Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I installed the factory Navigation unit in place of the factory radio with the Advanced Audio Package.
We do not have the rear DVD system.
The whole process took about 1.5 hours to do. the hardest part is getting the courage to tear apart your new car. The second hardest part is fishing the GPS wire through the dash.
If you have good skills with tools and take your time, it is a pretty easy job to do.

Please ask me any questions about the install and I will try my best to help you.

Only a few hand tools are needed:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: How to Install OEM Navigation into the Outlook (and Enclave and Acadia)

Be sure and tape the GPS wire down on the foam part also. If you only tape the blue connector, you may rip it off as you fish it through.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow that was an amazing tutorial. Too bad I dodnt get the advanced audio or I might have given it a try..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I knew for sure that it would, but I am not sure. Since the Advnaced Audio Package was required for the Navigation, there may be some connection between the two. I think I read somewhere that the vehicle speed sensor is used to help the GPS determine its location. The speed sensor is used for the speed sensitive volume in the Advanced Audio pkg. I also read that you may be able to run a VSS wire from the radio to the proper plug in location and have the capability.

Sad to say, but I am guessing many repair techs do not know this. When I had my unit activated the tech had no idea even where to insert the Nav DVD or even how to open the Nav unit to insert it. I had to go back and show him, and I am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the post on installation. I am about to order a new Outlook and I am still wondering how do you feel the factory type nav system compares to the aftermarket units (ex. Garmins, Magellan's etc.)?

My hats off to you for doing such a big project. If I was going to get factory system, I think I will just order it. Just curious on your thoughts about feature/functionality/visibility of your unit. I like the fact that all of the night illimuniation will match the rest of interior, but with other aftermarket units advertsed starting at about 300 bucks, I wanted your take on how well it works.

TX
Chuck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi chuck,

I have no real feel for the comparison to a Garmin etc. as I have never owned one. I did buy my son a Garmin Nuvi 200 for Christmas, so I may have a better feel once Santa comes.

I do own a 2004 Honda Accord with factory Nav. Since I still have limited experience with the Outlook Nav (it is my wife's daily driver) I'll say it programs ALMOST as easy as the Honda unit. I do like that the GM unit pops up with the map immediately without the nag screen from the lawyers telling me to be careful, the way the Honda unit does. However, in my Honda I can program it while moving (I know it's dangerous....) Also, I think the Honda screen is an inch bigger.

I think you'll like it if you buy it.

Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the same unit for my XE, without the advance audio package. It works perfect. The only thing wrong is that I bought a Nav unit with blue lights behind the buttons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mucky said:
I bought the same unit for my XE, without the advance audio package. It works perfect. The only thing wrong is that I bought a Nav unit with blue lights behind the buttons.
I have an XR with the base radio with 6 speakers does everything work ie onstar, turn by turn nav, xm radio and so on??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On mine all of that worked fine after the install. XM came up fine. I did not try turn by turn since I have the NAV now. But OnStar worked the same as before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gents, I have 09 Xr with base audio. I found a nav from a 09 Acadia that was taken out for an upgrade. Will the Acadia nav work? I can buy a "kit" from the dealer with a factory nav, ant, and CD for about 1150 as a backup but Id like to save a some $$. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No real idea as the original author of this thread, but I am guessing you'll need the VSS wire among other things. What's in the kit? If he can make it work for a total of $1150, that may be worth it if it includes the NAV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kevin,

The "kit" comes right from the 09 accessories catalog. It includes the Nav (you can order CD or DVD), gps nat, nav disk, cables and owners manual. The dealer will throw in the prgramming as well if I do the install. It lists for 1500 (seems nutty to pay 2300 from the factory) but he is willing to sell it me just over cost. Im leaning that way right now but Im trying to gather all the facts. I also lookd at a Kenwood DNX5120 which is very nice for the money (~700) but it needs several external GM-lan boxes to make the steering wheel controls and OnStar work. Seems a little kludgy but it is a very nice unit with a Garmin-based nav. I can get the Kenwood and all bits and peices for under a grand. Im thinking the factory is the way to go for resale and integration etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say that if you can do a factory nav from a dealer with the antenna, disk, and programming and he will make sure it works for $1150, that is a good deal. The install is not bad if you are comfortable with tools. Follow my steps, take your time, enjoy tearing your new car apart (I did!) and save a few bucks and have the comfort of knowing you have a warranty with the unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im leaning to the factory nav right now. Your instructions are fantastic and I thank you for all your effort. Im pretty sure I can do this as Im an old gear head and an EE. Looks like fun.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts