Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently took notice of the Outlook after seeing it in all places; a mall!!!! I guess I never paid that much attention to domestics because of blandness and quality issues, but I must admit that the Outlook has taken me by surprise and I'm thinking of trading my Xterra for one, which is a BIG deal because I really wanted the Xterra when that came out. I going to test drive one this Saturday and I'm afraid that may seal the deal on the Outlook. I do think I should wait until sometime in '08 to get one so they can knock the kinks out of it. Has anyone had any problems with the '07's?

·
Registered
59 Posts
drakutis said:
I just recently took notice of the Outlook after seeing it in all places; a mall!!!! I guess I never paid that much attention to domestics because of blandness and quality issues, but I must admit that the Outlook has taken me by surprise and I'm thinking of trading my Xterra for one, which is a BIG deal because I really wanted the Xterra when that came out. I going to test drive one this Saturday and I'm afraid that may seal the deal on the Outlook. I do think I should wait until sometime in '08 to get one so they can knock the kinks out of it. Has anyone had any problems with the '07's?
At this point, you'd be lucky to even find a new '07, as the '08s have been selling since June and they sell so quickly, that's all most dealers have.

That said, '07s didn't have much of any issues, just some of the usual reprograms and such, most of which were sorted out by later in the build year and now firmly so for '08.

And yes, as soon as you drive one, you'll love it. There's a reason why very few GMC dealers can keep the Acadia in stock (sister vehicle), Buick dealers can ever barely see an Enclave come in (another sister vehicle, and the most different), and Saturn dealers as well have them coming and going at a continual pace. :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of!!! ;D Anytime I'm ALREADY calculating finances for a vehicle I haven't driven yet, OH BOY!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
drakutis, you will love it. We have an Enclave on order (wife's car) but I originally had her talked into the Outlook. I still like the Outlook alot. One thing to keep in mind, all Outlooks built after August 1st have the latest and greatest transmission calibration and programming that really rounds out the package and addresses the only real "design" complaint of the '07s and early '08s (sluggish transmission downshifting). Never fear though, if you get sold on one on the lot that was built before August 1st, the dealer service dept can do an update of the transmission software to the new algorithms in about an hour. Also, if you get an AWD, the '08s have a new, more advanced intelligent AWD system similar to Acura's sh-AWD on the MDX. It cannot be updgraded after the fact, but all '08s have it. Good luck in your quest, and welcome to GM!

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
drakutis - welcome to SaturnOutlookForum.net! We're glad you found us and found the Outlook. These new GM Crossovers are raising the bar on the entire industry. These are, quite possibly, the best vehicles GM has ever built! They do so many things right that they have very little competition. Go test drive one - you're going to be AMAZED you're in a nearly 5000 lb vehicle!

·
Registered
59 Posts
admin said:
These are, quite possibly, the best vehicles GM has ever built! They do so many things right that they have very little competition. Go test drive one - you're going to be AMAZED you're in a nearly 5000 lb vehicle!
Great point to bring up for a potential new owner, especially building on the fact that I had read Bob Lutz (higher head at GM) had said the Lambdas were the BEST vehicle package GM had ever done. It clearly shows, in so many ways.

Back to the topic starter, the real key thing is just driving one. I came from only being familiar with the full-size truck-based GM SUV's for years, and was intrigued by the new Acadia/Outlook when they came out. Looked at and drove one of the first Acadias to hit a lot locally, back to back with a new Yukon that was $20k more, and it's still the Acadia I remember most--I have never been that impressed by a total vehicle package, and I'm quite picky.

So, hopefully, you can drive one, afford one, and find or order one :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to test drive it Saturday and I'm taking a friend with me who will make sure I don't bite just yet. I haven't owned a GM vehicle since my 1984 caprice classic!!!!! that's how unimpressed I was with them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
drakutis said:
I'm going to test drive it Saturday and I'm taking a friend with me who will make sure I don't bite just yet. I haven't owned a GM vehicle since my 1984 caprice classic!!!!! that's how unimpressed I was with them.
Well, hope it has gone well. And be sure, the "old" GM is NOTHING like the new GM, of the past few years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ccaats said:
all Outlooks built after August 1st have the latest and greatest transmission calibration and programming that really rounds out the package and addresses the only real "design" complaint of the '07s and early '08s (sluggish transmission downshifting). Never fear though, if you get sold on one on the lot that was built before August 1st, the dealer service dept can do an update of the transmission software to the new algorithms in about an hour.
I purchased my 08 outlook XR FWD on Sept. 7th 2007. Inside the door jam it states that it was built in July 2007.... What's the chances that it was reprogramed before i bought it?
Key1

·
Registered
64 Posts
Actually Pretty good. I have an 08 which i bought 8/23 and was built in 07/07 and it is up to date with post august builds

Go here tis2web.service.gm.com

put your vin in and go to transmission

If it says this

24245971 0000F524 New calibration with shift feel improvements. (ECM must also be updated to the latest calibrations.)
24245743 000001C4 Transmission

You are good.

The Pre-August 08 updates are at the dealers for a couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for access to the website tis2web.service.gm.com......but I am not sure how reliable it is. I tried an experiment and checked the status of my power liftgate module through the site....the software indicated all of the fixes that had been done to repair the module for my vin number....AND I DONT HAVE A POWER LIFTGATE...
hmmm?
Key1

·
Registered
59 Posts
key1cc said:
Thanks for access to the website tis2web.service.gm.com......but I am not sure how reliable it is. I tried an experiment and checked the status of my power liftgate module through the site....the software indicated all of the fixes that had been done to repair the module for my vin number....AND I DONT HAVE A POWER LIFTGATE...
hmmm?
Key1
Yeah, it's not exactly accurate, as just any vin from a model year seems to give the same results regardless, so take it with a grain of salt.

Kind of like Saturn.com's useless Inventory feature...(which I just wrote them a detailed response on, twice, and received a phone call about)...but I digress.

I think that GM site above is useful for something, but not sure what totally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright!!!! I test drove an '08 Silver Outlook XR. I handles very well, rides smooth (right now I'm driving an '05 Xterra which is smooth, on flat road!!!), very large cabin and I didn't realize how large until I moved the drivers seat back for more legroom and it was too far back!!! Nice throttle response also when you hit the gas. I'm sold on it for sure!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oops - sorry - I was thinking your purchase date was August 7th, not September 7th. my bad. You probably have it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was trying to find any information on the FWD vs AWD. If I got FWD, I would save $2,000. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
drakutis,

I went with the XR FWD for these reasons.
1. Less weight, better gas milage
2. Less drivetrain components to go wrong.
3. We have a FWD Vue and RWD Pickup, have had several FWD minivans and have never missed AWD.
4. Stabilitrack
5. Saved $2000

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Ward

·
Registered
69 Posts
In addition to what "Smokey Bear" just metioned above.....I went with the FWD because I would expect the lighter vehicle to provide slightly better acceleration.
Key1

·
Registered
65 Posts
smokey bear said:
drakutis,

I went with the XR FWD for these reasons.
1. Less weight, better gas milage
2. Less drivetrain components to go wrong.
3. We have a FWD Vue and RWD Pickup, have had several FWD minivans and have never missed AWD.
4. Stabilitrack
5. Saved $2000

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Ward
We also went with FWD. If the vehicle had been RWD, then I would have bought the AWD version, but I've driven FWD vehicles in the snow and ice in the midwest for 20 years and I've never had a problem. IMO, AWD is really only necessary if you live in a snowy mountainous region. Otherwise, you're paying $2000 for something you don't need and a AWD nameplate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
tk421 said:
IMO, AWD is really only necessary if you live in a snowy mountainous region. Otherwise, you're paying $2000 for something you don't need and a AWD nameplate.
Exactly, and even THEN, you'd still be fine with FWD and the traction & stability control systems. I can only see getting AWD if you live in the very worst of places more than a month a year, and even then, not sure.

We're now on our second special ordered 2wd Suburban (RWD, mind you), in a beach area where dealers still stock nothing but 4wd's, and have never had an issue even travelling to PA in the winter and driving on really bad, true mountain side roads.

Save the big lump of cash, and just enjoy driving a lighter vehicle with less future maintenance requirements (i.e. the extra AWD bits and pieces).

But, so, how did the test drive and look-see actually go?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts