Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 XR with a leaking sunroof. After reading through the threads on this problem (mis-engineered drain tubes that are too short and also bad gaskets on luggage racks),
I'm wondering what are my options with GM dealers? I understand there is a kit that will connect the two drain lines. Will they do the work and was there ever a recall on this problem?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
They will do the work but more than likely charge you. The recall expired back in Sept. 09. Did you buy new or used and if used from a dealer?

·
Registered
252 Posts
khansen30 said:
They will do the work but more than likely charge you. The recall expired back in Sept. 09. Did you buy new or used and if used from a dealer?
Looking at their older posts, no he didn't buy new as he posted : Brand new second owner of 07 XR with 103k miles

He/she had leaker posts from this summer. You need to talk to a GM dealer to make sure the extension tubes were installed. They can run a GMVIS report to see if this was done. If that was't done, they need to be done ASAP. The longer you wait the more damage is being done to something that you can't see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with the dealer who services Saturns today. Turns out the GMVIS report revealed the drain tube connection fix was accomplished August 2008.
I bought the car this past June and a few days later I noticed the leak. The dealers "leak guy" found it was clogged, cleared it and I was good to go.
Now, four months later I've started noticing it again. I blew compressed air through it and it appeared clear.
Though, I can still see it during moderate rain dripping from under the driver side dashboard, just inside the door.
I guess it could be the luggage rack mounts. If it is, at least it's an easy fix. If not it's back to the leak guy.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You may of put too much air in the line and blew the connection apart or something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have just fallen victim to the leaky sunroof issue. We good a good soaking on Saturday night (5/5). We didn't notice until I applied the brakes for the first time on Sunday morning, and a waterfall of water came from above the headliner, onto the dashboard, and into my wife's shoes. She was not happy. :angryfire: We have an appointment with a service center at the dealer, and hopefully they will be able to help us out. I did a quick visual inspection, and nothing appears to be clogged, but there is much I couldn't see.

I'll do an update when I get word from the dealer.

thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
bigblumer said:
We have just fallen victim to the leaky sunroof issue. We good a good soaking on Saturday night (5/5). We didn't notice until I applied the brakes for the first time on Sunday morning, and a waterfall of water came from above the headliner, onto the dashboard, and into my wife's shoes. She was not happy. :angryfire: We have an appointment with a service center at the dealer, and hopefully they will be able to help us out. I did a quick visual inspection, and nothing appears to be clogged, but there is much I couldn't see.

thanks,
Paul
At this late date of just now having a leak it might just be clogged drain lines. I had that a couple of times after my Outlook was repaired. Caused by leaving the roof open or cracked when parked and debre or dirt landing in the tracks, getting washed down the drain tubes and clogging the lines. Dealer might charge about 200 to clean them out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
bigblumer said:

thanks,
Paul
I can understand all the emotions that you and your wife are going through with the leak issue on your Outlook. Please, let me know how your visit goes to the dealership.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
15 Posts
The drain tubes are fine. Apparently the gasket around the window is leaking. The dealer gave me two options for repair. 1) Replace only the gasket, and see how it goes, for $350, or so. 2) Replace the gasket and the glass for $500, and know the problem is fixed. The labor is the same on both, its just the cost of parts that goes up.

I have a friend that is a former GM mechanic (laid off when the dealer closed) that I have do all of my non-warranty work. He said he could do the gasket for the cost of parts and a pizza. I think I'll take him up on that. Hopefully, that's all it really needs.

The dealer also did the headlight wiring harness recall, so I'm all set there.

I really like my local GM Service department. I would like to give them more business, but its hard when you got a friend that will work for food and beer, with his own lift (which he got from his former employer at auction). :cheers:

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
bigblumer said:
The drain tubes are fine. Apparently the gasket around the window is leaking. The dealer gave me two options for repair. 1) Replace only the gasket, and see how it goes, for $350, or so. 2) Replace the gasket and the glass for $500, and know the problem is fixed. The labor is the same on both, its just the cost of parts that goes up.

I have a friend that is a former GM mechanic (laid off when the dealer closed) that I have do all of my non-warranty work. He said he could do the gasket for the cost of parts and a pizza. I think I'll take him up on that. Hopefully, that's all it really needs.

The dealer also did the headlight wiring harness recall, so I'm all set there.

I really like my local GM Service department. I would like to give them more business, but its hard when you got a friend that will work for food and beer, with his own lift (which he got from his former employer at auction). :cheers:
If water is sloshing around up top, how do you know the tubes are fine? And you do know that some water will come in around the seal and that's why the drains are there, right?

I only ask to confirm because I have been down this road before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealer reported the tubes being free of debris, and the TSB fix was performed back in 2009. There is quite a large gap in the seal on the passenger side. I wanna say its close to 3 inches long and a little less than 1/4in wide (3/16ths). With the heavy rain we got last weekend, I think the sheer volume of water coming in through the seal was just more than the tubes could handle. We got A LOT of rain that night.

I conducted my own test at home with the garden hose last night. I just laid it on the roof, business end flowing towards the hood, and climbed inside the car. Instantly, water started to seep inside the car. It was more than a drip. Its easy to see how the drainage system could be overloaded in a heavy downpour.

I got the car washed today since I put hard water stains all over the windows. While in the car was with the high pressure water, there was a little leakage, but nothing the drainage system couldn't handle.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going thru the same thing on my 07 they did the sunroof tsb when i bought it. Heavy rains made the headliner wet again. Took it back said drain tubes plugged. Which is amazing because it was just 2 weeks later. A week later it happened again this time they completely removed headliner found several windows leaking and the roof rack leaking. At least we didn't have water pouring in like you did just a wet headliner in the passenger side lower corner and it was under certified used warranty.

·
Registered
353 Posts
maroguy1 said:
I am going thru the same thing on my 07 they did the sunroof tsb when i bought it. Heavy rains made the headliner wet again. Took it back said drain tubes plugged. Which is amazing because it was just 2 weeks later. A week later it happened again this time they completely removed headliner found several windows leaking and the roof rack leaking. At least we didn't have water pouring in like you did just a wet headliner in the passenger side lower corner and it was under certified used warranty.
I am glad this was taken care of for you. Please, let me know how things are going with this in the future. I hope you have a great week.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
29 Posts
It came back worse than ever. The cold over the winter must have opened something up. I have water dripping out of all the map lights and my new touchscreen stereo even got wet. Took it back last friday and now it is out of warranty. Well roof rack is leaking 280$ to fix. Well I get the vehicle home and notice greasey foot prints on the carpenting and plastics around the drivers door. So I clean it up and I decide to look in back pop the hatch and I find a 10" long crack in the plastic on the passenger side 3rd row plastics that extend from the hatch area to the rear doors. I take it back they said no prob we will order one and it will take a month to get. Monday night I go to work and find my interior lights that come on with the headlights aren't working along with the map lights only working when you turn up the dimmer or open the door. So I get out of work and it is raining well guess what soaking wet headliner and I get wet again driving home from work. You can't imagine how peeved I am at this point so I took it back again and they said they will try again Friday. Is there anything gm can do to help me out or is this just deal with it until I can trade it in for something else??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was in the same boat. All of the recalls had been preformed. I took it upon myself to remove the headliner and check on everything myself. Running a hose over the roof and checking for leaks. There are a few small holes located around the rear sunroof that are used during production. They are not filled with enough sealant and can start to leak. After filling the holes as well as several other areas around the rear sunroof everything is great without any reoccurance of leakage into the interior.

If you need pictures I have them somewhere and can dig them up.
MSG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where do these drain tubes exit? In the wheel well? I have looked and looked and just can't find the exit.

GF just picked up an '07 Outlook with major roof leaks. So I am going to be digging into this tomorrow.

Drain tubes were "fixed in '09

will be checking

1. tubes for routing and kinks
2. blow out tubes
3. sealing holes above vista roof glass
4. sealing outside channel around vista glass with Dum Dum sealer

I sure hope this cures the issue since the liner is stained from the leaks and some mildew/mold is present!

·
Registered
214 Posts
300Maximilien said:
Where do these drain tubes exit? In the wheel well? I have looked and looked and just can't find the exit.

GF just picked up an '07 Outlook with major roof leaks. So I am going to be digging into this tomorrow.

Drain tubes were "fixed in '09

will be checking

1. tubes for routing and kinks
2. blow out tubes
3. sealing holes above vista roof glass
4. sealing outside channel around vista glass with Dum Dum sealer

I sure hope this cures the issue since the liner is stained from the leaks and some mildew/mold is present!
Sign up over on the Enclave, Traverse, and Acadia forums also if you haven't already. You can use your same username and password there as here. That will allow you to see any pictures posted about the sunroof and drains. Do a search on those boards and you will find plenty of helpful suggestions about repairing your leak(s) with some great pictures posted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just had mine fixed and they said it was not the drain tubes but the seal around the moon roof . It had a gap in it, they replaced the seal and dryed up the water in the fuse box and carpet. Its been pouring here and not a leak yet. I am watching it like a hawk.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts