Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

We just purchased one of the very few remaining 2007 Outlook AWD's in the country. Took advantage of the 0% apr for 60 and got it for $1,700 below invoice... what a deal. It's an XR with AWD, Nav, DVD, Convenience package. Love the vehicle... just love it!

The ONE gripe i have about the car is the wood trim. I love the steel looking trim in the XE, so I am on a mission to get rid of it. I know there is one issue... the DIC buttons on the XR. I have a friend with a laser cutter, so I think I can cut the correct hole in the XE trim.

Any adventurous XE owner want to trade? I am afraid to even ask how much the trim would be at the dealer... :-[

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is the sole reason I got an XE over an XR, (or an Acadia or Enclave) for that matter. I really like the brushed steel on the XE. I even gave up the extra horsepower just to get the XE interior.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to see I m not alone... Maybe I'll get past it, but not yet! I am looking for an xe at a junkyard. I think it's my best bet. There is one in Florida, but that's a bit of a drive! it's kinf of near my parent's house so maybe next time we get down there with the family I will check it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife and I are thinking of getting an Outlook. We are waiting to see if it gets the direct injection engine for 09. I guess I'll find out when the order banks open up sometime in April or May. I wish we could get an AWD XR without the wood trim. My wife does not like the wood either. So I have to get an XE but I wish the XE had body color side molding instead of black because we like the Gold Mist color and I don't care for the black trim on the gold color. Oh well, it's not an earth shaking problem. Sometimes you have to compromise something. I really like the look of the Outlook!

·
Registered
59 Posts
scarpi said:
My wife and I are thinking of getting an Outlook. We are waiting to see if it gets the direct injection engine for 09. I guess I'll find out when the order banks open up sometime in April or May. I wish we could get an AWD XR without the wood trim. My wife does not like the wood either. So I have to get an XE but I wish the XE had body color side molding instead of black because we like the Gold Mist color and I don't care for the black trim on the gold color. Oh well, it's not an earth shaking problem. Sometimes you have to compromise something. I really like the look of the Outlook!
ALL 2009 Lambda vehicles (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave, and Outlook) get the 3.6L Direct Injection engine standard, which was already confirmed. Otherwise, the only key new things will be available Bluetooth, back-up camera without requiring navigation, and cooled (in addition to heated) seats available on higher trim levels.

As for the wood vs. silver...don't expect that to change. XE will most likely continue with silver, and XR with the faux wood. This has been a common complaint with many GM vehicles, but actually the only one that offers an orderable choice (i.e. it's no cost, and you either check off the silver or the wood, as you please) is the Impala. That should be a choice on every other vehicle, but as small as it is, it adds complexity to the build.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Back in 92 when the redesigned Bonneville came out I bought one. It was really nice. But it came with fake wood on the dash. Then the 93 came out with dark grey trim on the dash. The dash was the same as the 92, so I bought the dark grey parts from the dealer and replaced the fake wood with the dark grey myself. It's all just personal choice. That Bonneville was one of the first round styled sedans and at the time it stood out from the pack. I loved it. I had that car for 13 years and in the end it still looked stylish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Agreed...I like both depending on the ambiance (wood is usually warmer/richer and silver/metal/gray is usually more modern and techie), with a bit of an edge the silver here. Then again, I also loved the wood/cashmere combination in an Outlook XR I drove last summer, so my taste tends to depend a lot on the other colors and trims as well.

As for this case, as the diagrams (and part listings) show, the dash trim pieces can for sure be ordered new in either way. For the doors, nothing seems to be listed separately, just that the door panels are treated as mostly one "all together" item, but the silver or wood trim piece should still come off and be swappable...and might have a part number on it. Just a guess, though. The fact that it isn't depicted that way in the catalogs or listed at all (I don't think, at least) makes me skeptical, but not 100%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your help....

I'll post back up if i decide to try it out or make any progress. That is interesting that the door panels are one part, including the trim.. it's obvious that the wood is a separate piece. I definitely am not getting all new door panels! We'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Sean

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a plastic trim that only looks like wood correct? (I have an Acadia, so I can't look).

If so, why don't you consider just sanding the pieces down and painting them? You can get a silver brushed spray can, or even get real custom by going to http://www.paintscratch.com to order a spray can in your exterior color. If you're going to go thru all the work to take each trim piece off anyway, why not take some extra time to go this route. Save a bundle of money and the finished product will look very nice as long as you prep properly and know how to handle a spray can. Get a can of gloss as well to really make it shine...just my .02 :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts