Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About every 2 weeks in the morning when my wife is taking the kids to school she starts the car and when she shifts the car into Reverse she says that she can "almost immediately feel extreme hesitation starting down the driveway" The main drive of out neighborhood has a speed limit of 25 so when you get out there you have to speed up quickly. When she tries to do so she says "It just doesn't shift at all, It just drones on getting louder and louder as you try to speed up" "It feels like the car has no power, no pep, and certainly not the get up and go feeling I normally get" she has been able to get the car to the school zone (about 1-2 miles from home) before she has to pull over restart the car. After that restart it drives just fine and you wouldn't have even known what happened. Some people I've talked to think its computer related but knowing the history of the Outlook and Acadia transmissions I think otherwise. I have also noticed that when I'm merging onto the highway and I have to speed up to get up to speed the engine revs A LOT and REALLY loud. I'm talking 6,000-7,000 RPMs (I once got into the low 8,000 before the DIC said "Engine power reduced") the car actually begins to vibrate before it lurches forewords and then backwards rapidly accelerating. I can only describe it as the engine revving up really high and then free wheeling (it feels almost like the engine has disconnected its self from the car). This has only happened about 3 or 4 times but one time the Check Engine Light flashed along with a chime that Said "Service... " I didn't get a chance to see what else it said because it appeared and disappeared so quickly. The car also seems much less hesitant to downshift than before and sometimes downshifts and then shifts back up and back down again. Odometer is at 104,990. :help:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Issues shifting at low and high speeds. Failing Transmission?

Hi,

Suggest you do some quick searches on the forum to familiarize yourself with the shortcomings of the transmissions in these vehicles, then get your outlook into a dealer you trust to diagnose - lots of info here and on other forums. There is a small chance you may be able to get some goodwill coverage if the issue is related to a known defect in the transmissions and you are persistent. The hesitation in reverse is a common symptom. No matter what happens, you'll want to get the issue resolved quickly, as the damage can grow if broken parts are floating around in your transmission. I was lucky (now that I look back on it) and mine failed in warranty - they ended up replacing several thousand dollars worth of parts.

Also at 100,000 miles you are due for your first transmission fluid change anyway so get that done too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Issues shifting at low and high speeds. Failing Transmission?

Crash said:
Hi,

Suggest you do some quick searches on the forum to familiarize yourself with the shortcomings of the transmissions in these vehicles, then get your outlook into a dealer you trust to diagnose - lots of info here and on other forums. There is a small chance you may be able to get some goodwill coverage if the issue is related to a known defect in the transmissions and you are persistent. The hesitation in reverse is a common symptom. No matter what happens, you'll want to get the issue resolved quickly, as the damage can grow if broken parts are floating around in your transmission. I was lucky (now that I look back on it) and mine failed in warranty - they ended up replacing several thousand dollars worth of parts.

Also at 100,000 miles you are due for your first transmission fluid change anyway so get that done too.
Thanks, we had most of the 100,000 mi work done at 75,000 Transmission Flush Included (Although not 100% sure its the same thing). forget what wasn't done, I know the spark plugs and smaller assorted items weren't replaced/tended to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can any body suggest what I need to do? I don't want to drop $700 on something that might be this or that. Any troubleshooting? It only occurs once every two weeks or so, it's going to happen again sometime this week. I have no other car and I can't have this one stop working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IS there a standard procedure to approach a GM dealer with to get the transmission problems on a 2008 Outlook XR fixed? my Outlook has 98000 miles, but I've talked to a Chevy dealer and a Buick dealer but neither one acts like they know what i am talking about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bk said:
IS there a standard procedure to approach a GM dealer with to get the transmission problems on a 2008 Outlook XR fixed? my Outlook has 98000 miles, but I've talked to a Chevy dealer and a Buick dealer but neither one acts like they know what i am talking about.
You can contact Saturn Customer Care at 1(800)-533-6000 please post your results.

·
Registered
155 Posts
bk said:
Going to ask a question first - Have you described the issue you are experiencing to a GM dealer service advisor and had one of their tech's diagnose what is wrong the vehicle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crash said:
Going to ask a question first - Have you described the issue you are experiencing to a GM dealer service advisor and had one of their tech's diagnose what is wrong the vehicle?
No, I rather not go to the dealership, Ive never had a positive experience there. Even with simple recall work I have always been met with hostility as well as remarks like "Oh is that YOUR Outlook? See you in a week for the transmission!" I cannot stand the disgusting attitudes I get before they find out that I know more about my car than they do. There is no way im going to ever spend a dime at that dealership. The only other Saturn Certified Service Center is 40 miles away (About an Hour and a Half with traffic) thats just too far from home. There is a chain auto shop in town (Christian Brothers Automotive) that has ONE certified Saturn technician but their hourly rates are just as bad as the dealers and I don't know if he would be willing to take the car on or not, To be honest I don't know where to seek service.

·
Registered
155 Posts
saturnxr said:
No, I rather not go to the dealership, Ive never had a positive experience there. Even with simple recall work I have always been met with hostility as well as remarks like "Oh is that YOUR Outlook? See you in a week for the transmission!" I cannot stand the disgusting attitudes I get before they find out that I know more about my car than they do. There is no way im going to ever spend a dime at that dealership. The only other Saturn Certified Service Center is 40 miles away (About an Hour and a Half with traffic) thats just too far from home. There is a chain auto shop in town (Christian Brothers Automotive) that has ONE certified Saturn technician but their hourly rates are just as bad as the dealers and I don't know if he would be willing to take the car on or not, To be honest I don't know where to seek service.
I can see your frustration - its no wonder GM is dying with some of the poor dealer service experiences I see on this board. Hostility and lack of knowledge from people who are supposed to be "experts".

So as I see it you have two ways to go: If you want any chance of goodwill compensation on the transmission from GM, your going to have to hold your nose and go to a GM dealer for a diagnosis. They may ask for money up front to cover the inspection since the vehicle is out of warranty, and there is no guarantee GM will provide any compensation.

If you want to just get it fixed at a a fair price and want to rid yourself of a warranty battle with GM, I would ask around with friends and family in the area to find out who in the area is reputable for working on transmissions issues. If they deal exlusively in transmissions, its guaranteed they've repaired or replaced many of the lambda platform transmissions before. The fix isn't anything super rare - its just expensive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crash said:
I can see your frustration - its no wonder GM is dying with some of the poor dealer service experiences I see on this board. Hostility and lack of knowledge from people who are supposed to be "experts".

So as I see it you have two ways to go: If you want any chance of goodwill compensation on the transmission from GM, your going to have to hold your nose and go to a GM dealer for a diagnosis. They may ask for money up front to cover the inspection since the vehicle is out of warranty, and there is no guarantee GM will provide any compensation.

If you want to just get it fixed at a a fair price and want to rid yourself of a warranty battle with GM, I would ask around with friends and family in the area to find out who in the area is reputable for working on transmissions issues. If they deal exlusively in transmissions, its guaranteed they've repaired or replaced many of the lambda platform transmissions before. The fix isn't anything super rare - its just expensive.
It did It again this morning while taking kids to school, in addition to the regular not shifting it was also making a strange sound. One of the kids suddenly stopped their chattering and said "Whats that sound?!". I had the Check Engine light read at it gave P0700 (TCM Malfunction) and P0752 (shift solenoid A Stuck in "On" position), Will the dealership reprogram the TCM for free? (Because it was reprogrammed in an earlier recall at no charge) or has the 3-5-R wave already started to shred causing the solenoid and speed sensor to get clogged up? Odometer: 105,207 MI

Oh, also a day before the Trans acted up again I got a SERVICE AIRBAG SYSTEM warning on the DIC but the light was not illuminated, the message cleared after a few seconds and has not appeared since.

·
Registered
37 Posts
saturnxr said:
It did It again this morning while taking kids to school, in addition to the regular not shifting it was also making a strange sound. One of the kids suddenly stopped their chattering and said "Whats that sound?!". I had the Check Engine light read at it gave P0700 (TCM Malfunction) and P0752 (shift solenoid A Stuck in "On" position), Will the dealership reprogram the TCM for free? (Because it was reprogrammed in an earlier recall at no charge) or has the 3-5-R wave already started to shred causing the solenoid and speed sensor to get clogged up? Odometer: 105,207 MI

Oh, also a day before the Trans acted up again I got a SERVICE AIRBAG SYSTEM warning on the DIC but the light was not illuminated, the message cleared after a few seconds and has not appeared since.
Sounds EXACTLY like our issues with a 2007 Outlook with 114,000 miles. Wife tried to accerlate and it wont go..just revs the RPMs..then turn it off and on. works great. Ours had the codes P0877 and P0989 TCM control and Value solnoid or something. I hate our dealer to, said $2100 to start, and up from there depending on what they find. Im taking it to a transmission shop first.

Brian

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SurfnWolf said:
Sounds EXACTLY like our issues with a 2007 Outlook with 114,000 miles. Wife tried to accerlate and it wont go..just revs the RPMs..then turn it off and on. works great. Ours had the codes P0877 and P0989 TCM control and Value solnoid or something. I hate our dealer to, said $2100 to start, and up from there depending on what they find. Im taking it to a transmission shop first.

Brian
Lucky for me, I bought an after market warranty (a month before this all started) after reading that this car has so many issues, I now just need to find a day I can get it in...

·
Registered
1 Posts
SurfnWolf said:

Brian
Were you able to solve this problem? I am having the same issue. Any feedback will be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Outlookhian said:
Were you able to solve this problem? I am having the same issue. Any feedback will be very helpful. Thanks.
Yes, GM has issued a recall for the Outlooks Hydra-Matic 6T70/6T75 transmission. You can schedule a Service appointment with your dealership and the transmission will undoubtedly be replaced or at least serviced and have the updated wave plate installed (GM has found "Complete replacement to be cost effective" so I'd bet on getting a brand new trans.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts