Saturn Outlook Forum banner

How to Install OEM Navigation into the Outlook - An Illustrated Guide

94K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Davidtcharlie 
#1 ·
This week I installed the factory Navigation unit in place of the factory radio with the Advanced Audio Package.
We do not have the rear DVD system.
The whole process took about 1.5 hours to do. the hardest part is getting the courage to tear apart your new car. The second hardest part is fishing the GPS wire through the dash.
If you have good skills with tools and take your time, it is a pretty easy job to do.

Please ask me any questions about the install and I will try my best to help you.

Only a few hand tools are needed:

See less See more
#9 ·
I wish I knew for sure that it would, but I am not sure. Since the Advnaced Audio Package was required for the Navigation, there may be some connection between the two. I think I read somewhere that the vehicle speed sensor is used to help the GPS determine its location. The speed sensor is used for the speed sensitive volume in the Advanced Audio pkg. I also read that you may be able to run a VSS wire from the radio to the proper plug in location and have the capability.

Sad to say, but I am guessing many repair techs do not know this. When I had my unit activated the tech had no idea even where to insert the Nav DVD or even how to open the Nav unit to insert it. I had to go back and show him, and I am not a mechanic.

#10 ·
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the post on installation. I am about to order a new Outlook and I am still wondering how do you feel the factory type nav system compares to the aftermarket units (ex. Garmins, Magellan's etc.)?

My hats off to you for doing such a big project. If I was going to get factory system, I think I will just order it. Just curious on your thoughts about feature/functionality/visibility of your unit. I like the fact that all of the night illimuniation will match the rest of interior, but with other aftermarket units advertsed starting at about 300 bucks, I wanted your take on how well it works.

TX
Chuck

#11 ·
Hi chuck,

I have no real feel for the comparison to a Garmin etc. as I have never owned one. I did buy my son a Garmin Nuvi 200 for Christmas, so I may have a better feel once Santa comes.

I do own a 2004 Honda Accord with factory Nav. Since I still have limited experience with the Outlook Nav (it is my wife's daily driver) I'll say it programs ALMOST as easy as the Honda unit. I do like that the GM unit pops up with the map immediately without the nag screen from the lawyers telling me to be careful, the way the Honda unit does. However, in my Honda I can program it while moving (I know it's dangerous....) Also, I think the Honda screen is an inch bigger.

I think you'll like it if you buy it.

Kevin

#13 ·
mucky said:
I bought the same unit for my XE, without the advance audio package. It works perfect. The only thing wrong is that I bought a Nav unit with blue lights behind the buttons.
I have an XR with the base radio with 6 speakers does everything work ie onstar, turn by turn nav, xm radio and so on??

#18 ·
Kevin,

The "kit" comes right from the 09 accessories catalog. It includes the Nav (you can order CD or DVD), gps nat, nav disk, cables and owners manual. The dealer will throw in the prgramming as well if I do the install. It lists for 1500 (seems nutty to pay 2300 from the factory) but he is willing to sell it me just over cost. Im leaning that way right now but Im trying to gather all the facts. I also lookd at a Kenwood DNX5120 which is very nice for the money (~700) but it needs several external GM-lan boxes to make the steering wheel controls and OnStar work. Seems a little kludgy but it is a very nice unit with a Garmin-based nav. I can get the Kenwood and all bits and peices for under a grand. Im thinking the factory is the way to go for resale and integration etc.

#19 ·
I would say that if you can do a factory nav from a dealer with the antenna, disk, and programming and he will make sure it works for $1150, that is a good deal. The install is not bad if you are comfortable with tools. Follow my steps, take your time, enjoy tearing your new car apart (I did!) and save a few bucks and have the comfort of knowing you have a warranty with the unit.

#22 ·
Kevin, I ordered the factory Nav upgrade kit.  It should be here late this week.  I do have one question (so far).  In your instructions when you removed the A-pillar trim you noted having to remove a fastener under the airbag cover.  My pass A-pillar does not have an airbag cover (unlike the drivers side which does). The 09 has upgraded airbags based on another post i saw. I assume that removing the grab handle fasteners is all I need do to remove the pass side A-pillar trim. Does it just pop off or are there other clips on the A-pillar trim?

#25 ·
I was able to finally get the time to install my new nav system in my wifes 09 Outlook XR. It was really quite easy thanks to Kevins great instructions. ( I will post pics in a day or two to follow-up). The kit that I purchased was from Ebay member Tauk. He ended up having the best price for the full kit with new equipment. He has many auctions for nav radios. I found him to be very helpful and delivered exactly what he promised with support. I would buy from him again without hesitation.

I received a new 09 Nav radio (with DVD/RSE outs), a GPS antenna, Nav Disk 7.3 (latest) a manual, and a VSS/Voice cable for $1125 delivered. Everything was brand new, sealed. Since the radio had never been installed there was no theft lock and it did not therefore require any dealer programming. The only issue that I had was that my car was not pre-wired with the C4 connector which contains the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). As a result I had to use the C4 connector that came in my kit and tap into the VSS signal at a junction box under the dash. It was quite easy. My C4 connector from the kit is also wired to accept a backup camera input and Tony (TAUK) told me that next month the OEM camera supplier will have a full kit for Lamda's for about $250. I may do this upgrade and the pre-wired C4 will be helpful. I also backed-up my NAV disk onto my network and made a backup disk just in case. The NAV DVD has about 8GB of data on it so its quite large and required DVD-DL disk.

The Nav works great and overall very pleased. I have owned/used Garmin and Magellan PND's and the Nav function seems quite comparable. There was no way I was going spring for 2400 from the factory so a little over 1K seems like a decent deal. I was very close to putting a Kenwood nav in but really wanted the factory integration and did not like the need to have several extra boxes to make the steering wheel controls and other functions operate. I was looking at a Kenwood DNX5120 with a couple of PAC integration boxes, dash kit and cables it was about the same cost as the radio from Tony. I will probably add one of the Ipod integration devices (I'd like the GM PAL) in the future as well as the camera. I was able to find the full pinout for all the radio connectors and I can see that the C3 connector has the DVD video outputs on it so I can run a remote monitor if I want to. I have asked Tony to get me a C3 connector so I can have that option available. I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone who wants to upgrade to a NAV radio consider this option.

#26 ·
Doug, Glad to hear it went well. I was hoping my photos and instructions would be useful to someone someday.
I agree, Tony (Tauk) is very helpful. I am waiting for the arrival of my second NAV unit from him for my new Buick Lucerne. I would recommend anyone seek him out for one of these units.

I have a question on the VSS junction connection under the dash. Where is it? Right now I am looking at tapping into a suspected VSS wire in a bundle going to the speedometer. Is there a direct plug in? Any pictures would be helpful on this detail.

Thanks!
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.