1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
754 Posts
do a search on here or the acadia/enclave forum..

Someone had posted pics of their thermostat replacement.
I think it was a whole piece-- and not the part you reference in the ebay auction,,

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's very strange. I just looked up in my service manual (All Data DIY online subscription) and it lists the steps for replacing the thermostat. It says to remove the housing, and then remove the thermostat. Yet the parts info says the thermostat is only a part of the housing (Part #12638893) which lists for $73.32. You would think that if the thermostat is removable, that it should be a separate item available for purchase!

Looking on line at one of the GM discount part sellers, their diagram shows the thermostat as part #4, but they don't even list it or say what it is on the parts list. Only once again is the housing shown as available.

http://gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

I would be tempted to remove the thermostat and see what the deal is and if it could be matched up. The specs for it in the manual say it begins opening at 194 and is fully opened at 225. Hours allowed for replacement of the housing/thermostat is .8 hours if under warranty, or 1.1 hours if not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have researched all of this and I was checking around for prices at rockauto.com, autozone.com, advanceauto.com and gmpartsdirect.com but no one else offers just the thermostat besides that guy on ebay. I have around 75k miles and living in Wisconsin it is crucial that it opens correctly for all the heat we can get in the winter. Hopefully it will work long enuff for a few months until spring then I can take the housing off and see if I can remove it separately and just replace the stat.

·
Registered
214 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
There is a gasket on the housing, is it reusable? I guess you could use some RTV gasket instead.
There is a part number for a new gasket, it is not reusable. I would think some type of RTV gasket would be OK.

·
Registered
754 Posts
how is the thermostat held in place?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts