Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2008 Outook XR AWD

At low speeds steering is effortless and buttery smooth. At higher speeds (45 mhp +) The steering will stiffen up just like its supposed to, but its only stiff when turning the wheel about 10-15 degrees to the left or the right . Once you get to the end of the "stiff zone" it will get just a little bit harder to turn and then full power steering (low effort) seems to kick in. My wife describes it as sort of a "catch" in the steering. Its supper annoying when driving at freeway speeds small corrections are fine, but if there is wind or during lane changes its hard to steer smoothly as steering is stiff and and then will abruptly change to low effort when turning the steering wheel more than 10-15 degrees.

I have had this issue ever since I bought the car about 8 months ago. This issue along with bad rack bushings that were clunking caused me to replace the rack about 3 months ago. New rack was a factory rack and included the variable effort solenoid. Same issue occurs with the new rack. I am now wondering if this is just how GM variable effort steering is or if I possibly have something else going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XRDreamliner said:
I suspect your PS pump is on its way out.
I don't think this is pump related .power steering feels great at speeds under 45 and at all RPM's this seems to only be speed of vehicle related which is what Leeds me to something specifically wrong with the variable efforts portion of the steering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My psp was replaced on my 07 outty n it still does hav a little stiffness to it but i got under n lines where leaking a little then stopped. Steering wheel still makes noise n hard clunking noise when u hit full radius of wheels turn.

·
Registered
131 Posts
tneumann said:
My psp was replaced on my 07 outty n it still does hav a little stiffness to it but i got under n lines where leaking a little then stopped. Steering wheel still makes noise n hard clunking noise when u hit full radius of wheels turn.
The clunking noise you described is typically worn steering rack mount bushings, which are available as a separate part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hav wynns extended warranty just gonna try n hav dealer do it hope replace whole rack I told them its bad but like usually they fix the first problem that started send u on way to come bac n pay all fees to fix the 2nd caused from first one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well just an update in case anybody was wondering it was bad u joints in the steering column. for what ever reason it only caused the clicking when turning at higher speeds. luckily low mileage used columns are dirt cheep and replacement takes less than an hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts