Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it appears that the all dreaded tomato worm has invaded my tomato plants, found 12 today and I'm sure there is more. If I find them their odds are not good at survival >:D. I'll post some garden pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more pic, I also have green pepper but the pic will not show up. All together I have 36 tomato plants, 48 pepper plants (jalapeno, cayenne, red chili, green pepper) and 10 cucumber plants.

rbarrios, any thoughts on drying my red chilis and cayenne peppers for crushed red pepper?

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
I ran into 2 of those big worms 2 yrs ago.
the only reason I found them was that they were eating my CHILES! which not too many bugs touch.
I picked them off and left them in the front yard.

I have some thai peppers- which I started seeing turning yellow and falling off--- I found 1 hole in each one.
I broke them open- and found a pupae for some type of beetle.
I eventually found a Weevil in one. darn weevil... you know the ones with the long piercing thing on their snout.
Im losing quite bit of them to these little weevils-- too late to do anything as theyve already laid their eggs.

As for drying- we dry them by leaving them on some cardboard in the sun. once dry- we pack them for use during the year. I just dont like all the dust that falls on them. (though my dad goes out and hand picks chiles and has every meal with several chiles by biting straight into them)

SO in the last week Ive been looking at those machines that dry fruits and veggies- dehydrator. I was interested in a model that walmart supposedly carries- according to the web site-- but could not find it...
I may just order it online.
this one is $43. says available in store.. but not found when I searched.

But I really want to try this-- just to avoid all the dust issues.
I also have my oregano plant that is growing fast-

·
Registered
754 Posts
wow--- look at all that corn!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
some of my chile plants-- not sure what went wrong...
couple of weeks ago we had very hot- humid days.. I may have overwatered...
as alot of the chile plants dropped their chiles..

My Cayenne peppers-- which It appears is what you have in one of the pics- also dropped alot of chiles... they turned yellow and are falling off..
Ive cut back watering them . THe habanero plants also dropped alot of their chiles... though they have recently sprouted more flowers....

my tomatillos-- im harvesting those every couple of days- and in about 1 month i hope to replant new ones to try to get a 2nd harvest by Nov/dec....
(in the process of planting seeds while the current plants beging their decline-- by turning yellow and whitering.)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rbarrios said:
I ran into 2 of those big worms 2 yrs ago.
the only reason I found them was that they were eating my CHILES! which not too many bugs touch.
I picked them off and left them in the front yard.

I have some thai peppers- which I started seeing turning yellow and falling off--- I found 1 hole in each one.
I broke them open- and found a pupae for some type of beetle.
I eventually found a Weevil in one. darn weevil... you know the ones with the long piercing thing on their snout.
Im losing quite bit of them to these little weevils-- too late to do anything as theyve already laid their eggs.

As for drying- we dry them by leaving them on some cardboard in the sun. once dry- we pack them for use during the year. I just dont like all the dust that falls on them. (though my dad goes out and hand picks chiles and has every meal with several chiles by biting straight into them)

SO in the last week Ive been looking at those machines that dry fruits and veggies- dehydrator. I was interested in a model that walmart supposedly carries- according to the web site-- but could not find it...
I may just order it online.
this one is $43. says available in store.. but not found when I searched.

But I really want to try this-- just to avoid all the dust issues.
I also have my oregano plant that is growing fast-

My mom still has a food dehydrator from the 90's and it works great, she uses it to make beef jerky. You will want one and you can use it for just about anything that you want dried. I think I'll try the cardboard trick for drying the peppers, I had chilis the other night on tacos :cheers:, no one else would touch them >:D . I'll have to check my other plants for the worms. I read that putting a bird bath in your garden will help take care of the tomato worm issue (birds can't get enough of the worms and they can see them better) or spraying the plants with BT OR sprinkling 7 Dust on the ground around the plants (I don't think I'll do that).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rbarrios said:
wow--- look at all that corn!!!
We have 50+/- acres of land that we lease to a farmer, one year it's corn and the next it's soy beans, this year it just happens to corn. That corn was put it at Memorial Day and is on it's wasy to being over 8' tall.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I have wanted to have a small veggie garden but we just do not have a large enough area with full sun. I like your garden and yummmm love peppers. Although my husband really loves the hot one, the hotter the better.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sailfish-by the way- have not documented my dad/mom making hot sauce/salsa.
theyve made it by the time I get home- so have not caught them in the act of making it...

·
Registered
754 Posts
some of the 1st tomatillos I harvested.

cactus and chiles

most of these Habaneros fell off... too much water?

lots of thai chiles... before the weevils

I started finding holes.... and then I found a PUPAE inside- caused it to rot from the inside-

some cayenne chiles... quite a few of these fell off too.. overwatering?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no idea why those peppers would turn dark and fall off :confused: I dont imagine too much water would do that but I not for sure, we had 4 1/2 " of rain last week and my plants went to town with the growing. What do you make tomatillos?, salsa verde?

·
Registered
754 Posts
the dark chiles next to the cactus- those are actually good.
Thats when my dad likes to eat them raw. they turn this color- and then red.
I believe those in the pic- that are greenish black are when he prefers those- Im guessing taste/heat are at the point he likes them.
Ive also seen the thai peppers turn dark- then red.
the ones that fell off- either turned yellow brown--- Or were green/yellow and the stem that holds them to the plant- dried up- then they fell.

I went online and looked up--- yeah- it seems that overwatering can cause the chile pods to fall off.
It says some of these plants actually do well when you let them dry up-- almost to the point of the leaves wilting. then you water.
Interesting.

The tomatillos.
yes salsa, hot salsa, potatoes in tomatillo stew, beef in tomatillo stew, beef tongue in tomatillo stew, Ive made home made pizza with tomatillo slices- actually very good (pizza dough, olive oil, tomatillo slices, cheese-quite good).

But dad does make some spicy salsa- where he puts the tomatillos on the hot griddle- lets them get some blackening on the outside- and then blends them with chiles, onions, cilantro, salt,
For thicker salsa- we use a Molcajete.. (that lava rock mortar) leaves it chunkier.

HA! just did a search online and found a perfect example. note the green from the chiles and tomatillos- also note the specks of black-- thats the blackened tomatillos

theres also another version where he boils the tomatillos with the chiles...
I had told Sailfish I would document and photograph my dad making some of his salsas--- but have not caught him in the act,

·
Registered
754 Posts
did anyone else get hungry?
I know I did...

took mom out for her bday.
she chose- turkey stuffed ravioli with a spicy tomatillo sauce- this was an interesting dish. she liked it.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
rbarrios sure did! Don't worry about photos for the salsa I know that when you do catch him in the act there will be some posted. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I'm real hungry now :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well as fast as the worms come now they are gone, have'nt seen a one but something is eating my low to the ground half ripened tomato fruit :angryfire:, they are eating only the bottom, I wonder if it's mice?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
6Sixathome said:
Well as fast as the worms come now they are gone, have'nt seen a one but something is eating my low to the ground half ripened tomato fruit :angryfire:, they are eating only the bottom, I wonder if it's mice?
Could be or how about chipmunks?

·
Registered
754 Posts
big mice maybe... if theyre little mice theyll climb the vine.

Ive seen large mice- in my sweet lime and Guava trees chomping away on the fruit.
Ive seen them take the fruit in their mouth and run away- on the telephone line- up to the power pole and laugh at me.

Ive resorted to hanging traps in the telephone/Cable wire where it meets the trees- apply peanut butter...
Sure enough-- at night- SNAP!
Go out and Ive caught one. Head to tail about 11 inches long. you know the tails are pretty long.

On a side note-- My habanero chili plant- some are turning orange now....
Dad removed 3- he ate his dinner (chicken with rice and curry- non spicy)... and ate the meal- along with chomping down on the raw habanero....
this one made his nose run- and eyes tear up--- quite a punch!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rbarrios said:
big mice maybe... if theyre little mice theyll climb the vine.

Ive seen large mice- in my sweet lime and Guava trees chomping away on the fruit.
Ive seen them take the fruit in their mouth and run away- on the telephone line- up to the power pole and laugh at me.

Ive resorted to hanging traps in the telephone/Cable wire where it meets the trees- apply peanut butter...
Sure enough-- at night- SNAP!
Go out and Ive caught one. Head to tail about 11 inches long. you know the tails are pretty long.

On a side note-- My habanero chili plant- some are turning orange now....
Dad removed 3- he ate his dinner (chicken with rice and curry- non spicy)... and ate the meal- along with chomping down on the raw habanero....
this one made his nose run- and eyes tear up--- quite a punch!
If that sucker was 11" long I think you cought a RAT! I wonder if I should set mouse traps in my garden?, peanut butter works good. I would of liked to watch your dad eat that pepper :'( ;D. The habanero, now that's a man's pepper :beer:.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts