Saturn Outlook Forum banner

21 - 40 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
quint9 said:
BBEL37.....did you go to the NHTSA web site and make a complaint? If not, please do. Thanks
Have you gotten a response from the NHTSA yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list. 2008 Saturn Outlook XE. Driver side headlamp out. Dealer replaced bulb 2 weeks ago, out again. Said something was shorting out and would probably need a new headlamp assembly $300. Have 55,000 mis on it. There is extended warranty? Will check into that. Filled out form on NHTSA site. Good luck to all. :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good luck on the warranty thing userloser. I have read posts from several others that Saturn is very reluctant to cover the headlight problem under the warranty. If you are lucky and get them to do it once, the most certainly won't do it twice. Thanks for joining the mob over at the NHTSA.

I went to the NHTSA web site and did a search for complaints and there were many on the outlook for the headlight, hopefully from many who read this topic. There were also many complaints about the steering. Lets hope that the NHTSA isn't as corrupt as so many other government agencies and they will actually do something about this problem, or more to the point, force GM to do something.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
userloser said:
Add me to the list. 2008 Saturn Outlook XE. Driver side headlamp out. Dealer replaced bulb 2 weeks ago, out again. Said something was shorting out and would probably need a new headlamp assembly $300. Have 55,000 mis on it. There is extended warranty? Will check into that. Filled out form on NHTSA site. Good luck to all. :mad:
Extended warranty only if you paid for it. At one time if you financed through GMAC they gave you the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info our 2007 outlooks headlight went out at 39,000 miles replaced it and same problem. Now I am going to install a new harness. I did report problem on recall the website

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
500skidoo said:
Thanks for the info our 2007 outlooks headlight went out at 39,000 miles replaced it and same problem. Now I am going to install a new harness. I did report problem on recall the website
How much $$ for the wire harness?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I posted in on this issue back in early December and asked the site admin to post it in the TSB/Recall section of this board.
http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=804.0

You'll find one of your low beam bulbs goes out, yet high beams work fine. Check the wiring harness and connector socket for melting/shorting before you go to replacing the bulb. You may want to impress upon the servicing dealer to replace the wiring harness on both sides of your vehicle if you put it in for this TSB. The lens/housing may not necessarily need replacing (but could depending how badly things got melted or if smoke/residue got on the inside of the lens).

Regards,
/BTV

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue with the passenger side low beam wire harness in my 2007 Acadia. H11 aftermarket bulb received @ 100 watts. Informed eBay supplier ai-powerzone that oem bulb was 55 watts. Supplier said "55w is old design. The one I sent 100w is upgrade version, they are compatible to your stock bulbs." Wire harness now melted. eBay seller ai-powerzone has since delisted the item. eBay unable to help since item purchased beyond their 45 day policy. GM Canada won't do anything because bulb was aftermarket. I don't see why it wouldn't be covered. The design should easily be able to withstand the very common failure mode of using the right type of bulb (H11) at varying wattages especially when the manual doesn't specify what wattage to use or implicitly forewarn about using only the one wattage. Can you imagine if the wiring in people's homes would melt and potentially catch on fire for every time an incorrect wattage bulb was installed in home lighting? I reported the issue reported to both NHTSA and Transport Canada.
:banghead:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Man this whole wire harness situation is really starting to suck :eek:hno:.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Acadia guy said:
I had the same issue with the passenger side low beam wire harness in my 2007 Acadia. H11 aftermarket bulb received @ 100 watts. Informed eBay supplier ai-powerzone that oem bulb was 55 watts. Supplier said "55w is old design. The one I sent 100w is upgrade version, they are compatible to your stock bulbs." Wire harness now melted. eBay seller ai-powerzone has since delisted the item. eBay unable to help since item purchased beyond their 45 day policy. GM Canada won't do anything because bulb was aftermarket. I don't see why it wouldn't be covered. The design should easily be able to withstand the very common failure mode of using the right type of bulb (H11) at varying wattages especially when the manual doesn't specify what wattage to use or implicitly forewarn about using only the one wattage. Can you imagine if the wiring in people's homes would melt and potentially catch on fire for every time an incorrect wattage bulb was installed in home lighting? I reported the issue reported to both NHTSA and Transport Canada.
:banghead:
Watts and Amperage are directly related. The higher wattage, the higher the amperage drawn. More amperage = more heat. Just like a hair dryer, more wattage = more heat.

If you practically double the output of your lightbulb, it will draw more amperage and thus create more heat. The wiring and the connector are designed for a particular load (wattage/amperage). Sticking in a higher wattage bulb could spell trouble. If the factory OE bulb is part and parcel of a problem with the wiring harness and bulb connector melting and shorting, a higher wattage rated bulb will be all but guaranteed to cause the same problem only faster or potentially with more damage.

If I were to pick off a replacement bulb from the rack at the local automotive supply store, the type or style number of the bulb should be sufficient in my opinion. I don't recall ever looking to see what wattage it was, just always grabbed the correct "type" of bulb.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I went out and looked around at mine a little just to see what I could see, which was'nt much. I guess you dont know you have an issue until the light goes out? The part in ? must be behind that round plastic cover with the wires coming out of it? It would be nice to see if it is starting to melt some. Just to be clear here the stock bulbs are causing the melting too ???

·
Registered
201 Posts
6Sixathome said:
I went out and looked around at mine a little just to see what I could see, which was'nt much. I guess you dont know you have an issue until the light goes out? The part in ? must be behind that round plastic cover with the wires coming out of it? It would be nice to see if it is starting to melt some. Just to be clear here the stock bulbs are causing the melting too ???
Correct, my factory original stock headlamp on the passenger side of my '09 XR went out (or at least it appeared to be the bulb, but as it turns out was the wiring harness).

I took it into the dealer because I was quite surprised at 18,000KM (barely over 10,000Mi) that I had a low-beam bulb out and I wasn't about to pay for a replacement bulb nor go through the effort of replacing it myself when the vehicle was less than months old at the time. The service advisor mentioned the TSB on the low beam headlamp wiring harness and had a mechanic inspect. I had to come back later on because they had to order up the parts from the US warehouse.

Can you pro-actively tell if you are about to have this problem? Not sure, you could remove the wiring harness connector from the low-beam bulb and inspect the connector and harness for signs of melting.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
BigTallV said:
Correct, my factory original stock headlamp on the passenger side of my '09 XR went out (or at least it appeared to be the bulb, but as it turns out was the wiring harness).

I took it into the dealer because I was quite surprised at 18,000KM (barely over 10,000Mi) that I had a low-beam bulb out and I wasn't about to pay for a replacement bulb nor go through the effort of replacing it myself when the vehicle was less than months old at the time. The service advisor mentioned the TSB on the low beam headlamp wiring harness and had a mechanic inspect. I had to come back later on because they had to order up the parts from the US warehouse.

Can you pro-actively tell if you are about to have this problem? Not sure, you could remove the wiring harness connector from the low-beam bulb and inspect the connector and harness for signs of melting.
BTV, did they replace the drivers side while they were at it? I hope so. Do you know if the new harness is updated?

·
Registered
201 Posts
6Sixathome said:
BTV, did they replace the drivers side while they were at it? I hope so. Do you know if the new harness is updated?
6Sixathome: Yes, I asked about them doing both sides when I first brought it in. I didn't want to have the same problem occur with the other side and have another 3 hour wait nor have to take another day off from work. The service advisor said they ordered parts for both sides and the invoice (no charge/warranty) shows they did both sides. Unfortunately I have not had opportunity to examine the connectors or the harness to see if it looks any different. So my only basis for comparison would be to that of images provided by other members. The service advisor mentioned something about the connector cavity not being filled with enough dielectric grease at the factory. The TSB subject heading specifically mentions filling it as part of the work.

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=804.0

·
Registered
40 Posts
My low bean went out on Sunday, I took it in today, and they are replacing the wiring harness on the passenger side so there must be something in the computer that says to replace it. I did not ask about the driver side but will.

the dears

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
thedears said:
My low bean went out on Sunday, I took it in today, and they are replacing the wiring harness on the passenger side so there must be something in the computer that says to replace it. I did not ask about the driver side but will.

the dears
the dears, what year is your OUTLOOK? How many miles?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
thedears said:
Mine is a 2009 XR with 21K. They did not do the drivers side so I told the tech, see him soon on that one :drunk:
Well it looks like I have something to look forward to :banghead:.

21 - 40 of 247 Posts