Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Yesterday I installed a Hidden Hitch Class lll hitch + wiring. :blob: :hyper: :blob: Total time, probably 30 mins. Very easy to install!! :banana: I was surprised! The only tough part was feeding the wiring from the tailight housing area down through the body. The wires kept getting caught on whatever was in there.
In the end I never lowered the muffler, I had enough room. :)
I did notice that the green wire going from the left tailight down thru the body and over to the right tailight hangs free behind the bumber, so I took 1" long strips of hard plastic, wrapped it around the wire once like the warning tags on an extension cord, and put a screw thru the plastic to hold it to the frame.
I hooked up my 2,365lbs (yes i know, I'm 365lbs over the limit) camper up to the car and i am very suprised at how the car handles with it!! It takes off probably as fast as it would w/o a camper, NO SWAY! :rock: and it stopped good. Overall, VERY easy install, and the outlook is a great car to tow with!

:dancing:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Have you installed a transmission cooler? If not, do so, I think transmission failures is one of the biggest sources of failure when towing.

Personally, I wouldn't tow with an Outlook without the tow package. That said, I think it's capable of more than the rated 2,000 lbs without it with the proper hitch, wiring and a transmission cooler.

Is your 2,365 lbs. empty or loaded? If it's the dry weight on the placard, you might be surprised the actual weight of your camper. Campers 'dry' weight doesn't include any optional equipment like spare tire, fridge, A/C, awnings and even an LP tank. Add all that in, plus your people and gear (which also factor in to the tow weight) and you're several hundred pounds more.

You may already know all of this, but I mention it in case you don't ;D and for anyone else who wanders in looking for towing info.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've read a few posts on these boards where people have also added the Tow Mode switch in the dashboard with no problems.

Once installed, the switch acted just like a factory install and limited the shifting of the transmission. It also allowed the signals to blink 6 times instead of the normal 3 times when the turn signal lever was operated for a lane change.

You would have to search for those posts, but I think it was a plug and play type install, meaning the wire harness was already in place for the switch.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I remember that as well, I think that was on the Acadia forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well our camper really didn't come with much, just a fridge as an extra. I was wrong, the G.V.W.R. states that it's actually 2,390, not 2,365 so its probably pushing the max weight with the OEM towing pkg.
So I could just add a tow/haul button, just like that? Probably going to do that later.... But what about just manually setting the highest gear? And the tranny cooler, I'm not sure I'll do that, because doesn't it void the warrantee? I used to have a '05 Ford Freestyle with a stupid CVT (max towing load POSSIBLE was 2,000) that I used to pull my camper from Traverse City to Ontanogan (in the upper peninsula by Wisconsin) and back. It seemed to be fine, and you have to be pretty careful with those transmissions.
So I'll take a look on the acadia forum for the tow/haul button, and possibly google a tranny cooler + install. Also, wouldn't I have to get an extra fuse box added or something? I thought I read that somewhere....

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
396 Posts
GVWR is the limit on the total weight of the camper plus whatever you put in it. That's good, it means (assuming you don't overload it) that you're only about 400 lbs over the limit.

I guess adding the cooler might void the warranty, but so does towing more than 2K lbs. ;D It's a tough call, but if it were my vehicle, I think I'd want the cooler. I think the factory package includes a cooler.

The towing button activates different transmission programming. It's intended to keep it from hunting for the right gear, so it will hold gears longer before up and downshifts. You can help by manually selecting a lower gear to keep it from trying to engage the second overdrive (5th and 6th are both overdrive) if it is constantly shifting in and out of 6th. It's not the gear that causes trouble, it's the constant shifting.

The Outlooks with the factory tow package can tow 5,200 lbs, a fairly sizable increase over the standard 2,000. You're not close to it at all at 2,390. ;D

·
Registered
754 Posts
lkreykes said:
And the tranny cooler, I'm not sure I'll do that, because doesn't it void the warrantee? \
Youve in essence already voided your warranty by exceeding the 2000 lbs (non factory package tow limit).
If you show up to the dealer with some engine/trans issue and they somehow point the finger at the towing--- then its out of pocket.
It would probably be an overheated trans.....

But you could try to add and aftermarket trans cooling kit...
Or buy the HD radiator and have it installed...
A few people have had trans coolers installed... but most say its a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So all in all I should just get a transmission cooler even if it voids the warranty? but pretty much the warranty is already void, according to rbarrios so i guess it doesnt matter if i get it

·
Registered
754 Posts
think of it this way.
Say something goes wrong with the trans.
The dealer may see the hitch- and wonder... hmmm did they tow too much?

I wonder if they have a set of directions to follow..that go something like this- I mean GM doesnt want to give away free trans repairs... and Ive always wondered if they have such a procedure as this one that Ive made up below... (and GM techs here- do you have such a list?)

Car in for repair- yes
Car in for trans repair- yes
Car still under 100K warranty yes-
Check the following.
Is car equipped with factory V92- package?
Yes- proceed with repair.
No- check for aftermarket tow hitch- and or signs of 'abuse'

Is Aftermarket hitch installed- or signs of recently removed hitch?
Yes- deny warranty
No- proceed with diagnosis x.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm hoping it's not as simple as no V92 + hitch = denial, but, I'm guessing transmission issues + no V92 + hitch = questions about towing. At that point, it's your word against theirs. I suppose if you're the sort of person who would lie to get out of trouble, you might get away with it.

I wonder if there is any recording in the computer for things like trailer wiring connected, etc. I know when my trailer is connected, the rear parking sensors automatically turn off. I doubt it's because they 'see' the trailer, after all if they shut off when they saw something back there they wouldn't be much use. Rather, I think it senses something connected to the hitch wiring, assumes a trailer and turns off the park assist.

Of course, the presence of a hitch or having something connected doesn't mean you towed over 2,000 lbs. It could mean you have a load platform with lights on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I wouldn't be the one to lie, so if it means voiding the warranty then I think I'll go ahead and get an aftermarket transmission cooler. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
396 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that you were the sort of person who would lie, I'm sorry if that's the impression I gave.

BTW - I stumbled on the thread at the Acadia forum, or at least one of them, that talks about adding the tow package equipment. Check here. Looks like you may have luck adding things like the HD radiator and tow button to give yourself some peace of mind. I'd bet that, if there is a warranty claim and there's any chance of GM feeling generous, you'd have better luck with GM parts installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
does anyone know if it is possible to increase the towing capacity of a 2008 XR model. i have the factory tow package with a rating of 4500 pounds but i would like to be able to tow at least 5000 punds. is it posible?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not sure what changed when they went from the 4500 lb rating to the 5200 lb rating.

Also, keep in mind, the tow rating isn't simply this is the heaviest trailer you can tow. That rating assumes a driver and no cargo. You subtract the weight of the passengers and cargo from the rating and that's the max the loaded trailer can weigh. You also cannot exceed the CGVWR, which is the max weight of your Outlook + passengers + cargo + trailer. Don't know what that number is off the top of my head.

Lastly, in general, it's not advised to play at the limits. :eek:hno: Some say stay under by 10%, but I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I doubt there is anything that can be done that GM would recognize to increase the capacity. As I said, I'm not sure if there are component differences between the 4500 lb rated Outlooks and the ones with a 5200 rating. If there are, then adding them would help, but GM isn't going to recognize it. It's still going to be officially 4500.

Looking past the rating, are there things that would make it tow more? It's hard to say as we don't know what system is 'the weak link', if you will. Is the trans not up to the task or is a limit in the brakes or cooling or chassis ??? I would think there's adequate power to tow more, but that's not all you need. I'd be worried about the trans and the brakes. For the trans, an add on cooler may help, for the brakes there may be different pads that would give better performance. If it's the structure of the unit body or the hitch mount, then you're out of luck. But all of that is speculation.

Frankly, if you need to tow more, you probably should be looking to a Tahoe or Suburban instead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
salguod said:
I didn't mean to imply that you were the sort of person who would lie, I'm sorry if that's the impression I gave.
Nope, I knew what you meant! :)

salguod said:
BTW - I stumbled on the thread at the Acadia forum, or at least one of them, that talks about adding the tow package equipment. Check here. Looks like you may have luck adding things like the HD radiator and tow button to give yourself some peace of mind. I'd bet that, if there is a warranty claim and there's any chance of GM feeling generous, you'd have better luck with GM parts installed.
The parts and steps sound a little too advanced for me to do, so that might be the dealer's job or someone else that could do it...
But overall, if I'm pulling a camper thats a few hundred pounds over 2,000lbs, +4 people&gear, should the car be fine? Like I earlier said, we pulled it with our freestyle which had 100,000 miles on it to the Porcupine mtns, and the max load on that car was also 2,000, and it did fine. But that's a ford, not a GM car...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do I think you'll likely be fine? Yeah, but there are no guarantees. GM put that 2000 number on there for a reason.

I bet a lot of folks don't do the math. They look at their trailer, see less than 2000 lbs and look at their vehicle, see 2000 lb max and thing they're good. They don't think about passengers or cargo or anything else. I bet GM know that and the number is lower than it needs to be as a result. That's just my assumption, though, and I'm not an auto engineer. ;D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Neither am I, so I'm probably just going to get the cooler.

·
Registered
754 Posts
lkreykes said:
Nope, I knew what you meant! :)

I'm pulling a camper thats a few hundred pounds over 2,000lbs, +4 people&gear,
lets say your 4 people are thin Americans- runners. 4 adults- at 150 lbs each= thats 600 lbs.
Gear- say 100 lbs.
thats already 700 lbs... You say the towed item is few hundred lbs over 2000- say 300.
Youre now in the extra 1000 lbs.
I think this number makes a huge diff.

considering most Americans arent runners or thin--- an adult can weigh 180-250 lbs. so add up all those 'stray' numbers.
Definitely get the trans cooler.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts