Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Members,

After all the recent talk of "going green", I've been trying to think of ways to lower my carbon footprint. While I'm not quite ready to make the jump to a hybrid car just yet, there are much easier ways to get started. My first step was an easy one - I switched all my non-dimming household lights to CFL Bulbs. I bought one or two of a few different brands and "colors" to see which ones I liked best. Some have a 1 second delay, which I found to be annoying, but others don't (N:Vision brand from Home Depot light up instantly to about 2/3 brightness, then 'warm' up to full brightness in about 20 seconds, for example).

From www.18seconds.org:
What kind of difference can one CFL make? Consider this: If every
American swapped just ONE bulb for an ENERGY STAR labeled CFL,
it would collectively save more than $8 billion in energy costs, prevent
burning 30 billion pounds of coal, and remove 2 million cars worth of
greenhouse gas emissions from our atmosphere. Just imagine the
difference we could make if we replaced all of the lights we use most!
I tried to think of how I could have a bigger impact, so this year, we're buying one CLF light bulb for everyone on our Christmas list (100w equiv, soft white color) with a note to try it out in their most used lamp and if they like it, to buy 4 more and replace their 5 most used lights in their house with CFL bulbs. I certainly don't want this to become a political debate over Global Warming. But even if you aren't in that camp and don't think that lowering your carbon footprint is necessary, surely lowering your electricity bill can't hurt! These bulbs use one third the energy and last up to 10 times longer than their incandescent counterparts, saving about $30 in energy costs over their lifetime. Think of what switching ALL your bulbs would save.

Finally, I decided to take it one step further than just my family. So here's the favor I ask - On your next shopping trip, buy 6 CFL bulbs. Use one for yourself in your most used lamp and give the other 5 away to 5 people on your holiday list as stocking stuffers. I think if people try the newest CFL bulbs, they'll realize the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Besides saving the planet, you're saving your friends and family money! :)

Want more info? Check out http://www.18seconds.org

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a great idea!

I have already converted all none dimming bulbs in our house. It was a process for sure. When they first came out, they were not too cheap. As for the bulbs that have a delay, it doesn't take long to get use to. The instant-on's are better, but the ones I have flicker once or twice, and they too need a warm-up period before reaching maximum brightness. I still have a few old style bulbs that need replacing, as they do not make CFL replacements. I will be replacing the fixtures soon.

Also, our city has been replacing the front porch lights on all homes to the CFL's FREE!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have changed every single light bulb out in my house going green and I have done it for over a year and I have not seen one change on my bill. How long does it take to notice the savings?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts