Saturn Outlook Forum banner

41 - 60 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just had one of mine replaced on Saturday. One interesting thing the service guy said was that after 3/36 warranty it won't be easily covered by an extended warranty(doesn't cover bulbs). If it's still under warranty they replace the whole assembly, headlight and harness.

·
Registered
44 Posts
2008 Outlook XR Drivers side headlight went out. Replaced headlight and 3 days later headlight out again. Just found ths site and filed a complant with safercar.gov. I called the dealer who was replaced by a Chevy dealer and was told it would cost me 120.00 just to have a tech look at the vehicle( I am out of warranty--43000 miles and I did not purchase extended warranty). I called Saturn customer service 800-553-6000 and they told me they never heard of any problems with the headlight harness. This vehicle is not even 2 years old and these problems are starting? Any one out there go to a regular mechanic to have this problem resolved?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess I'll add my information to this thread on the Outlook headlights. I just had the passeneger light 'burn out' this past weekend, but then it was working again the next day, then it went out for good. In reading what everyone has stated it sounds like I have the same issue with the wiring - so thanks to all for posting their expereinces.

I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet but did call them to discuss and they stated that they need to remove the whole front fascia to get at it and the cost of parts is $500 + 2 1/2 hrs labor. Sounds like they are aware of teh TSB and issue. Since I'm at 31k miles its under warranty and I'll be sure to mention the TSB and getting the driver side done at the same time.

Once I get the details I will go on to the NHTSA webpage and fill out a concern/complaint - burning wire harnesses is definitely a safety concern that needs to be addressed.

FYI - I own a 2009 Outlook XR with approx. 31k miles.

For the record, and for reference for other owners, I've had many 'electrical' related issues with my vehicle: eg. Horn activated by pressing foot on passenger carpet (wire harness shortage under carpet) -- an option that seemed almost too good to have repaired; driver power mirror elctrical failure; 12v center console plug-in failure; indicator switch failure for right turns only, and not electrical but extremely annoying was the scrapping (think fingers on chalk board) as the instrument panel OEM assembly pin scratched against the windshield. The dealer needed to remove the entire dash to take out the pin which apparently is only used as an assembly aid. It's designed to stay in but some how worked its way out and continued to 'grow' in dB level each day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
danler said:
2008 Outlook XR Drivers side headlight went out. Replaced headlight and 3 days later headlight out again. Just found ths site and filed a complant with safercar.gov. I called the dealer who was replaced by a Chevy dealer and was told it would cost me 120.00 just to have a tech look at the vehicle( I am out of warranty--43000 miles and I did not purchase extended warranty). I called Saturn customer service 800-553-6000 and they told me they never heard of any problems with the headlight harness. This vehicle is not even 2 years old and these problems are starting? Any one out there go to a regular mechanic to have this problem resolved?
I'd try calling GM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
GM sends you to the Saturn customer division. They state they never heard of a headlight wiring harness problem. I'm going to try my local mechanic and see what they tell me. GM wants $120.00 just to look at itbecause I'm out of warranty and then tell me its the harness thats burnt? I'll take my chances with my mechanic. All I can hope for is a recall somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
79 Posts
danler said:
GM sends you to the Saturn customer division. They state they never heard of a headlight wiring harness problem. I'm going to try my local mechanic and see what they tell me. GM wants $120.00 just to look at itbecause I'm out of warranty and then tell me its the harness thats burnt? I'll take my chances with my mechanic. All I can hope for is a recall somewhere down the road.
Tell'em you have an Acadia.

·
Registered
201 Posts
danler said:
If you're beyond the warranty period, then taking it in to your local mechanic may be a lower labour rate.

The person in the call center at GM/Saturn Customer Service may not be aware of the TSB for the low-beam headlight wiring harness. Though when you raise the issue and you've stated there's a problem, they should do the research and consult with their team to obtain the information.

Your local mechanic may charge a lower labour rate than a GM dealer. Provide your mechanic with the TSB and they should be able to diagnose and repair.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Local mechanic is trying to contact area Chevy dealers to get a new heavy duty wiring harness. All dealers state that part is on National Backorder. Have to wait to hear from mechanic. Harness was burnt like in previous posts pictures. Also provided mechanic with TSB-09-08-42-004 information.

·
Registered
79 Posts
danler said:
Local mechanic is trying to contact area Chevy dealers to get a new heavy duty wiring harness. All dealers state that part is on National Backorder. Have to wait to hear from mechanic. Harness was burnt like in previous posts pictures. Also provided mechanic with TSB-09-08-42-004 information.
Just last week my GM dealer ordered on Monday got it Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just picked up the vehicle. $156.00 for new harness and bulb installed. And Chevy wanted $120.00 just to look at the car. When your vehicle is out of warranty your in trouble.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
lewisr said:
Not sure, I''l try to check the receipt one of these days.
Yes, it would be nice to know if there is a beefyer harness available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, just got back from the dealership. One headlight went out about a week ago, the other on Sunday. Knowing that doing it myself was not an option, to the dealer I went. Service rep. came back shortly after taking the truck and says "$477.00 parts and labor" After I came back from the bathroom and cleaned my drawers, I got further info. He says the harness as well as both bulbs were shot. The harnesses showed signs of melting (similar to pics above) and both bulbs were blown due to the harnesses melting. Stated that there is a "campaign" currently on this problem, but no recall. Of course, parts not in stock and will have to come back in a day or two. This would not have been too much of a problem, except I now have 38,000 miles on the truck, therefore not covered by warranty. Anyone have any other options for me or am I just up the creek in an Outlook with no headlamps?
2008 Oulook XE
38k miles

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I would ask him about how many miles ago would he thought the melting would have started?, that will catch him off guard and maybe they will work with you on the cost :-\. Also print out this whole topic and show your service advisor as proof that this is an issue. Good luck :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
PGPD said:
Hi guys, just got back from the dealership. One headlight went out about a week ago, the other on Sunday. Knowing that doing it myself was not an option, to the dealer I went. Service rep. came back shortly after taking the truck and says "$477.00 parts and labor" After I came back from the bathroom and cleaned my drawers, I got further info. He says the harness as well as both bulbs were shot. The harnesses showed signs of melting (similar to pics above) and both bulbs were blown due to the harnesses melting. Stated that there is a "campaign" currently on this problem, but no recall. Of course, parts not in stock and will have to come back in a day or two. This would not have been too much of a problem, except I now have 38,000 miles on the truck, therefore not covered by warranty. Anyone have any other options for me or am I just up the creek in an Outlook with no headlamps?
2008 Oulook XE
38k miles
Find a different dealer. Any reputable dealer(that I've dealt with) would do it under warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
6Sixathome said:
Yes, it would be nice to know if there is a beefyer harness available.
I looked last night, the part number was 29531131 I believe. Ends in 1131 for sure, I think. :banghead:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good news! Contacted Saturn corporate and told them of the situation. Forwarded them all the info from this site as well as from NHTSA site. Saturn corporate contacted the dealer, then dealer contacted me. I was responsible for a $100.00 deductible and that was it. Dealer and corporate turned out to be very helpful. Huge break from $477.00. Highly recommend this course of action if you fi9nd yourself in the same jam. Thanks to the site and all who posted reference this problem.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
PGPD said:
Good news! Contacted Saturn corporate and told them of the situation. Forwarded them all the info from this site as well as from NHTSA site. Saturn corporate contacted the dealer, then dealer contacted me. I was responsible for a $100.00 deductible and that was it. Dealer and corporate turned out to be very helpful. Huge break from $477.00. Highly recommend this course of action if you fi9nd yourself in the same jam. Thanks to the site and all who posted reference this problem.
That's awsome :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey that is great news PGPD. Glad it worked out well for you.

I believe 6sixathome asked if they were the same as original part. I did not inspect the original part, so have no basis for comparison. However I was in the middle of some spring cleaning around the house and came across the invoice/work order for the replacement headlight wiring harness. The replacement parts on the invoice are as follows (in my case):

20858015 HARNESS
92095787 BULB

Front headlamp harness and bulb replacement as outlined in DOC 2284787.

Work was completed at just under 17,000KM. We're just over 22,000KM on the clock now and so far so good.

41 - 60 of 247 Posts