when they will ship again....

Gabriel ready mount struts. G57109
I ordered these back in April .
Amazon-
Price-$119.71
CA 9% Tax- $10.77
Total- $130.48 EACH unit.

They have arrived.

No need to rent or buy a coil compressor.
No need to swap over old parts from the old assembly to the new strut.

You remove the old unit as a whole- and put in the new.

Normally you have to remove the old coil and rubber parts and put in a new strut.
With this- coil, rubber, strut, is all new...

Ill be changing mine in the next few months.
But wanted to let you all know they are out there.
(1 other member has also gotten his.. and installed them).

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
as you can see from the video- you can DIY.

Also- thank you for your service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rbarrios said:
as you can see from the video- you can DIY.

Also- thank you for your service.
THANK YOU for all the help! I think I will go ahead and order those today, as they are on sale on amazon and listed prime which ships here decently fast (normally ~ 1 week) Also big thanks again on the videos, saving me all kinds of labor charges :) and your welcome, I love what I do!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday with the Gabriel Ready mounts. Very easy if you have done things like brakes before. Hardest part was removing the nut that holds the link to the anti-sway bar. Need to hold inner bolt with 8mm while holding outer with 18mm. You need to jack the wheel assembly up under the lower control arm against the spring to remove the tension on the link before removing. I made the mistake of trying to take it off without relieving the stress and sheared off my 1/4 socket drive adapter due to the overwhelming force. Other side was much easier once jacked.
Other than that - the rest is very simple.

Another note - I did not need to remove my wiper arms. By removing all of the outer (black) clips, and the two inner (white clips near windshield) on each side, and slightly bending up the cover ends over the strut towers, I could easily remove the nuts with socket extenders.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just did mine too.
heres the 8mm and 18 mm at work.

on the Traverse- I removed the wiper arms easily with a battery post puller. ($6.xx at auto parts)

I did remove the cover-
on mine- no white clips-- it has some plastic tabs that slide under the glass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
rbarrios said:
Just did mine too.
heres the 8mm and 18 mm at work.

on the Traverse- I removed the wiper arms easily with a battery post puller. ($6.xx at auto parts)

I did remove the cover-
on mine- no white clips-- it has some plastic tabs that slide under the glass.

Our car having been driven in the Upstate NY snow belt for 5+ years, my 8mm bolt looked like it just came off the Titanic. Nice to see a clean vehicle underbody with 100k.

·
Registered
754 Posts
ahhhh- rust belt.

No rust here- Nuts came right off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts