Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new to the forum... I cannot create my signature block yet so I will give some details here. We have a 2009 Outlook XE w/AWD.

Here is my situation. I am Army currently stationed in Germany, however I am in the states right now for school and my wife has the Outlook in Germany still. She messaged me today to let me know she was having extreme trouble turning the wheel at low rates of speed so she took it to a German shop (pretty reputable and works on my US spec cars belonging to Military in the area) They told her she needs a new rack and pinion set and estimated the labor costs at 500-600 Euros ( about 800-900 dollars) However they told her it would be a lot cheaper for us to order and ship the parts to our APO address.

So....I start looking at online parts stores and realize the parts aren't that expensive BUT they come with or without variable assisted steering. I do not know if we have this and have spent at least 2 hours trying to find out with no luck.

PLEASE help me with this issue as I feel helpless with my wife and kids half way around the Country and not being able to help. I would like to order the part ASAP so she wont have to worry about the problem, as the roads are skinny there and its hard enough to drive the beast w/PS...

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming an active member here.

P.S. Is this a DIY project I might be able to figure out with basic mechanical skills and tools?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dustinsspace said:
Hello all new to the forum... I cannot create my signature block yet so I will give some details here. We have a 2009 Outlook XE w/AWD.

Here is my situation. I am Army currently stationed in Germany, however I am in the states right now for school and my wife has the Outlook in Germany still. She messaged me today to let me know she was having extreme trouble turning the wheel at low rates of speed so she took it to a German shop (pretty reputable and works on my US spec cars belonging to Military in the area) They told her she needs a new rack and pinion set and estimated the labor costs at 500-600 Euros ( about 800-900 dollars) However they told her it would be a lot cheaper for us to order and ship the parts to our APO address.

So....I start looking at online parts stores and realize the parts aren't that expensive BUT they come with or without variable assisted steering. I do not know if we have this and have spent at least 2 hours trying to find out with no luck.

PLEASE help me with this issue as I feel helpless with my wife and kids half way around the Country and not being able to help. I would like to order the part ASAP so she wont have to worry about the problem, as the roads are skinny there and its hard enough to drive the beast w/PS...

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming an active member here.

P.S. Is this a DIY project I might be able to figure out with basic mechanical skills and tools?
What websites have looked at for the part?

Do you still have the Original Dealership Stickers that came with the car? (It may be listed in the Equipment List)

How many Miles are on your Outlook?

I really don't think it would be in your best interest for you to preform this task yourself, especially if it has something to do with something as sensitive the the steering system.

All 09 Outlooks do have Variable Assisted Steering

I just found this: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2007/saturn/outlook/steering/steering_rack.html
It's a referb but I think it should do

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

The Outlook has 63,000 miles and I scanned a lot of the major parts sites....

I have trusted your advice and went ahead and informed the wifey to schedule the maintenance at our local dealership in Germany and ordered the part w/ variable assist. Thanks for all the help and I will let you know how it works out.

On a side note does anyone know a cheap and reliable place to get the billet grill I see on a lot of the Outlooks on this site?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dustinsspace said:
Thanks for the help.

The Outlook has 63,000 miles and I scanned a lot of the major parts sites....

I have trusted your advice and went ahead and informed the wifey to schedule the maintenance at our local dealership in Germany and ordered the part w/ variable assist. Thanks for all the help and I will let you know how it works out.
Make sure when the steering rack is replaced that the German shop installs Dexron VI fluid in its place. I'm not convinced the issue is the steering rack - most of these "loss of power assist" and "hard steering" at low speeds are due to a defective flow control valve in the PS Pump. Regardless, if the mechanics have positive evidence it's the steering rack, make sure they flush all the old fluid out 1st (using Dexron VI as the flushing fluid), then install the new steering rack, and then fill and bleed the system with Dexron VI.

GM changed to Dexron VI in MY2012 and on. When the MY2007-2011's get a new steering rack, it is the most opportune time to introduce the new fluid, as the pinion seal in the steering rack will swell if you expose it to Dexron VI after it has been wetted by the "old" fluid.

If you want a GM reference for the fluid change-out procedure, it is documented in PI0029H, which if you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll be more than happy to send you a copy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I second that, my power steering pump went out Feb of this year, 63k on it as well.

XRDreamliner said:
Make sure when the steering rack is replaced that the German shop installs Dexron VI fluid in its place. I'm not convinced the issue is the steering rack - most of these "loss of power assist" and "hard steering" at low speeds are due to a defective flow control valve in the PS Pump. Regardless, if the mechanics have positive evidence it's the steering rack, make sure they flush all the old fluid out 1st (using Dexron VI as the flushing fluid), then install the new steering rack, and then fill and bleed the system with Dexron VI.

GM changed to Dexron VI in MY2012 and on. When the MY2007-2011's get a new steering rack, it is the most opportune time to introduce the new fluid, as the pinion seal in the steering rack will swell if you expose it to Dexron VI after it has been wetted by the "old" fluid.

If you want a GM reference for the fluid change-out procedure, it is documented in PI0029H, which if you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll be more than happy to send you a copy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts