Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well was looking into getting a cable for my wifes ipod. Is it better to go with a simple 3.5mm headphone plug to another 3.5mm headphone or it looks like they also sell an ipod plug to 3.5headphone.

I have seen that the ipod-3.5mm you can use the radio in car to switch songs? Anyone have any experience with this and the stock Outlook?

Also i have heard the ipod-3.5mm has better sound quality?

:beer:

·
Registered
63 Posts
To control your ipod from the radio you need one of the ipod integration solutions available for our cars like IPOD LOCKPICK or SCOCHE AXIPGMLAN. They are in gerenal pretty expensive ($150+ on average), some work good, some not so good (none seems perfect), but in general all provide you with the capability to switch songs from your radio/steering wheel controls instead of your iPod, as well as good sound quality (similar to what you get from the 3.5 plug cable)

GM itself was supposed to release an accessory called "PAL" that allows ipod integration with the factory stereo in the car, however it is (still) not available for Saturn Outlook (or any of the lambdas). GM PAL seems to integrate similar way as forementioned solutons, but from the demo video (in a Chevy HHR) it seemed pretty impressive. No word on when (if) it will be available for Outlook.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, looks like changing the song is out of the question then.

So anyone know if the sound quality is any different if you just use the headphone jack versus the Ipod Dock connection. A plain headphone audio cable (male to male) is quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dai_Shan said:
So, looks like changing the song is out of the question then.

So anyone know if the sound quality is any different if you just use the headphone jack versus the Ipod Dock connection. A plain headphone audio cable (male to male) is quite a bit cheaper.
Sound quality is the same with both. With doc you just get remote control over the ipod from the headunit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually, the sound is a bit "purer" if you have a cable that hooks into the digital signal from the iPod docking port. It's debatable whether or not there is a noticeable difference in sound, however many have stated that the digital signal is better. Some may notice it, some may not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ipod dock connector sound output is analog just like at the headphone jack. Plus in sound world "analog" is better than "digital", but that's different discussion.
:cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what i have been reading about the two, the difference in Headphones vs Ipod Connector is that the Ipod connector has a fixed volume. So it has went through one less step of processing, but the volume processing shouldn't introduce that much more noise or clipping...especially considering the quality of the final device...haha (The fine stock base OEM stereo and speakers).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts