Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our 2007 Outlook for about 2 years now. My son got up in the front seat one day while we were cleaning out the garage and started playing with all the buttons. Since then, our inside lights don't come on when the doors open. I didn't really find this a big deal but when pulling into a dark garage and unloading 2 little ones, it has been a big pain in the butt. And for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to switch them back on. Or maybe it's an electrical problem, somehow...I dont know? The little buttons to the left of my steering wheel...the big one that controls the automatic lights and the little one that controls the brightness or if you click it over, it turns on the interior lights...they all work and I have tried all the different settings. The lights themselves all work and we can switch them on at anytime by hand. But I am just wondering if anyone happens to know how to get the interior lights to come on when doors open? Need help! ???

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
There is a push in button on the left side of the dash and next to the headlight knob, it has a light with a line through it symbol on the button. Pushed in turns them off, out on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
khansen30 said:
There is a push in button on the left side of the dash and next to the headlight knob, it has a light with a line through it symbol on the button. Pushed in turns them off, out on.
I leave the button pushed in all the time and it's not turning on my lights when the doors open. I have tried like every setting with that button, and nothing seems to work. :(

·
Registered
396 Posts
netsirk said:
I leave the button pushed in all the time and it's not turning on my lights when the doors open. I have tried like every setting with that button, and nothing seems to work. :(
Right; when the button is pushed in; the interior lights will not come on when you open the doors

·
Registered
754 Posts
push the button my finger is touching. (this is on my 2010 Traverse- im thinking your Saturn is the same).
this will fix your problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
OMG!!! Not another one of these questions about that button. It confuses a ton of people, including my wife recently. I said, push that button there....no THERE....NO THERE!!!!, she couldn't understand until I pointed to it, like the photo above. I told her of the different threads about this topic on the 4 forums, and she completely understood. Guess it doesn't look that much like a button, but yet again I actually read my owner's manual, which is a rare thing these days.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think wording my play an issue here and I am guilty as charged. I said push the "button"~maybe I should have said switch. Thinking back; when I see the word button I think of something that is round

·
Registered
201 Posts
Arguably this is a 'design issue'. The dash lighting dimmer stem is front and center in that photo, the icons and wording surround it. Yet the upper half ("the button" or "the switch") as RBarrios' finger points to it in the photo is the operable piece in question for disabling the dome lights. I would hold that people think the dimmer stem is the only item visible. They think the other pieces are merely a surround or 'trim' if you will.

Definitely a design issue. This would be worded on Consumers Reports as 'confusing controls and switches'. Not that greatest example, but you get the drift.

I was hoping this item would get revised in the 2010 MY, but I don't think it has. Maybe when they (GM) do a refresh in another year or so...

·
Registered
252 Posts
At least the one rbarrios posted saye "dome off" as the one on my 2007 only has that little icon on it. Sounds like a fix to me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
At least the one rbarrios posted saye "dome off" as the one on my 2007 only has that little icon on it. Sounds like a fix to me.
Yep same for my 07 Acadia; no words just an icon

·
Registered
80 Posts
So now they can add the word "push" because people can't figure out to actually push the button/switch that says "dome off". :eek:hno:

couple things that would make this a non-issue: People actually reading their owner's manual, and salespeople showing the customers all the controls when they pick up their new vehicle, very simple concept(s).

But for now we'll call the dome off button a "stealth button". However, do you know what the bad part is.....the little kid figured it out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
09Enclave said:
But for now we'll call the dome off button a "stealth button". However, do you know what the bad part is.....the little kid figured it out.[/color]
:rofl: good point

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rbarrios said:
push the button my finger is touching. (this is on my 2010 Traverse- im thinking your Saturn is the same).
this will fix your problem.
Thank you! This fixed my problem. Like some others mentioned, mine is just an icon and I always figured the icon had to do with the turnknob right below it...I would have never guessed that the trim surrounding the turn knob was a button. :thumb: Yep, and now I know for future use, if needed. Thanks to those who were helpful.

·
Registered
396 Posts
netsirk said:
Thank you! This fixed my problem. Like some others mentioned, mine is just an icon and I always figured the icon had to do with the turnknob right below it...I would have never guessed that the trim surrounding the turn knob was a button. :thumb: Yep, and now I know for future use, if needed. Thanks to those who were helpful.
I had the same issue on my 07 Acadia when I first bought it; glad to hear we could help :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
netsirk said:
:eek: Ouch, nice slam ;)........and to those who weren't helpful..... :p (perhaps netsirk was talking about me.... :-[ )

EDIT: Thought I'd check the online owner's manual for my Enclave to make sure it states clearly how to operate that button/switch. Here's the actual verbage...sounds pretty straight forward to me:

Instrument Panel Brightness
The (instrument panel brightness)
control knob is located on the left side of
the instrument panel. To brighten or dim
the instrument panel lights, press the
knob; it will pop out. Turn the knob to
adjust the intensity of the lights.
Courtesy Lamps
The courtesy lamps will come on when
a door is open. The lamps also can be
turned on by fully rotating the instrument
panel brightness control knob clockwise.
To disable the courtesy lamps, press the
(Courtesy Lamp Override) button
located above the instrument panel
brightness control knob.
See Section 3 of your Owner Manual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts