Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fixed the EVAP Purge problem from another thread and I needed to clear the check engine light. I don't own a code reader even though I know it wouldn't be a bad idea to, anyway after a quick google search I found out that the light could be reset by disconnecting the battery. So I went to Homedepot to pick up the needed T-20 screw for the battery door (I actually got an entire T-Security bit and phillips and flathead set for $9!) so I peeled back the floor mat and seat track trim. After I moved the passenger seat forwards and moved the second row back it was very easy to get to the battery. But as soon as I got the cover off I saw that the ENTIRE negative connection was highly corroded. After I cleaned the terminal with baking soda, water and a wire brush I disconnected and cleaned the "-" terminal and then completely dried the well the battery was sitting in (about 15 minutes) I then dried the cable and the terminal and re-connected. I started up the car (and I noticed that it started without any hesitation whatsoever) and the check engine light was cleared. The clock on the radio had to be reset and for some reason the A/C wasn't working until about 5 minutes after the cars first start after the reset (I heard a "Click" and cold air began flowing) I haven't had the problem since. Good luck to all, and be careful!

·
Registered
754 Posts
the light would have reset on its own.
After a certain number of drive cycles- it would run the test and then the light would go off.

Also-- in case you need an inspection... they can tell how many miles have been driven since the light reset....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios said:
the light would have reset on its own.
After a certain number of drive cycles- it would run the test and then the light would go off.

Also-- in case you need an inspection... they can tell how many miles have been driven since the light reset....
In the Texas sun I wasn't willing to wait, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I just cant live without the Remote Start Feature Especially with Leather Seats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts