Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it does not look good for us Saturn owners. With GM's plan reveiled today, heads are on the chopping block .
Just Google- gm plan submitted to congress and click on all the doom and gloom that you can stand :eek:hno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
??? If saturn is one of the dealers that will be sent to it's early grave I think that the biggest question would be what will happen with our warranties? Will the other lambda dealers pick up on them?? :bs:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we will be able to go to any chevy/buick/gmc dealer to any warrenty work done. I was talking to the head of the service dept @ our local chevy/buick and he said that he can do emergency warrenty work on saturn and/or anything minor besides warrenty work. He thinks that the time is near that other dealerships besides saturn will be able to do all warrenty work, its a matter of stocking parts and figuring out what GM wants to do saturn. The plan said GM will accelerate discussions between the dealerships and them to find alternatives for saturn. What does that mean ???, will they quit making saturns today or let's say 2012? Who knows, it's hard for me because GM is finally replacing my 07' water leaker with a new 09'---the deal is done, I just have to find the right Outlook which has been a bit of a task because it seems that they all are plain janes or loaded to the hilt. I think that I have figured out though, I'm looking at one like rcdice's with the ouside being the same but the inside being all black and having every option but nav. We will see and I'll let you guy's know how it all plays out.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
In the beginning Saturn stood on it's own. Own plant, own cars, own developement. I think it should go back to that. Take Springhill back from Chevy and do their own. The old selling structure worked well until GM changed it for them a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As of August 2008 Saturn was added to all of the dealer groups. We just purchased our Outlook 1 month ago and were told by the Manager of the dealership we purchased from that any GM dealership can work on any GM vehicle, warranty work included. The Saturn dealer can and do work on Pontiac, Buick, etc. I can verify this by adding that we had the Tranny update done at our local dealership which is a Chevy/Cad./Buick dealer, not Saturn. I had to fight a little to get them to look it up but they were able to help us.

As for what is needed to do to ensure that Saturn does not get the axe I don't know the answer. I think a lot of the problems that GM is facing is a result of: Good quality vehicles, which means less maintainance and longer ownership of the vehicles. High replacement costs of vehicles, which I understand is due some to inflation but I also believe it is due to greed as well. Just my $.02.

Kevin

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think the warranty is of any concern. GM has to honor the warranty on all Saturn vehicles or it may face class action law suit (well, that is if GM itself can survive). Repair after warranty can be arranged as well. After all, Acadia and Outlook are very similar vehicles.

What absolutely went down the toilet is the resale value of our Outlooks. By the time we are ready to sell these Outlooks, Saturn won't be there any more. Who would want to buy an used vehicle of an obsolete brand? Just think how likely you'd want to buy an used Oldsmobile today.

All Saturn owners are @#*%ed.

And if GM goes under, it'll bring down many of the suppliers and at least Chrysler with it. In that case, most of the American vehicle owners are @#$%ed.

As for me, I work at an automotive supplier in Michigan. If GM goes under, the resale value of the car would be the least of my concerns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tradewind said:
As for me, I work at an automotive supplier in Michigan. If GM goes under, the resale value of the car would be the least of my concerns.
I feel for ya. I would have to assume that in Michigan, a lot is riding on the future of the big 3.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, you are right, especially in southeast Michigan. Very large numbers of companies have in one way or another something to do with the auto industry. If any one of the big 3 goes down, it'll drag down lots of the suppliers with it. Since many of the suppliers supply all 3, if a few of the key suppliers are pulled under by 1 OEM, it'll be hard for the remaining 2 as well because they cannot survive on a broken supply chain. From there, the destruction ripples out like a shock wave, ruining everything in its path.

Now that said, I don't know if it's a good idea to prevent big 3's bankruptcy at all cost. They just have too many bags on their shoulders. It's like a forest that hasn't had a fire for 100 years. The ground it covered with 6 ft deep fallen leaves, littered with dead trees, and dry branches. It makes fire prevention harder and harder. Eventually, it'll reach the point of being impossible. The only way (and nature's way) to solve the problem is to have a forest fire, burn the junks out, and start anew. That fire would be the bankruptcy.

But of course no one wants to be in the forest when the fire burns. Unfortunately I am right in the depth of it. The poll shows that 60% of the Americans is against a bail out. I don't blame them. If I were else where, I'd be against it also. But to survive, I have to hope for a bail out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now it is official. Saturn brand is for sale. We Saturn owners better hope someone is going to buy it, or it'll become an obsolete brand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
tradewind said:
Now it is official. Saturn brand is for sale. We Saturn owners better hope someone is going to buy it, or it'll become an obsolete brand.
Where did you hear that? I haven't seen anything recently.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ya where did you hear that i hadn't seen that. I had seen that they are reviewing their brands...but nothing conclusive.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
According to my dealer here they are negotiating to be independent again and have their own factory, like in the old days.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope some company who knows how to build cars well buys Saturn, That is the last thing we need is the Saturn brand disgraced by crapy build practices. I hope they keep the current line-up and keep building the OUTLOOK. I really like my new 09', it just feels tighter and drives alot smoother than the 07' :cheers: With my expirence with the 07' I doubt that I will by a first year vehicle again and I know that there are some 07's driving around with no problems and that is fine and dandy but it was'nt the case for me :(

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
6Sixathome said:
I hope some company who knows how to build cars well buys Saturn, That is the last thing we need is the Saturn brand disgraced by crapy build practices. I hope they keep the current line-up and keep building the OUTLOOK. I really like my new 09', it just feels tighter and drives alot smoother than the 07' :cheers: With my expirence with the 07' I doubt that I will by a first year vehicle again and I know that there are some 07's driving around with no problems and that is fine and dandy but it was'nt the case for me :(
The moment that Saturn leaves GM the Outlook is gone. Even if they were to stay with GM and go back to Springhill and make the quality vehicles they did in the beginning the Outlook is gone as there is no room for it. Which is sad to say because of my loyalty to Saturn and love of the Outlook. But alot of things can change in 6 or 7 years when it is time to get a new vehicle. In addition, there is also the thought the VUE would be gone as well as the sky. Basically we would be looking at a whole new lineup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope SAIC buys Saturn. SAIC is one of the major reasons why GM can even last until today. They are making very good profit in China in the last decade. If memory serves, in 2006, on average, for each vehicle sold in the US, GM makes something like $130. For Each vehicle sold in China, the profit is over $2000. GM and SAIC split the profit, each making over $1k.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The thing of it is the Traverse is going to be GM's golden child and clobber the Acadia and the Enclave, just look @ the monthly figures of how many Chevy sold compaired to the others. I would not be suprised to see only two left, Traverse and Enclave or maybe if things get really bad for GM maybe just the Traverse. You can go to any town in America and there is a Chevy dealer. The Traverse is priced right so just about anyone can get one and when it breaks down you wont have far to take it to get it fixed. I've driven one and it compare's to the Outlook drivewise but I like my Outlook looks better. GM probably saw this economic thing ahead of time and waited to release the Traverse untill the timing was right :eek: (not really). I'm going to the NAIAS in two weeks and it will be interesting to see was Saturn has on display and GM for that matter! One more thing I now 500 miles on the new Outlook and past the break-in point so when it came to pass a box truck going 40 mph well lets just say I let the mules under the hood breath a little and went from 40 to 75 like that with no effert from the engine and the trans shifting was awsome! :thumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
GM is going to be at the autoshow. Nissan, Infinity, Ferrari, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Rolls-Royce, and Porsche are no-show. I guess Detroit is just not chic enough for these brands. They'd rather spend the money in LA and NY shows.

Saturn is going to have a show there. But it doesn't mean anything. I have gone to the Detroit autoshow every year for the last 10 years. Even Oldsmobil had a show there AFTER GM announced that the brand was to be obsolete.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tradewind said:
GM is going to be at the autoshow. Nissan, Infinity, Ferrari, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Rolls-Royce, and Porsche are no-show. I guess Detroit is just not chic enough for these brands. They'd rather spend the money in LA and NY shows.

Saturn is going to have a show there. But it doesn't mean anything. I have gone to the Detroit autoshow every year for the last 10 years. Even Oldsmobil had a show there AFTER GM announced that the brand was to be obsolete.
I did'nt make it to the NAIAS, How was it? I heard it was scaled back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts