Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2007 saturn outlook xr with 110k miles, 5k left on loan needing new breaks, replacement of two rear tires, and 100k maintenance has been quoted at about $1200 by chevy dealership. So at least 7k needed out of my pocket before the year is over. A dealer is willing to give 4-5k for it but I assume I may need to address the screeching breaks before hand and put some better rear tires so that's about 1k. In one hand it's 7k vs 1k out of pocket so am I better of taking the 7k and putting it towards a new vehicle instead?

My feeling is to get a new one due to the many issues reported on the saturn plus the bad mpg. My saturn already went through the misfiring repairs luckily under warranty but I'm starting to hear other noises but drives and shifts ok. Thoughts?

·
Registered
754 Posts
A new vehicle is going to cost you a good $30,000.

buy some tires-- about $200 each.
do the brake pads yourself.
the 100,000 maintenance is probably the spark plugs.... someone posted a HOW to on here.

And pay off the vehicle.
Drive it as long as you can after youve paid it off.... but continue to pay yourself a monthly $400 car payment.
for as long as you drive the vehicle after its paid off..
this money can then become the next down payment---
or a repair fund for repairs.

Or trade it in and end up with a $500 monthly payment for the next 5 yrs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with the above post. Keep it, pay it off. 100k maintenance may be a LOT of work you may not need. If you ARE going to trade it in DO NOT put any money into it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cheapest car you can drive is almost always the one you own.

100K service is plugs and coolant change, maybe trans fluid too. Read your owner's manual on what should be done and get that done only. Dealers add a lot of extra stuff not recommended by the manufacturer. I just got a new Car and Driver and in the back they have a comparison, over 40K miles it was something like $6K vs. $2K. [EDIT: I checked the article when I got home, I was way off. $2400 vs $600.] It's not on their web site yet. Check with an independent shop, I'm sure you can get it done for under $1200. If it's all 3 of those, I'm betting less than $500.

Brakes are easy work if you can do them. If not, again, an independent shop should be able to do them for a couple hundred bucks.

Tires all around is under $1000, two is another $500.

Total, I'm thinking maybe $2K to get it in shape, not $7K (not sure where than number came from). Even less if you can do things yourself.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sell it yourself, don't trade it in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope you kept it.
Mine has been paid off for over a year. Even with the maintenance and transmission (3yr/100K mile warranty), new tires brakes and rotors I had to do since paying it off is cheaper than what my car payment would have been for 8 months. I'm **** bent on driving this for at least two more years. The engine still runs perfect. It's always had Mobile 1 at 5000 mile increments. My next car will likely be an Acadia and I'm hoping to give this to my daughter. I bought it new, so I know it front to back.

'07 Outllok
141k miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts