Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if it is possible to increase the towing capacity of a 2008 XR model. i have the factory tow package with a rating of 4500 pounds but i would like to be able to tow at least 5000 punds. is it posible?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well if you put in the DI engine; you'll get the increased towing capacity

·
Registered
754 Posts
well if youre past 100,000- then you dont have to worry about voiding the warranty.
You could add an additional trans cooler- and tow a little more at your own risk...
since repairs past 100K- are your problem...
But if youre going to tow short distance- it should be ok... (local)
if going far- over hills/mtns.. at least add another trans cooler.
The DI Traverse and Acadias are rated at 5000 lbs. (or was it 5200?-- I think 5000).

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 09's and later are rated at 5200 lbs; unless of course you're driving an Enclave; then you're still limited to 4500 lbs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i appreciate the respnses but are there any modifications i can do to increase the towing on the curent engine i have?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Remember this; the hitch on our tow package vehicles is rated to 5000 lbs. I haven't seen or heard of any mods that can be added to increase the towing capacity. If you come across something; let us know :thumb:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wait, the vehicle is good to 5200, but the factory mounted hitch is only good to 5000? Really?!? :sosad:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
AA/78U said:
I'm pretty sure the 09's and later are rated at 5200 lbs; unless of course you're driving an Enclave; then you're still limited to 4500 lbs
The hitch on my early '09 (build 08/25/08) is only rated for 4500 lbs, and IIRC, COCOTAN09XR's 09 (build of 09/08, I think, COCO correct me if I'm wrong :-\) is rated for 5200lbs. Same engine, the factory must of just wanted to use up some left over hitches. I have never used mine and probably never will. Something tells me it's just too hard on this engine/trans combo, others will say different.

·
Registered
396 Posts
salguod said:
Wait, the vehicle is good to 5200, but the factory mounted hitch is only good to 5000? Really?!? :sosad:
Oops; yeah the hitch is rated to 5200 lbs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. been enjoying the hot weather and wrenchin' on Vettes. Yeh Six, my '09 built September 23, 2008 does have the 5,200 lb. rating. I remember before I bought the vehicle, the salesman removed the modesty cover and we both laid down on the ground to see the 5,200 lb stamp right on the hitch. I should get a chance over the weekend to take a pic of that.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of the hitch.

The first is the stamp located on the short yoke of the hitch. The second is the label on the right ear clearly stating the maximum trailer towing weight of 5,200 lbs and hitch weight of 600 lbs.

:cheers:

Jim
In God We Trust!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'll check the stamp on mine when my wife get's home, I'll bet it's the same hitch just a different sticker.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Nope, not the same stamp #'s, I'll never tow anything anyways with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts