Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K well 2 weeks ago I bought a 2008 equinox LT AWD and leather seating. I think I paid too much for it. It also seems to me that is was beat up. A few scratches and a crack on the front grill and the rims are in bad shape. There also was a body clip missing on the front. It does run very well though and only 54000 km. I was thinking about trading it in for a outlook. I'm not going to loose any money if I trade it in now. So the saturn I'm looking at is also a 2008 but it is only FWD and no leather seats. One thing is that is also does not have a sun roof. I think it is a good thing bacause of all the leaking I'm reading about. Is there something I should look at and ask to get done before I buy. Also is there still a problem with leaking inside if I have no sunroof. Also has the problems with the tranny been fixed. I could ask to have the firmware updated on it before I buy. Hope someone else can help me get the most out of this deal and even if I should even go through it. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the 2008's are not Direct Injection engines. 2009+ are....

But I have not heard of too many leaking (without the sunroof).. actually dont think I have seen any post on it.
But you may also want to post this on the Acadia forum- as theres plenty of 2008 acadia owners over there--- and underneath- they are basically the same vehicle...

·
Registered
396 Posts
The sunroof leaks were the majority of water leaks; there is another issue of a seam leak between the windshield and the firewall area. The tranny software should be updated before you purchase it (if applicable). Remember that the tranny software update was a customer satisfaction program; which means there wasn't anything wrong with the tranny. Some owner's (including myself) were not pleased with the TCM software shift points; so GM released a revised program to change the shift points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what you guys are saying I should go for it. You must be pleased with yours. As for the firmware update. I don't like a transmission shifting often so does that mean I should get it. Also is there something else I should look at. Thanks you so much for your replies.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it were me, I'd try to get in an 2009 or newer. It seems that the 2007-2008 have more issues. The Outlook is a good buy now since the Saturn brand is no more and that scares folks who don't realize they are exactly like the Traverse, Acadia and Enclave under the skin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer only has the one 08 in stock. I will be taking it out for a test drive this afternoon. I just hope that I'm not making a big mistake. My main reason for posting is I wanted to know if it is better than my equinox. I don't like problems. If I'm better to keep what I have than that is ok.

Well the more I read about this outlook the more I think I should keep what I have. I have not read about so many problems with mine. I think I just paid a little too much for it and minor looks problems. I may also miss having an AWD. I just find that the equinox does not have a good turning radius, hard to steer and it is way too sensitive. Oh ya and has lots of big blind spots. Other than that it is great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with you. I was supposed to look at an 08 Outlook today but I just don't see enough positives wih this particular Outlook. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm done with the search. I will keep my equinox. I just got off the phone with my dealer and they are going to fix all my minor issues with it. Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Both vehicles are good options. The best way to make your decision would be to take a test drive of the vehicle. You may even be able to keep it over night. This will give you a better idea about which will work for you. Please keep us updated. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GM Customer Service said:
Both vehicles are good options. The best way to make your decision would be to take a test drive of the vehicle. You may even be able to keep it over night. This will give you a better idea about which will work for you. Please keep us updated. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
The Equinox I already own. It is great. Too bad that most owners do not take care of there vehicles any more. I blame that on leasing and dealer taking them back when they are beat up. Ah well I may have to look into a different brand next time when I get back to work. I hear only good things about Honda. GM has gone straid down for whatever reason. Too bad I will miss buying Canadian and US made vehicles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it true that Saturn vehicles cannot be GM certified? Is it also true that any GM vehicle over 65,000 miles cannot be certified either? If this is the case it shows the lack of confidence that GM has in their vehicles. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Gates59,

Thank you for your feedback. I respect your point of view. I hope that there will be something in a positive manner that will assist you in staying with the General Motors family. However, you must do what is best for you.

Please, don’t hesitate to contact me with further questions or concerns.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

·
Registered
353 Posts
Saturnly,

Thank you for your questions. According to the information that I have available to me, Buick, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac brands are eligible for certification under the GM Certified Used Vehicle program. Saturn vehicles are known as, “Saturn Certified Pre Owned Program. However, General Motors has enabled cross-certification between GM Certified Used and Saturn Certified Pre Owned programs. This means that all GM Certified Used Dealers are eligible to enroll in and market Saturn Certified PreOwned vehicles. Additionally, all Saturn Certified PreOwned Retailers are eligible to enroll in and market GM Certified Used vehicles.

There were changes made to the GM Certified Used (Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Buick) and Saturn Pre-Owned vehicles programs back in September of 2008. One of these changes were that they had increased the mileage to 75,000 miles and the vehicle must be the current model year or the five previous model years.

If you have further questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would guess that just because they can, doesn't mean they have to. I think there's a fair amount of work involved and they may need to replace some things that they don't want to in order to meet the requirements. Of course, if they want to make a sale to you, make it a condition of the sale.

Oh, and to be fair, there are limits on what vehicles apply on everyone's certification programs, it's not just GM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nobody says they have to but to say they can't because they don't want to means to me that they are really not interested in making the sale or the vehicle has some problems that they are hiding. I will keep looking these are really nice trucks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
gates59 said:
I hear only good things about Honda. GM has gone straid down for whatever reason.
Honda isn't perfect. I loved my Odyssey and it served us quite well, but the transmission was replaced at 40K and 120K and it was showing signs of going again at 205K when we traded it. To be fair, Honda picked up the tab for the first two, but that wasn't the famous Honda reliability I was expecting.

On the other hand, at 205K, it drove probably 85% as well as it it did at 40K when I bought it. Still wore the original shocks and struts and had very little body rust. I had very few problems with it, outside of regular maintenance stuff. If the Pilot had been roomier and towed more, I'd have one now instead of the Outlook.

Oh, and if you think GM is slipping, you obviously didn't drive any GM car from the late 70's through the 80's. In my family we had a '76 Camaro, '77 Cutlass, '79 Monza, '80 Citation, '80 Toronado, '80 Monza and '88 Celebrity and they were all pretty craptastic cars. They pretty much started to nickle and dime you at 80K with a constant barrage of problems until they died sometime after 125K or so, or you gave up on them. (I also had a '92 Saturn SL2 that showed real promise, but I sold it before it hit the magic 80K number.)

I bought my Outlook with some trepidation, given GMs reputation and my history, and I've been pleasantly surprised, with the vehicle, with the dealers I've dealt with and with Michelle's presence here. I frequented a forum for my Odyssey and no one from Honda ever came by there. In my view, GM's come a long way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately for me Michelle is not directly involved with my purchase and or the dealer whom is selling it. My family has had many of those crappy GM cars in the 70's and 80's as well but I was fortunate enough to get hooked on anything European since my first car which was a 1982 VW Scirocco. I have had dozens of cars since then (mostly European) mixed in with a few Japanese and American cars. One of my favorite cars was actually a 1993 Saturn SW2 5 Speed Wagon. Great little car! I too believe GM products have improved immensely and hope they keep getting better!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts