Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum as my wife and I have just purchased an '09 Outlook XR. We love it however, do have a couple of questions for you long time Outlook owners.
What is the standard gas mileage on these vehicles. Just wondering as I am getting nowhere near the sticker EPA estimate. Currently I just got 15.5 with mix of highway and city. My wife took a trip from Houston to C.C. and it doesn't look much better. Is this just part of a break in period or should I be concerned?
Also, about towing, I got the towing package, no square trailering hitch...I got the part attached to the vehicle but not the extention is this typical of GM? And what about this crazy trailering plug? I thought they came standard with the two male and one female connector...how do I resolve that issue? I'm a little green when it comes to towing thus the rookie questions...Please help.
Thanks in advance,
Hector

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Quicksilver1...

I've been on this board since right after it was started and I gotta say this is the quiet one out of all the Lambda Boards. I tend to be on the Acadia Board more than anything. The Traverse Board is looking like its getting busy these days too. The enclave board gets a lot of posts as well. Not sure why the Outlook board is always so quiet. Less outlooks than the other Lambdas?

Have fun with the new car. I've been a V Dub guy my entire life but really I love my outlook. Great car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We really like this tool and I have been posting it on the forum to help people. I do have one question. To us it seems session_path is doing the look up wrong. From what we see the check assumes that mod_php is used with no suexec.

Can you confirm this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quicksilver1,

Welcome! I kinda agree with your observation on this Outlook website. There ARE knowledgeable folks here but Im sure, they are not always surfing the site (life kinda gets in the way, doncha think?). Anyhoo, we took delivery of our 09 XR FWD on 7/28/09. Just have the 3rd tank of gas in her a few days ago. Our initial mpg is right at 15.5. We attribute this to a lot of initial idling while we learn all the features on this bad boy as well idling while we demonstrate this to family and friends. All our initial driving has been in town, stop and go so I believe you just need to have patience and gradually the mileage will improve as the honeymoon dims (meaning you grasp driving her by watching that tach).

My initial experience of reaching the majic 17 mpg city is keeping your foot out of her and trying not to exceed 2,500 rs (the ideal is 2,000 rs doesnt get exceeded). As quickly as you can get her into 4th/5th gear around town, your mileage will rise. Driving this way truly is initially boring but I think practicing this regularly will give you mpg benefits. Dont get me wrong, this DI 3.6 V-6 has plenty of power and its easy to spin her up in the lower gears. Ya just have to weigh giving up mileage occasiionally to enjoy those blasts.

I would join the other Lambda sites here as well as this site

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

as well. Doing so will give you a broader flavor of others experiences with their Lambdas.

As an example here is a 4 or 5 page screen discussion in the Enclave site regarding miles per gallon.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=4425.0

Regarding the trailering package on your vehicle. No car company provides you (free) with the bar which the ball is attached to that slides into the yoke of your hitch. Any Meijers, Lowes, Home Depot or your local friendly trailer shop can provide you with that. No biggy. The harness with that plug on the end is used to wire in a brake controller should you have a trailer with electric brakes. You do not need to wire this in if your trailer doesnt have electric brakes. The plug on your trailer when plugged into the socket next to your hitch will generate running lights, stop lights and turn signals on your trailer.

Here is a thread I started and finished regarding the wiring of that short harness to a brake controller.

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=739.0

Hope you have trouble free ownership on this one. I am very pleased on the fit and finish as well as a sense of tightness and quietness with this vehicle.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim,
I've kinda easied up on visiting the website. I imagine you are right when it comes to knowledgeable people here. Yeah life does get in the way.lol. I did manage to get a little better gas mileage here recently and figured out the trailering thing....an adapter since my trailer does not have brakes on it.
Thanks for the info,
Hector

1 - 6 of 6 Posts