Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm undecided... hopefully I can get some educated opinions on what I should do. I am looking at a 08' with 67,000 miles. Clearn CarFax, it was a lease. This is a base model and dosen't have a lot of bells and whistle, which were ok with. They are asking $16,500 for it. What do you think? I know everyone has had their experiences, but there are also a lot of good ones out there too... Help me to decide... PLEASE!!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Is this located at a GM dealership? If so I would ask them to run a vehicle report showing what maintenance, including warranty work, has been performed in the past. This will give you an idea as to how well the previous owners took care of this vehicle. It will also tell you if any water leaks were repaired, that is if there is a sun roof, any timing chain work and any transmission work as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is located at a GM dealership. I will ask for that report. It does not have a sunroof/moonroof which looks like a good thing! There is a tick in the front end after it starts up and runs for a minute... my dad was a little concerened (whom is a GM retiree) but the dealership blew it off like it's a normal thing. Any ideas on that??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would not purchase any Enclave, Outlook, Traverse, or Acadia prior to the 2010 models. Too many waterpumps, waveplates (transmission), timing chains, electrical malfunctions (wet fuse box even without a sunroof), cam problems, etc. There are a lot of improvements made since these came out in 2007, but there are still some common issues such as noisy steering, weak stabilizer links, etc.

If the engine has a ticking noise now, wait until the "mechanic in a bottle" the dealer may have added wears out! :D The dealer of course will "blow it off" and you may end up with a blown engine. Have the car checked out by a different mechanic, including engine compression, etc. Make sure you do your due diligence, especially on these 2007-2010 models. Not all are bad, but you know the old saying about one rotten apple in a barrel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a 07 with 63K for $12,995. So far so good. I do overkill on servicing it though. Fluid flushes, synthetic oil changes, etc...
So far I have had to do Front sway bar end links and replaced all the switches for the electric tailgate because it had a mind of it's own. Mileage really isn't as good as a wanted but it hauls my family with ease. Mine doesn't have a sunroof so hopefully there will be no water leaks. For the money,size and safety there really isn't much out there comparable. Every manufacturer has issues. I work for Audi, the issues I read on here doesn't even come close to an Audi forums issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd push for a better price. I paid less for an '09 XR AWD (with 15k more miles), with all options except DVD/NAV. Was also nice that the '09 have the 100k/5yr powertrain warranty.

Either way, factor in an extended warranty for piece of mind. Depending on your previous car, you may get a shock at the fuel pump too. Ironically, it may not be that big of a shock (we traded in an '11 Buick Regal which we were only getting about 19mpg...lots of city driving and now we get about 18mpg with our Outlook).

As for the ticking noise, does it happen when you put your foot on the brake after startup and only happen once? If so, it may just be the anti-lock brake system pressurizing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
granpasbluigrl said:
I'm undecided... hopefully I can get some educated opinions on what I should do. I am looking at a 08' with 67,000 miles. Clearn CarFax, it was a lease. This is a base model and dosen't have a lot of bells and whistle, which were ok with. They are asking $16,500 for it. What do you think? I know everyone has had their experiences, but there are also a lot of good ones out there too... Help me to decide... PLEASE!!
I'm really liking my New to me Outlook XR when I picked it up this month there was already 102,000 mile on it but it is a fully loaded XR with just about everything you could find and we got it for $15,000. I'm really liking it though it is a smooth runing vehicle and the fuel economy is better than my Mazda CX-7 although I do miss the turbo boost every now and again. I've changed out the sway bar end links since I was getting the rattle at lower speeds from the front end and that is currently fixed with Moog parts. I know there are a lot of possible issues so in that sence it is a little bit of a gamble. Although I would hope some of the issues if they would have arrised would have done so already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts