Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Outlook with the optional Navigation system with the DVD player. When you play a movie in the DVD, it plays on the DVD ceiling mounted screen and also on the Navigation screen while in "Park". But when you shift from "Park" the navigation screen shuts down for safety reasons and doesn't play the DVD movie any longer until you place the vehicle back in "Park". My question is, does anyone know how to defeat this function so the navigation screen will continue to play the DVD movie while the vehicle is in "Drive" so the front seat driver & passenger can watch the movie while driving? Is there a wire that can be cut between the Nav system and transmission? Something that can be unplugged? Has anyone tried to do this yet? Thanks, Gk

·
Registered
30 Posts
gksintx said:
I have an Outlook with the optional Navigation system with the DVD player. When you play a movie in the DVD, it plays on the DVD ceiling mounted screen and also on the Navigation screen while in "Park". But when you shift from "Park" the navigation screen shuts down for safety reasons and doesn't play the DVD movie any longer until you place the vehicle back in "Park". My question is, does anyone know how to defeat this function so the navigation screen will continue to play the DVD movie while the vehicle is in "Drive" so the front seat driver & passenger can watch the movie while driving? Is there a wire that can be cut between the Nav system and transmission? Something that can be unplugged? Has anyone tried to do this yet? Thanks, Gk
Most people are talking about products from Coastal eTech. My understanding is that you tap one of your steering wheel controls 4 times and suddenly the DVD screen and Nav system will allow you full functionality (i.e. Park mode). Tap it 4 more times to set it back to factory settings (i.e. if Mr Policeman is walking up beside you).

Caveats
  • If you have a radio/video/Nav problem, your dealer will probably blame You for modifying the system and void the warranty
  • Coastal eTech doesn't support the Lambdas officially (i.e. Outlook/Enclave/Acadia), but you will see people on these forums using it (and their iPod unit also)
:

http://www.coastaletech.com/AMAZING_GM_LOCKPICKS.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
gksintx said:
Thanks Gbshuler. I tired that but it didn't work. Can you be more specific? Gk
Do you have their product installed? Without the lock pick (or one of the other products) you cannot do this. I don't have it (or an Outlook.. yet).

Here is a demonstration video from Coatal eTech showing how to enable the DVD display on the Nav head while the vehicle is moving. They also allow entering Nav data while moving, and viewing the rear camera out of reverse.

In the video he mentions hitting the "Voice button" on the steering wheel 4 times.
This is a Chevy Avalanche in the video

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/mp_GMLOCKPICK_1.asx

Again.. you can't do this in a vehicle coming from GM off the lot. You have to install special electronic devices behind your dashboard in the radio "head" area. This action could void your GM warranty. I don't think the Outlook is supported (yet) by Coastal eTech..

·
Registered
49 Posts
gksintx said:
First of all...WHY would you want to enable the ability to watch movies up front while driving? That's what's wrong with most drivers on the road today...too much multi-tasking!!! That's just what we need on the roads, one more yahoo that wants to peek at a movie while he/she's driving down the road. If it's the passenger you're setting this up for...why not just get a sunvisor monitor and tie it in to the signal for the flip down monitor.

Oh yeah, don't tell me you're disciplined enough not to peek at the monitor while you're driving...you are human above all!

There is a reason why any stereo installation shop that is licensed to do business MUST install in-dash mulit-media units in such a way that they are only viewable when the car is in park. It is for the safety of yourself as well as others on the road!!!!

Okay, enough venting. I don't know if a factory unit can be enabled simply, but I know installing aftermarket units, you simply ground out the wire that goes to the e-brake to make it think the e-brake is engaged all the time. ;) Personally, as I do stereo installs, I would never do this for anyone. I can explain how it's done and it's up to the owner to find someone else to do it or do it themselves. If they find themselves run up into the back of someone, up into a tree or light pole or off in a ditch because they were too busy watching a funny, intriguing scene on the lil screen, it will not be by my doing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the input. And no, I have not purchased the unit needed to do this. I mis-understood your first email gbshuler. Thanks again. Gk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's against the law to have a TV on in the front seat while driving. They gave a guy a ticket for doing that in the TV show "Chips". :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are a lot of things against the law, that doesn't stop folks from doing them. Do you know how many times I see vehicles with a flip out in the dash up front with a movie playing while the car is in motion? It's hard to really enforce it because if they get pulled over, they just have to switch over to nav. mode and tell the officer that they weren't watching a movie.

If they really want to make an impact (considering the parking break ground can be bypassed), they should design the units so that they operate with a motion sensor that would shut the movie DVD down when the vehicle is moving. They should design it in such a way that if one were to crack open the unit to disengage the sensor, then the whole unit won't work. :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also interested in "hacking the viewing while driving functions, not so much for watching my favorite Eric Clapton video, but it would be nice to enter a new destination point into the NAV (not for the driver of course, but for the passenger/navigator person). But if the voice activation is working right you don't need to be pushing buttons..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see this forum as a legitimate Saturn Outlook forum that discusses many great thoughts of GM's Mid-size SUV product. Are you telling me that you are the proud owner of an expensive Outlook ($30k+ no less) that is actually trying to circumvent the integrity of this vehicle as if it were some muscle car from the seventies? The very thought of you owning (obviously this SUV was a gift to you - no SANE person that paid over $20k for any vehicle would ask such a question) this vehicle is what is wrong with our American society/economy. As a teenager would say, "Oh - but I have to have this". Please use some other form of communication to drive your vehicle recklessly and let the people that drive around you know who you are - so we can point our proverbial "have you no shame" finger. Folks, its one thing to simply think of nice add-on after market features to your vehicle, but to strip away the safety protocols that were designed for a specific reason, is simply ignorant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a safety feature. If you get pulled over you could be cited for inattentive driving. Besides watching a DVD while driving aint the smartest thing in the world to be doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts