Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day as I was outside I thought I saw out of the corner of my eye my hatch moving by itself. After waiting it started moving. Upon closer inspection it appears the boot where the finger switch on the back hatch is has a small tear in it. Apparantly some salt and moisture had gotten inside it and ruined the contacts. I wondered about this thing back when I bought it because there were some serious gouges in the chrome light holder on the hatch along with some on the wiper and painted areas. It seems this may have had this issue before and was caught in a over head garage door. It acted oddly during the summer when we got a lot of rain but it seemed to be fine up until yesterday. I had to order a new switch. Hopefully it will come in soon. Anyone have a PDF on how to take apart the rear hatch cover to get to the switch?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to tear into this issue since I bought a new switch (less than $20). From start to finish it took about 30 minutes to do.

Here's a picture of the old and new switch. If you look close you can see some corrosion on the back of the old switch.

Here's a picture of the old switch with out the rubber cover. You can clearly see that moisture and probably salt has entered inside and messed up the contacts.

Here's the lovely damage my car due to the cheap design of our expensive cars.

·
Registered
754 Posts
interesting.
did you find the source of the 'leak'

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Not to defend anything here but these issues could of been caused by the previous owner. Maybe they had a dog that jumped up and poked a hole into the rubber pc and scratched the chrome plastic part or maybe the rubber pc is just plain defective, we dont know and this is the 1st I've seen of this hatch button issue. I dont think it's because of a "cheap design" that the thing is gouged, its because of human or animal error that caused damage on the chrome pc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if you look at the total scratch area on the hatch it certainly looks like it operated when it wasn't suppose to. Also like I stated before I witnessed this hatch opening and closing by itself. It got so bad I had to shut it off at the dash switch. Many times I would start the vehicle and it would say the hatch was open and I had shut it with the driver's door open, put it in gear then shut the door.

On the switch itself it was leaking on one side edge where it is molded together. Not sure how this could be operator error since this switch I am talking about is the outside one on the hatch. Sort of hard to mess that up or have a dog get in there and mess it up. Besides, I've owned the car for about 10 months now and it only now started to show problems. Also, my dealer had the switch in stock because they've been replacing so many of them. Apparantly this switch is very common on a lot of different platforms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also had the same issue with my rear hatch switch. I decided to replace mine as well. $25 at the dealer for the part. You remove the switch from the outside. However the electrical connector is accessed from the inside via removing one of the interior lights from the rear hatch panel. Finally removing the around access cover is also helpful. So all of this can be done quite easily without much disassembly or removal of interior panels. I hope this is helpful I am also unable to attach pictures from my phone

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Jblood98 said:
I also had the same issue with my rear hatch switch. I decided to replace mine as well. $25 at the dealer for the part. You remove the switch from the outside. However the electrical connector is accessed from the inside via removing one of the interior lights from the rear hatch panel. Finally removing the around access cover is also helpful. So all of this can be done quite easily without much disassembly or removal of interior panels. I hope this is helpful I am also unable to attach pictures from my phone
Yes, there is something with the forum and attaching pics, some work and some dont.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
You cannot post photos until you have either 5 or 10 posts under your belt.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Maybe something is wrong with my dino computer because I can't post pics on any of the 4 forums (file too large) and I can't get on the Acadia forum still, but I can with my new phone :)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
sixathome said:
Maybe something is wrong with my dino computer because I can't post pics on any of the 4 forums (file too large) and I can't get on the Acadia forum still, but I can with my new phone :)
I have to downsize my photos to 1000x750 pixels on the Enclave, Outlook and Traverse boards.

On the Acadia board there is a problem so the only way to post photos is to link from a photobucket account. You can though on the Acadia board post photos into the gallery but then again they need to be a certain size which I just downsize as I stated above to 1000X750 pixels.

Now the Enclave board the gallery hasn't worked since Admin upgraded the board. Photos are still there we just cannot access nor can we retrieve the photos. Still can post within a thread though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts