Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

A newbie as they say to the forum. I bought a used 07 Outlook 2 months ago. I live in Ontario, Canada. The vehicle has 158000km,s on it and it looks and feels and drives like a car that is a few years old. The issue I have is that last week when going to pass a slower car, my Outlook transmission stuck in gear, it seemed like may 3rd or 4th gear and would not shift up or down, the CEL came on.
I managed to get to where I was going, switched the car off and went back in it after about 10 mins.
The car then went back to normal driving and after a few minutes the CEL went off.
I have read so many issues with the tranny on these cars so I went to my local GM dealer and asked them to check the history to see if any work had been done on the tranny.
My car was a local car and I was told that the timing chains had been replaced last October.
The dealer said they would check the codes and see what it was. They did this and said it was something to do with a stuck solenoid. They mentioned the exact code but I cant remember what it was. I have been driving about for 1 week now since this happened. The tranny shifts up and down smoothly, reverse is fine as well, no slipping, no crunching, the tranny oil is spotless.

So I have to ask question, Is my transmission about to let go, I have zero warranty left, the transmission to me shifts perfectly with no issues related to what happened last week. My wife would go mental :banghead:if I had to have a transmission put in the car so soon after buying it.
Do you think the wave plate fault has probably been rectified on this car due to it having nearly 100k miles on it, or maybe NOT

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie ( A Scotsman living in Canada ) ;D :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
There are two main causes of the transmission failures in the early Outlook and it's sister cars. The first and most common is the wave plate failure. You can find many posts on all of these boards about that one.

The other failure is the solenoid and or transmission control module (TCM). When these fail, the transmission has to be dropped from the car the same as when the wave plate fails. Later models have the TCM on the outside, so the transmission does not have to be dropped. Yours will have to be dropped.

When the wave plate breaks, the inside of the transmission must be completely cleaned of all debris if the same transmission is being rebuilt. Other owners who have not had the transmission cleaned properly have experience the solenoid or TCM failures after the wave plate has been replaced and the transmission has been rebuilt. This has been shortly after the repair or up to several years and thousands of miles.

If you have the solenoid or TCM replaced, I would also have the wave plate replaced at the same time. The transmission will already be out of the car and it's not that much more work to replace the wave plate at that time.

It is possible that the wave plate has already started to fail. If so, debris might already be in the system and is causing the solenoid to stick. From what I have read, I believe the solenoid or TCM repair is around $1200.00 or so. A rebuilt transmission which is what most owners put in after a wave plate failure is around $3200 or so.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We just went through the same thing a few months back. Shift solenoid was stuck, ended up at the dealership and dropping a refurbished tranny.
Good luck with the issues that you have encountered. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3 n 5 reverse plates are faulty n the rebuild n reprogramming is a must they did my 07 last fall just as a smart move thank God I bought extended warranty. It still may have to be reprogrammed again we'll c after I replace coils tmrw if it improves approaching incline. Always having to giv more acceleration to get up n go unless I basically do a hole shot from the green light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts