Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I don't normally need to post here because I can find the answers from the ground work you all have put down. My 07 2WD (apx. 130k miles) started to idle rough a couple nights ago. My wife drives it less than a mile or 2 each way to take the kids to school so I threw some fuel injector cleaner in it hoping it was some bad gas but it has a service light now. I scanned it this evening and got a bunch of codes. I've researched most of them and it leads me to the dreaded stretched timing chain.
I had the following codes
P0016 cam/crank PS
P0017 cam/crank PS
P0018 cam/crank PS
P0442 Evap system leak (small) I recently put a new gas cap on
P0496 Evap high purge flow fault

Has anyone ever seen these codes not lead to a NG timing chain? Is there something small or simple I should try? Not sure how I'm going to afford the TC replacement much less the worst case scenario! I'm the second owner, and I don't believe the service record or CARFAX reported a timing chain?

Thoughts????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE...I contacted the local dealership to get an estimate on hours for a timing chain replacement if thats the problem. They ran my vin since it was already in their system from my transmission replacement.

He told me there was a service bulletin for my VIN on the timing chain but it expired at a very specific mileage of something like 124,768 miles or something like that, and I'm at 136k. That was a hear breaker. He also told me to estimate the repair at apx. 2k which sucks because we really like this car but its hard to justify.

·
Registered
754 Posts
yeah- that was the extended warranty on the timing chain-

10 yr or 120,000.

The other option.
and not knowing whats been serviced on your vehicle--- and assuming you have not done other major service-

fix the chain- and while it is out of the vehicle..

have them replace
spark plugs,
coils,
serpenting belt,
water pump,
upper and lower hoses
struts..
$3,500?

then drive the vehicle for a few more years...

or get a new vehicle--- $30,000-$40,000

1 - 3 of 3 Posts