Saturn Outlook Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 XR out look, the lift gate won’t open, I can open it through the release inside but it won’t open other wise, it was opening randomly while I was driving, I’d pull over and close it, but I was unloading groceries one day and it fell shut, now it won’t open, any ideas?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Since you do not have the rocker switch inside on the center console, you have a manual rear lift gate. If it doesn’t stay up, you need new strut rods. About $35 each at rockauto.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is old but inside the handle below the license plate there is a little pressure switch which unlocks the rear liftgate. Could be the switch is bad. Also the vehicle has to be in park with doors unlocked to open. Was yelling at the wife to unlock it the other day and she said it was. Then she put it in park and it was able to be opened. If yours flew up and doesnt have the "power liftgate" button (which your pic shows that it doesn't like mine as well) you might have a switch problem. Could something have fallen into the latch area and jammed it? Has someone tried pushing from the inside as well? The little switch usually is just a small spring that keeps two contacts apart so its unlikely but not impossible to have failed. You said it flew up while driving? Is there a chance it was damaged?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Even though you may not have an electric operator, you still have a electric latch and a switch to release the electric latch. If your button is not working then the latch will not operate properly. Sure check fuses and if you get unit open, check operation with a screwdriver to see if it latches and unlatches. If it doesn't stay up you need now strut rods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts