Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Motorola IHF1000- Bluetooth Kit installation writeup

14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sgroer 
#1 ·
I installed the Motorola T605 Bluetooth kit into my 2007 Outlook XR with Nav. Then, I removed it and replaced it with a Motorola IHF1000. i don't know if my t605 was defective or not, but it was unreliable, made a horrible pop whenever the phone audio came on and overall, just wasn't pleased with it.

I ordered the GMSS-3a online for about $95 and the IHF1000 came from Ebay for about $150.

The IHF1000 is WAY better than the T605. Here's a step by step on how I did it! I take no responsibility for youur installation. This is purely a description of how I did my installation. You can use this info, but only at your own risk.

Step 1 - Remove the trim around the radio. This is accompshed by working from the top down. There are two tabs underneath the upper storage unit that I was able to release with a small screwdriver. Put some masking tape across the top of the trim panel to prevent scratches. Once the top tabs are released, there are 2 more on ech side. The trim will come out fairly easily once the top tabs have been released. Once you have the trim removed, leave it connected and leat it hang to the side of the center stack

Step2 - Remove and disconnect radio - 4 screws around the perimeter off the radio and out she comes! Then just disconnect the 2 antenna leads and the 4 harnesses.

Step3 - Connect the GMSS-3A harness to the radio. The gmss-3a connects to the two harnesses on the right side of the radio (when looking from the front). The gmss-3a is a "T" hanress. You will plug the factory connectors into one end, and then plug the GMSS-3a into the back of the radio. The connectors on the gmss-3a need quite a push to snap into the back of the radio.

Step 4 - Connect the GMSS-3a to the interface box. The gmss-3a comes with a black interface box. Plug the connector from the harness into the box. Make sure your jumpers are set correctly according to the picture on the box. Tuck the interface box into the area to the right of the radio cubby.

Step 5 - Install the microphone. I put mine on the top of the a pillar and ran the wire behind the trim.

Then popped the endcap of the dash:

Then Into the dash and across - Detaching the panel underneath the steering wheel is easy. Just pull downward HARD on each side:

The into the radio area by going behind the trim panel - You can also see where I nstalled the bluetooth control panel as well:

Step 7 - Connect the bluetooth interface box. Several connections here
1 - the microphone
2 - The bluetooth panel
3 - The power for the interface box, and mute wire. I had to switch the yellow and orange wires to get the phone mute to work.
4 - The speaker output

Note that the motorola interface has 6 pins and the gmss-3a has an 8 pin harness. Here is a pic of the connections:

Step 8 - Now that everything is connected, tuck the bluetoth interface box into the area where you put the harness box. Make sure not to place it over too far as the passenger side airbag is clearly visible behind the dash. I was able to slip it way down into the dash, almost to the floor.

Step 9 - Arrange all of your wires... Make sure all of your wires are secured and out of the way of the radio. this takes some reconnecting and connecting to eliminate tangles.

Step 10 - Reconnect the rest of the radio and install it. It may take you moving some wires aound to get the radio to fit. Screw the 4 bolts that hold the radio in. Reinstall the radio trim panel by snappng the clips in from bottom to top and you are done!

Follow the directions that came with your phone kit to pair your device. The kit will turn on with the ignition and turn off when you open the door.

See less See more
#4 ·
Has anyone checked out the GMX320 Lockpick? It seems to allow for bluetooth integration to Onstar (something I really wish was available in my Outlook Standard!) as well as many other features. Check out the video of features on this site. I would be interested if anyone has installed one of these units.

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm

*** EDIT ***
Found this thread on the Buick Enclave forum that speaks to someone's experiences...
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1444.msg30891

#6 ·
sgroer,

Thanks for the great writeup. I am about to install the same setup and wondered if you would mind answering a few questions:

1) It looks like you have the rear seat DVD system. If so, can you confirm that when you are on a phone call, that the back seat passengers are not interrupted (assuming they are listening on their headsets)?
2) You mention that the t605 had a popping sound. Do you have a clear, quiet (ie no hissing/buzzing/popping) connection with this setup? I have read lots of posts of impedance mismatch and the need for supplemental ground loop isolators, or impedance matching devices, etc.
3) On one of your pictures, you show a screenshot showing "Bluetooth Kit". Do you get any other displays such as caller id, dialed number, etc.?
4) Did you use the MOT100 adapter with your kit: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1082 ? How did you know to reverse the wiring in step 7 (for the mute function)?
5) You mention a part number of GMSS-3, but the harnesses I have found are GMCSS-3A (made by CELLSITE). Can you confirm your part number and manufacturer? Here is a link I found to the GMCSS-3A - http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1078

Thanks for your time!

#7 ·
28948 said:
sgroer,

Thanks for the great writeup. I am about to install the same setup and wondered if you would mind answering a few questions:

1) It looks like you have the rear seat DVD system. If so, can you confirm that when you are on a phone call, that the back seat passengers are not interrupted (assuming they are listening on their headsets)?
I do have rear DVD - There is never interruption to the rear seat passengers when they are wearing headphones

2) You mention that the t605 had a popping sound. Do you have a clear, quiet (ie no hissing/buzzing/popping) connection with this setup? I have read lots of posts of impedance mismatch and the need for supplemental ground loop isolators, or impedance matching devices, etc.

When the T605 activated, it made a pop that was loud enought that I was concerned it was damaging the speakers (and my ears). There is no popping, but there is a bit of a whining noise with the IHF1000, but it is VERY slight. It is not enough to bother me and I am very particular about those types of things.

3) On one of your pictures, you show a screenshot showing "Bluetooth Kit". Do you get any other displays such as caller id, dialed number, etc.?
All you get is "bluetooth kit". The IHF1000 does announce the caller ID upon ringing though (number only, not name tags)

4) Did you use the MOT100 adapter with your kit: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1082 ? How did you know to reverse the wiring in step 7 (for the mute function)?

I did not use the MOT100 kit - I found in other forums online that the wiring switch is necessary in some cases and there is speculation that it depends upon what version of the kit you get. I'd recommend trying it without switching, then if it doesn't work, make the switch.That's what I did. The MOT100 kit is not necessary, and additionally, there is very little room left for additional harnesses back there behind the radio when all is said and done. I'd recommend against adding anything additional. I'd imagine you wouldn't have to switch the two wires if you install the MOT100, but it's very simple to do.

5) You mention a part number of GMSS-3, but the harnesses I have found are GMCSS-3A (made by CELLSITE). Can you confirm your part number and manufacturer? Here is a link I found to the GMCSS-3A - http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1078
GMSS-3a is the correct part.
Thanks for your time!

I am PM'ing you my email address should you need any help during the install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.