Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a blue ox base plate yesterday, while doing some grinding I hit one of the power steering hard lines going to the cooler, so I cut out the the hard line and replaced it with a flexible rubber line. I lost about 5oz of fluid, replaced fluid but now the pump is whinning and some feedback in the steering wheel, do I need to bleed the system, or do i have some other trouble?
2008 outlook XR

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I wonder if some grindings got into the PS fluid and made their way into the pump causing some damage? I guess I would try a full PS flush and fill with a full synthetic fluid before you start replacing a PS pump. JMHO :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
You should replace the line you cut, the rubber hose may be flexing with the presssure and not allowing enough pressure to build in the pump. The normal bleeding procedure is to steer left to right repeatedly without hitting the lock at each end and checking the level after every few attempts, but I think it is gonna be the rubber hose causing the issue here, there is a reason it is a hard line and not rubber. If you run the pump without the proper amount of fluid you will destroy the pump.

·
Registered
754 Posts
probably replace the line 1st...
then try a bleed...
if that doesnt work... then the pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Explained what happen to the "old" saturn dealer, they seem to think the rubber hose is causing a restriction , causing the pump to whine. They asked if I still had power assist on the steering, which I replyed yes. They said then probly not the pump. So I ordered a new cooler for around $96.00, will be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Will keep ya'll updated.

PS- They said there was a TSB out that said to over fill the tank to just above the full mark. Something about the pump could suck air if below the full mark. So maybee ya'll should check the level in your tanks and top them off, maybee will quiet down some noise if you have any.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Is the rubber hose slipped over the metal PS line?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
scottginfla said:
So if the ID of the rubber hose is larger than the OD of the metal one, how can it restrict flow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because it does a hard 90 back toward the engine, I tried to route the hose so that there would not be any pinching, but could not avoid some. Did not think it would make a difference.We will see tomorrow when I get the new cooler.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I wonder if at any time (maybe during turning) the pressure changes-- and this pressure/demand- caused the hose to collapse on itself- restricting flow?

·
Registered
754 Posts
a pressure change somewhere- like the sudden demand- would attempt to 'suction' fluid--- but since the line is rubber- this suction would collapse the hose...
thats what my head was thinking,

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'll bet the line sucked in air and needs to be fully bled, which I'm assuming you'll do after you do the work. I think to properly bleed the system on these Lambdas it takes lots of idle, then engine off for a while then idle some more, etc untill all the air is out. Unless someone else knows different :help:

·
Registered
396 Posts
6Sixathome said:
I'll bet the line sucked in air and needs to be fully bled, which I'm assuming you'll do after you do the work. I think to properly bleed the system on these Lambdas it takes lots of idle, then engine off for a while then idle some more, etc untill all the air is out. Unless someone else knows different :help:
I think I read about this type of bleed on the Acadia forum; IIRC you have to removed the lid on the power steering reservoir and let the engine idle for 45 mins. There is also a bleed that can be done at the dealer; they hook up some machine and force the air out of the system

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad to hear it is fixed, as far as bleeding the system with the lid off the ps pump res. for 45 min, that sounds wrong, as far as I know power steering fluid is never supposed to be allowed to be in contact with air for long periods of time as it tends to pull the moisture from the air and into the fluid. This will prematurely cause the pump and metal lines to corrode from the inside out. It is called hygroscopic , large amounts of moisture in the fluid can lead to pump failure, unless the fluid in the lambda is silicone based, which tends not to absorb as much water. Let me know if anybody knows for sure if the ps fluid is silicone based?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
scottginfla said:
gotta love lucas products.
That's what I used when I changed my PS fluid :thumb:
When I had the bushings done on the steering rack they changed the fluid again, so I should be set for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts