Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
jfullam,

Sad. But I understand it's a business first. Saturn sales have dwindled sharply year to year. Personally, they make a better than average American car. My ownership experience is an '06 Saturn VUE (yup, those polymer clad doors and fenders type) with a 3.5 Liter Honda V-6. A great automobile that gave me 19-20 mpg around town and 27 mpg on the highway (it was a rocket too). I had NO issues with that vehicle. Stepped away from it this year (needed something bigger that was capable of pulling a 4,000 lbs + trailer. The XR FWD was the answer. Think GM's thinking of saturating the market with 4 versions of the Lambda was a mistake. Too much of the same thing.

In reading the news accounts on Penske's backing out of the Saturn brand, I read that Renault was the car maker Penske was negotiating with for product to be built after 2011. Renault backed out of the deal. Read that here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090930/bs_nm/us_penske_saturn_3

There is a lot of discussion on this failing on the Acadia site here: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5403.0

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
jsachs1 said:
Well that kinda sucks. :angryfire:
Resale will be in the shi**er. :'(
John
Why would it affect resale? Actually, the Outlooks will be MORE valuable, since not as many will have been built as the other Lambdas. Something to think about, look at how classic cars that are low production numbers have HUGE dollars speant on them at the auctions. I really don't think it will make much difference on resale value, anyone buying a used car won't care if there are new versions of that car running around, all they care about is the vehicle they are buying, and these should hold their value the same as any Acadia.

·
Registered
18 Posts
09Enclave said:
Why would it affect resale? Actually, the Outlooks will be MORE valuable, since not as many will have been built as the other Lambdas. Something to think about, look at how classic cars that are low production numbers have HUGE dollars speant on them at the auctions. I really don't think it will make much difference on resale value, anyone buying a used car won't care if there are new versions of that car running around, all they care about is the vehicle they are buying, and these should hold their value the same as any Acadia.
The average person looking for a used crossover,IMO/IME, will be nervous about getting parts and service.I had 25 years in the auto business,know buyer habits,and I stand by my message.It is what it is. ::)
Classic cars........... I don't think we will live long enough to see an Outlook reach "classic car " status. :banghead:
John

Enclave,
If you're so sure you are right,I'll sell you my Outlook for what I got in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not going to happen (about parts). They would not leave a customer out to dry, they have to have parts available for at least 10 years, I believe. Besides, most of the major mechanicals are shared with the Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse...should be no problem getting them. As for taillights, things like that....it's no different than my 04 Bonneville that was discontinued two years after we bought it, and now Pontiac as a brand is done after this year, however I have no fear of getting parts, there's SO many vehicles out there, they have to supply parts for repair purposes. It's a HUGE business, and if for some reason the GM parts are not offered, there will be SOME supplier who will step up and make the parts, there's money to be made there. How do you explain vehicles out there that are over 15 years old, still on the road? They don't make those vehicles anymore, but people seem to be able to keep them on the road...why is that? I guess I can see the uneducated consumer thinking it's not wise to buy a used Saturn, but if they really believe there will be no parts, that's just ignorance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Enclave,
I agree with a lot of your points,buttttttttttt human nature is strange when it comes to spending the bucks.Consumers want NO HASSEL deals.The thread on warranty,on this boared,already has people in a worry. :sosad:
Trust me,dealers will service their own first. :'(
John

·
Registered
80 Posts
jsachs1 said:
Enclave,
I agree with a lot of your points,buttttttttttt human nature is strange when it comes to spending the bucks.Consumers want NO HASSEL deals.The thread on warranty,on this boared,already has people in a worry. :sosad:
Trust me,dealers will service their own first. :'(
John
I guess I misunderstood some, thought we were talking about used Outlooks (resale value), not warranties on new ones, although I undertand there will be some few out there sold used that will have some factory warranty left, but every GM dealer is supposed to service all other GM for warranty repairs, I think this has been the case for some time, but there may be a few bad apple dealers out there who will turn their nose up at someone who didn't buy the vehicle there, OH WELL, they'll have to deal with it. Anyway, so very sorry that any of you on here think your Outlooks will be worth less because Saturn will be no more, it shouldn't make any difference, but I get your point....not everyone will think logically.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Gm dealer here in Amarillo jumped to work on both of my Saturns(wifes Aura and my former Outlook). Since looking at other dealers to trade in my wifes Aura, those dealers have called offering to work on it for us. People will work on them, don't see a problem there. What I see happening is people trading in all the Saturns thus flooding the used market. That will lower the trade in values as GM dealers will have to many on the lots.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
GM basically screwed themselves, four of the same crossovers but with different brands. Some brands favored by GM more than others got the better advertising. I've said it before and I'll say it again all GM needs is a high end and a low end crossover, Buick and Chevy. JMHO! ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
6Sixathome said:
GM basically screwed themselves, four of the same crossovers but with different brands. Some brands favored by GM more than others got the better advertising. I've said it before and I'll say it again all GM needs is a high end and a low end crossover, Buick and Chevy. JMHO! ;)
In a perfect world that would work, but they can't just do that. So many people are brand loyal, within GM, and won't buy another GM brand. (sounds silly, but it's true) Do you realize that 80% of Oldsmobile buyers went elsewhere after that brand was cancelled? I read that somewhere recently. Only 20% were returning to GM because they liked GM, but most feel that Oldsmobile was their brand, then didn't think about another GM. Now that Pontiac and Saturn are going away, they might have the same drop off, because people buying Pontiacs/Saturns want those, NOT Chevys, Buicks, GMC's, or Cadillacs. Will all of you automatically go buy a GMC Acadia to replace your Outlook (or Enclave/Traverse)? I bet there's a large percentage that won't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't post here often but I wanted to chime in on this topic. Between my wife and I, we have leased/purchased 12 GM vehicles in the last 10 years, all a mix of Chevy, GMC, Saturn, Hummer and Pontiac. Once GM started rebranding heavy in the 90's I think the true sub-loyalty began to disappear and customers who were loyal were loyal to the dealer not the brand. That is where the Olds loss came from, customers that were disenfranchised by GM's handling of them and their dealer not so much by the loss of the badge. Why come back for more abuse? If GM handles the Saturn and Pontiac transition well, they will keep customers. If my Outlook were totaled or stolen tomorrow and I was in the market for another, I would consider the Traverse or Acadia equally as I had when buying the Outlook in the first place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally would not go back to a Gm brand. I bought a Saturn because of the Saturn product line. Now that GM has axed that brand Im already feeling the affects. Most Saturn dealers here are almost done offering service to Saturn vehicles. That said they are returning most of their part stock to the US. My Onstar stopped working 2 days ago and normally no big deal I would take it to the dealer and have it repaired. But now the dealers have no parts, my mirror was bad which killed the onstar and it has to be sent back to Calgary from the US. This sounds sad to me because there has to be 10 GM dealers in Calgary that should have the same part for a Traverse or a Acadia, but no they wont use their parts to service Saturn customers. This is a precurser to what will happen when we move to a GM dealer for service.

·
Registered
161 Posts
caperj,

I found my current Saturn dealer, when a part was needed on my VUE, would have to be overnighted to the dealership from the then Spring Hill plant in Tennessee. Bottom line, whether Saturn is around or not, all dealers are using this "just in time" method to keep cash from being tied up in inventory. I realize you are in Canada, not sure whereabouts, but I would not hesitate to follow through with the existing dealership network remaining under GM of Canada, whether it's a Buick, Caddy, GMC or Chevy. I would find it hard to believe the good dealers remaining would not welcome the opportuinity to service your Outlook.

Just my .02

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like I said,"resale will be in the shi**er". :angryfire:
It's unfortunate,cause my Outlook is one of the nicest,well thought out vehicles I've ever owned. :sosad:
John

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sad but true. I tried to order a simple belt guide for the 3rd row (it's that little plastic guide attached to a short bungee) but couldn't get it through my local Saturn dealer because they were closing and wouldn't be able to get the part from the US warehouse in time due to a 2 week typical lead time. They of course gave me the GM part number and suggested I try at a couple other local dealers.

Did that (won't name names here) at a Chevrolet dealer who has serviced my Pontiacs ('05 Montana SV6 and '05 Pontiac Pursuit -> read: Cobalt to US folks), and figured they'd help me out with my '09 Outlook. Although the parts staff were kind enough to look into it, they were unable to order the part as 'warranty' and would only order it for me if I were going to pay out of pocket. Naturally they redirected me to another local dealer (Saturn) that was supposedly still open and also suggested their neighbouring Chev dealer (has same owner). Called them and they ordered the part on warranty for me.

So not sure if there's a lack of willingness on part of the dealerships to service/warranty vehicles or if GM (Canada) is only designating specific dealers to handle a given region. But the fact is not all dealers are eagerly accepting Saturn owners for warranty business. You think they would.

Regards,
/BTV

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
jsachs1 said:
Well that kinda sucks. :angryfire:
Resale will be in the shi**er. :'(
John
You were right, just look at KBB and NADA :eek:hno: :banghead:

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
BigTallV said:
So not sure if there's a lack of willingness on part of the dealerships to service/warranty vehicles or if GM (Canada) is only designating specific dealers to handle a given region. But the fact is not all dealers are eagerly accepting Saturn owners for warranty business. You think they would.
All GM dealers were sent a letter in January allowing them to do warranty work on Saturns. Most wont because they think they wont get paid from Saturn, when in fact it all comes from GM now. I contacted a local GMC dealer form my Outlook and they refused. Went to another and they did the work and won my patronage. When first dealer called a couple of months ago offering to work on my car (not knowing who they were talking to) I told them they lost me to another GMC dealer and they reaped the benefits of an Acadia sale on the trade in of my Outlook. When asked why I went to the other dealer, the response I got back was - oh :-[. I hate it when the reps don't think the people they are talking to are well informed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts