Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the new 2011 Ford Explorer has finally been revealed, what are your thoughts? When my wife saw it this morning on the news she said, "it looks just like my Outlook". Upon further review, I sort of agree. Due to certain cirumstances we purchased our Outlook sooner than expected, I originally wante to wait until the new Explorer came out, and the details of the new 2012 Acadia/Enclave. But after seeing the new Explorer, I feel fine with my purchase. It's not as revolutionary of a design as I thought I would see. And there's not as much Land Rover type design elements as I thought I would see. The grill and front fascia area resemble the Acadia, especially the headlights. As for the interior, I havn't seen any photos yet, but if they don't offer captians seats and the cabin is designed like the Taurus, then they're in trouble. Try getting into a new Taurus, absolutlely no room at all. I'm 6'9 and I fit better in a Smart Car. Your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think it looks good and I would be curious to see the interior differences from previous Explorer's

·
Registered
754 Posts
seats 7- so it must be captains chairs in the 2nd row.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From some of the photos I've seen, the 3rd row only has 2 seats. I've seen one photo of the second row with a middle console, but it doesn't look wide enough for a pass through.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the new Explorer looks like an Outlook? The styling seems similar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't really care for it. Maybe I'd have to see one in person. It looks like the Ford Edge,Taurus and Outlook put together. I wish they hadn't used the Edge and Taurus as inspirations..... :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's on the Ford website and I must say and retract my statement from earlier......That's a bad ass truck. I'm thinking I should've waited and held off. I'm really impressed with it. The outside is nice and the inside is even nicer :thumb:. I think it'll give some of these luxury suvs a run for they money. If the mpgs are better then it might be a winner. Can you imagine what the Expedition will look like :eek:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I saw it today on Ford's website and I think it's AWSOME looking. Wish I had one and I can't wait to see it in person :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife told me yesterday that select Ford dealerships here in the Dallas were letting folks test drive it. Of course she told me this all late and stuff :banghead: I sho would've went up there and test drove one.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I may have missed it but when will they hit the showroom floor?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks a lot like the Lambdas to me, especially the Outlook & Acadia. I like the look and the interior looks great too, but it seems to be smaller. Only two in the third row and the seats seem lower to the floor. Looks like less rrom behind the third row too. Oh, and the second row seats don't slide to give third row folks more room.

Towing is less by 200lbs, according to reports. MPG should be better with the 4 cylinder turbo, but full towing capacity is only offered with the V6.

Looks like a nice truck, but I think the GM's still have the edge.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The release is in the winter time. No exact date though. It does look kinda small. I dont know about the 2-3-2 seating though. But who knows. I do like the overall change.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
mrFamous said:
The release is in the winter time. No exact date though. It does look kinda small. I dont know about the 2-3-2 seating though. But who knows. I do like the overall change.
Same here. It's not going to be comfy enough for a 6 person family I dont think :-\.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
The 2011 Explorer is looking pretty darn good right now. And YES it does remind me of the Outlook styling. I have been checking out the Ford site since I first heard about the redesign of the Explorer.

With all the problems we are experiencing with our Outlook, water leaks as it is in the shop again for the SIXTH time. Not counting the timing chain/cam shaft was replaced and is BACK in for the same **** thing. It has only 29295 miles on it and I am sooooo ready to get rid of it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
When you buy a first model year, like your '07 Outlook, you get more problems than later years. I learned that with my '99 Odyssey with finicky power doors and a weak transmission (replaced by Honda at 40K & 120K, starting to go out again at 203K). Jumping into the all-new 2011 Explorer may mean being back in the same boat. It may be better than yout Outlook, but I would guarantee that the 2011 Explorer will have more issues than the 2012 or later at least. After my experience with the Odyssey, I won't buy a first year again.

Have you looked into the Ohio lemon law? I think it's 30+ days in the shop or a single issue unresolved in 3 trips in the first 18 months and you qualify. Of course, your time to file may be up now, not sure about that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea and even though buying brand new sounds like a winner I always say buy used. The first person with it will get the problems first hand and if you get it from a known dealership its guaranteed to be fixed and certified before going on the lot. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
salguod said:
Have you looked into the Ohio lemon law? I think it's 30+ days in the shop or a single issue unresolved in 3 trips in the first 18 months and you qualify. Of course, your time to file may be up now, not sure about that.
You can bet we checked out the Ohio lemon law it has a max of 18000 miles and we are way beyond that.

You are probably correct in waiting a year on the Explorer. My thought process was that the "explorer" has been around a long time. Although with the total revamp guess I should look at it as a "new" vehicle within the Ford family.

Well hopefully I will hear from the dealer as to whether the Outlook has to have the timing chain replaced AGAIN. Last Friday they said they had the water leak fixed....not betting on that one.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
mrFamous said:
Yea and even though buying brand new sounds like a winner I always say buy used. The first person with it will get the problems first hand and if you get it from a known dealership its guaranteed to be fixed and certified before going on the lot. Thats just my opinion though.
AHHH but in our case...the Outlook didn't start showing problems until this spring. Purchased 12/01/07 so it was 2 years and 5 months later the "crap" started to hit the fan.

If we had traded the car in after a couple years I would hate to have been the one to come along and purchase it.

If they fix all the problems....plan on keeping the Outlook for another year or two. If NOT..... :angryfire:

·
Registered
396 Posts
That really stinks that you've had so many issues and that they showed up after the lemon law protection had expired.

The new Explorer shares nothing with the old. The old was a traditional body on frame SUV. The frame had more in common with the Ranger than anything else (although it had evolved quite a bit from the Ranger). The new is a unit body, much like the Lambdas, and is similar to the Flex and the old Freestyle/Taurus X under the skin. It's really 'all new' with the exception of engines and the name.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts