Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one suggest removing & replacing the A/C buttons on the instrument panel? I know current GM vehicles use the same A/C interface and all the ones I have ever sat in have had ugly Green/Faded buttons. Of course our Outlooks are better than that ;) and I kinda want to make any of my "guest" passengers jealous that my Outlook hasn't fallen victim to the "Green Button" epidemic. Any help or leads are appreciated.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I have this issue as well but not as severe. Started to show wear right after bumper to bumper warranty expired.

There is another thread on this topic: http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=1043.0 and others on the Acadia forum.

As far as I know I haven't seen any solutions other than stickers. The thread above references obtaining replacement climate controls off ebay but when you look at them they are all used and have the worn off buttons lol.

Love to hear from someone how much the replacement controls are and is and is it possible to do as a DIY job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crash said:
I have this issue as well but not as severe. Started to show wear right after bumper to bumper warranty expired.

There is another thread on this topic: http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=1043.0 and others on the Acadia forum.

As far as I know I haven't seen any solutions other than stickers. The thread above reference getting replacement climate controls off ebay but when you look at them they are all used and have the worn off buttons lol.

Love to hear from someone how much the replacement controls are and is and is it possible to do as a DIY job.
I got hold of the dealership service manual for the Acadia, Enclave, Traverse, and outlook I found this:



It looks like all you need to do is get a really thin spudger and go to town, I found this as well:




On the brake-down sheet it is part #2 however I don't know which item on the list is the right one... Do you think the one "W/o Temperature Control" will come with the buttons and not the actual "Thermostat"? One is considerably cheaper than the other... I would love to get this rectified and help my fellow Outlooker's with this BIG problem!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also forgot to mention that where I live along with basically the rest of Texas we have really hard, and dirty water so a basic refrigerator filter doesn't cut it. I have to fill up large 5 Gallon water-jugs from my local Walmart on my weekly grocery trips (Thanks saturn for creating such a large trunk!) anyway, the jugs have a tendency to slide around and slam into the "walls" of my Outlook. Now the plastic/fabric panel that covers the jack it cracked and needs to be replaced. I looked at all of the GM parts website and I haven't been able to find a site that has it in stock. Heres the Diagram:



It's Part 16 and 17 but they are not available, any tips/Help?

I already searched:
http://www.gmpartscenter.net/ (Shown above)
www.gmpartsdirect.com/
www.gmpartsonline.net/
www.acdelco.com/

will continue searching and will post if I find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
If you are replacing the complete head unit for the HVAC controller, and that is a picture of yours in the first post, I believe you will need the one with the temperature control. The picture shows the AUTO function, which I believe you set the temperature for each half of the car (driver side, passenger side) correct? If you order without the temperature control, you will not receive the head unit with the AUTO function.

Look in you glove box where you will find the label with the RPO codes. These are factory codes showing what equipment and options your car was built with. I believe the Auto with temperature control code will be CJ2. Manual should be C67. That will tell you for sure what unit you have.

Also make sure that you order the correct part number because the Acadia uses red background lights, and the Traverse and Enclave a bluish/green light . I'm not sure what color the Outlook uses.

Have you tried checking with some of the larger salvage yards (LKQ for one)? Or check this link for a network of salvage yards. You can always call or email asking for pictures or an honest description of the parts. They may have the correct head unit for less, and maybe even the interior parts you need. Search for A/C Heater control

http://www.car-part.com/

One other yard I have used in the past for late model GM parts at a decent price, great service, and fast shipping, has been Schram Auto Parts. They used to have two yards in Michigan. They used to be a sponsor on the Acadia board, but I don't think they are anymore. Well worth a phone call to them. When searching his listings, search for temperature control head unit.

http://www.schramauto.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ls973800 said:
If you are replacing the complete head unit for the HVAC controller, and that is a picture of yours in the first post, I believe you will need the one with the temperature control. The picture shows the AUTO function, which I believe you set the temperature for each half of the car (driver side, passenger side) correct? If you order without the temperature control, you will not receive the head unit with the AUTO function.

Look in you glove box where you will find the label with the RPO codes. These are factory codes showing what equipment and options your car was built with. I believe the Auto with temperature control code will be CJ2. Manual should be C67. That will tell you for sure what unit you have.

Also make sure that you order the correct part number because the Acadia uses red background lights, and the Traverse and Enclave a bluish/green light . I'm not sure what color the Outlook uses.

Have you tried checking with some of the larger salvage yards (LKQ for one)? Or check this link for a network of salvage yards. You can always call or email asking for pictures or an honest description of the parts. They may have the correct head unit for less, and maybe even the interior parts you need. Search for A/C Heater control

http://www.car-part.com/

One other yard I have used in the past for late model GM parts at a decent price, great service, and fast shipping, has been Schram Auto Parts. They used to have two yards in Michigan. They used to be a sponsor on the Acadia board, but I don't think they are anymore. Well worth a phone call to them. When searching his listings, search for temperature control head unit.

http://www.schramauto.com/
The outlook uses a white light, it is the correct part, I just used the enclave diagram from the manual. What I was referring to is that in the manuals graphic the entire a/c control panel is removed I was wondering if the actual unit (ex. the screen and actual "Brains") could be removed from the old panel and moved to the new one. I just don't know what the A/C buttons are attached to (The A/C unit or the front panel) I'll check whenever I clean my car on Saturday.

Oh, and "AUTO" makes the A/C preform like a thermostat, like if you have it set to 60 degrees the fans will adjust speed automatically until the cabin temperature reaches the desired temperature (In the example 60 degrees).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Yes, I understand what the AUTO and climate control are for and how they work.

I was confused thinking you thought you could buy the non temperature unit and transfer any buttons from it to yours. These are replaced as a unit, a single head unit in fact. They are nothing more than a module that plugs in. The buttons are attached to the head unit and from what others have said, are not replaceable. Hence having to replace the entire head unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ls973800 said:
Yes, I understand what the AUTO and climate control are for and how they work.

I was confused thinking you thought you could buy the non temperature unit and transfer any buttons from it to yours. These are replaced as a unit, a single head unit in fact. They are nothing more than a module that plugs in. The buttons are attached to the head unit and from what others have said, are not replaceable. Hence having to replace the entire head unit.
Sorry about that, now, after what you said im wondering if I could just get the a/c control unit cheaper then the face plate and the a/c controller together. I will continue to search...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crash said:
Awesome thank you! Just ordered mine.
Make sure you document the replacement with photos and post them, the replacement instructions are in the thread but I can PM you the full guide if you'd like.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top