Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my windshield replaced on my 2007 Outlook. Since then it seems hard to see the radio and climate control displays during the daytime. I am suspecting a problem with the automatic light sensor.

Can someone tell me the location of the sensor?

I expected it to be on the dash by the front window defogger vent. In fact there appears to be a hole just to the driver side of this vent that I suspect is the location but there is nothing there. could the sensor have been pushed down inside?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a dark translucent plastic bump in that location that I believe is the sensor that controls automatic headlights and, therefore, the interior light dimming. Are your headlights always on?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yep it sounds like the solar sensor is pushed down inside the dash causing your headlights to run all the time which dims all the interior back lighting. I just wonder how the sensor dropped down into the dash; the windshield installers usually work from outside the vehicle

·
Registered
353 Posts
@mgrierson, I have read your post about seeking the location of the sensor that turns on your headlamps and dims your interior lights. On page 200 of the 2007 Saturn outlook owner's manual, I see that this sensor could be located on the top of the instrument panel near the windshield.

On page 203 of the owner's manual I also read that the solar sensor is located in the defrost grille in the middle of the instrument panel which monitors the solar radiation.

The interior temperature sensor is located on the instrument panel to the right of the steering column. This sensor measures the temperature of the air inside the vehicle.

If you have further questions about this please, don't hesitate to contact me.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to everyone for the replies.
LambdaK: Yes the headlights are always on when in Automatic mode, including the tail lights.

I had the Window replaced at the dealer where I purchased the vehicle as it was leaking and allowing water to enter the relay box under the passenger side dash. This caused several electrical problems including the driver side door lock actuator and I believe the failure of both low beam headlights. These items were repaired when they replaced the windshield

I am sure they contracted out the replacement of the window to a local glass company.

One of the headlights has failed again, so I took the car back to the dealer this morning and set an appointment for tomorrow to have it fixed as, apparently, it has a 12 month warranty. The gentleman at the service counter was not familiar with the light sensor location, but said they would address that as well tomorrow. Hopefully this will be the resolution to my problem.

·
Registered
754 Posts
yup- on the dash- practically in the center of the dash-- up towards the windshield... there should be a small 'bubble'
the sensor sits within it.

this is my Traverse- but your bubble should be in practically the same location

·
Registered
201 Posts
mgrierson said:
I recently had my windshield replaced on my 2007 Outlook. Since then it seems hard to see the radio and climate control displays during the daytime. I am suspecting a problem with the automatic light sensor.

Can someone tell me the location of the sensor?

I expected it to be on the dash by the front window defogger vent. In fact there appears to be a hole just to the driver side of this vent that I suspect is the location but there is nothing there. could the sensor have been pushed down inside?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sounds like you need to head back to where the windshield replacement was done and have them fix the problem they likely introduced by forgetting to "fix" the sensor they removed or broke. You are exactly correct in thinking it's in the dashboard area right by the windshield defogger vent.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If indeed the light sensor is pushed down in the dash, that defrost register should pop right out with a flat screwdriver and a good cloth to pry against, then you should be able to access the sensor to push it into place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts