Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the HIDs are ordered, are the DRLs on the inner non-projector lights, versus the standard projector running lights on the non-HID models?

Look at the two models I posted. I know this is the case on the Acadia. When HIDs are ordered, the running lights are the lights on the inside because they don't want to use the Xenon's as DRLs. I don't understand why GM won't use the HIDs as DRLs. It's not like they're too bright, or they're going to run out. But then again, I never understood why GM uses turn signals as DRLs either. I always think that the car is tuning when I quickly glance. If you look at the new Traverse, it uses the turn signals in the bumper as DRLs, and, it doesn't offer fog lamps like the other Lambdas. Also, I am annoyed that my Enclave has projector fog lamps because I can't change the color due to the fact there are no bulbs. Oh well:)

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Purpose of DRL is to make the car more visible, not illuminating anything. Check out FMVSS108, you'll find out that the intensity requirement for DRL is much lower than headlights. So much so that you can satisfy DRL intensity with a turn signal bulb. Doesn't have to be the high wattage headlight bulb, like you said. Also, DRL can be either in amber or white. Headlights has to be white.

My last job was to design automotive exterior lighting. But that was nearly 10 years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts