Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to replace my OEM gas cap with one that locks. I'd like to remove the OEM cap without cutting the lanyard...anyone out there know how to do this?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think the caps are built with the lanyard on them and then attached to the vehicle. Does a locking gas cap come with a lanyard?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
The locking gas caps I have do not have lanyards.

My husband just snipped it off close to the car you can see where it attaches to the car. Yet I don't recall seeing any type of screw head your could detach the lanyard from the car. You would think I would notice by now with all the times I have filled up the gas tanks.

Have locking caps on both Saturns and the original cap is in the glove box just in case.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sailfish said:
The locking gas caps I have do not have lanyards.

My husband just snipped it off close to the car you can see where it attaches to the car. Yet I don't recall seeing any type of screw head your could detach the lanyard from the car. You would think I would notice by now with all the times I have filled up the gas tanks.

Have locking caps on both Saturns and the original cap is in the glove box just in case.
You put your own gas in?, I think I'm the only one at my house that can/wants to do it ::) It's too dirty for you know who :binky:

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
6Sixathome said:
You put your own gas in?, I think I'm the only one at my house that can/wants to do it ::) It's too dirty for you know who :binky:

LOL!!!! Yes I stand at the pump and fill not only the Outlook but our VUE.

Heck way back in a time long long ago, when I owned a 1968 Plymouth I even changed the oil. Only then it was because I could take it to my parents home drive it into the garage where all the necessary equipment was at hand, as well as my Brother just in case.

Of course now...sorry...like having a manicure every week...love the look of red nail polish instead of grease. ;D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I could never find a locking gas cap to fit either of my Saturns. (Outlook and Sky) Tried Napa and even the dealer, both had caps that didn't securely lock onto the filler neck and could be removed with little effort. :angryfire:

Anyone have a source and part number for one that WORKS ?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
papamike said:
I could never find a locking gas cap to fit either of my Saturns. (Outlook and Sky) Tried Napa and even the dealer, both had caps that didn't securely lock onto the filler neck and could be removed with little effort. :angryfire:

Anyone have a source and part number for one that WORKS ?
I found the one to fit the Outlook at PepBoys back in the spring. I had go to the parts department at the back of the store and they looked up the part and had one in stock.

That is where I also purchased the one for the VUE a few years back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts