Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Outlook XR AWD. Since the very first day we picked it up it seems to have a distinct humming sound between 55 and 75 miles per hour consistently. Initially I thought this was just road noise or the typical hum of large SUV type tires, but now with 3000 miles on it I think the sound is getting louder and sounds a lot like a bad bearing or something similar. It does not seem to come from a specific side and is definitely coming from the front so I assume it is inside the transmission. It does not change at all with engine speed or transmission gear, it only changes proportionally with the vehicle speed. It seems to change slightly in a harmonic way (difficult to describe) when going around turns in either direction on the highway. It starts immediately at 55mph and either fades away or becomes too difficult to hear at about 75mph. This is a very difficult sound to describe to the dealer and I am not excited about sending a tech out on the highway at 70mph over and over until they figure out what it is.

I first noticed this sound after the first 30 miles on the car and it has been consistent ever since. My biggest concern is that it has something to do with not doing a proper break-in procedure. As great as our Saturn salesman was, the one thing he didn't mention is that the AWD models should not be driven over 55mph for the first 1000 miles. I was aware of the long standard procedure of not driving at any one speed for extended periods during the first 1000 miles or so, but I had no idea about the AWD 55mph restriction until I read it in the manual the day after our purchase when I had already driven 100 miles at 70mph.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any ideas?

FYI... I am also having the dealer address the following issues next week at 3000 miles that we are experiencing as well:

1. First and foremost, the humming or bearing sound described above.
2. The rocking driver's seat problem.
3. Inoperative driver's seat heater (bottom cushion only).
4. Transmission Lag issue. (Not sure if this is same issue, but I feel like it regularly shifts up too high and feels very sluggish)

Overall we love this car. I am just very concerned about an issue like this that is hard to describe and usually hard to get a dealer to recognize.

David
Outlook XR AWD Charcoal/Black Leather

·
Registered
10 Posts
David,

I experienced the exact same sound while I was test driving my Outlook. Same speed and everything. Had the General manager take a test drive with me in two different Outllooks and he was able to detect the sound. I had the dealer swap all four tires (with the Outlook that did not make the sound) and the sound was gone. I later read on a post that indeed Goodyear had a bad batch of the Fortera tires on the Outlook. I have attached a service bulletins PDF which includes #PIT4377 Hum Or Moan Noise When Driving 66-70 MPH On A Smooth Road -
keywords bearing front rough suspension tire wheel - (May 3, 2007). Swapping out the tires should do the trick.. Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow....I thought I was the only one having this problem...I think I have it worst thought. Turning off the radio, I noticed the humming sound at 30-32, 40-45, and 60-63, respectively. Never heard the noise before except for now. I have over 1000 miles on it. I've tried as much as i possibly could to keep it at 55-60 mph. Would this be a drive shaft problem? I was thinking tires as well, but I doubt it. I drive highway 99 going north up to Yuba from Roseville, and going 55 MPH is almost dangerous, being that I'm on the road with lots of trucks. With non-compliance to this directive from the manual REALLY screw up the car? It is almost annoyingly loud. Also, being that the weather up here in Sacramento, Ca. is getting in the triple digits, I use my AC. It whines consistenly with the RPM's. Also, annoying.

Ocean Blue 2007 XR AWD, all the bells and whistles minus the DVD player and sidesteps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had since day one, an issue simular to what you folks are mentioning. I would refer to my noise as more of a light roar than hum, although it may be the same thing. I thought it was a tire noise but was not sure, I was hoping it was not a drivetrain issue. I was quiet puzzled by mine, it would occur at about 67mph and kind of roar inside the cabin until you got over 70mph. It was not major bad, but very noticable and you would not want to stay in that speed zone for very long, cause it was annoying. I took it in finally, at around 2500 miles on the odometer. The technician rode with me, he said he thought it was in the front of the vehichle coming from a tire, so he rotated the fronts to the back and it made a huge difference. but there is still some roaring/humming at a lesser degree at slower speeds now. He has ordered me 2 new tires. Not knowing which one is the problem or if its more than one. So its obviously the tires on my Outlook, but not sure that is everyone elses problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got my car back from the dealer for minor repairs. They stated that the humming noise was pin pointed from a bad bearing. Huh? with only 4000K+ highway miles? Anyway, I told them it might just need a tire rotation. The head service guy said it was the bearing. Ok.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
When bearings go bad, it makes a thumping sound. I know, bc we just went through that with my wife's car. (Ironically the dealer told us it was bad tires ::))

The humming sound sounds like tires cupping or something. I've also had that issue in the past that was resolved by a new set of tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So if the tires are at fault, what, if anything was done by the manufacturer of the tire to resolve the issue?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
rakerley said:
So if the tires are at fault, what, if anything was done by the manufacturer of the tire to resolve the issue?
First, welcome to the forum rakerley! Please update your signature so that we can see what your driving. I will help in the future if you have any questions.

From reading the previous posts, it looks like the dealer and thus GM replaced the tires under the bumper to bumper warranty. But in any case I doubt your going to get an exact answer as this thread hasn't been used in almost 3 years and two of the poster have not been on the site for more that 7 months. You could try sending them a personal message and try to get a response that way. You might take a look at the Acadia site as well and look for topics on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts