Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the result of our 2005 Odyssey being totalled this past January, we purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook. We had owned an Odyssey since 2001 and was on our second one. My Wife & I were blown away by Outlook XR package, it has everything! We were very pleased with our purchase until we went through our first tank of gas (provided by the delear). 22 gallons and well less than 300 miles! We had been used to at least that with our Odyssey. I figured I would give it a few more fillups before passing judgement, but still got the same results. It ended up being around an average of 14 mpg or so. My wife is the one that mainly drives it. It's the usual drop off/pick up from school, running errands, some freeway, some surface streets, etc.. I was really concerned about the mileage. That was until out trip this weekend from Simi Valley to San Luis Obispo.

Great trip! I was hoping we could do the whole trip on 1 tank of gas but wasn't sure how it would go. On the way up we averaged 23.2 mpg! We're doing a bit over 24 mpg before a couple of stops. We had a total trip average of 22.2 mpg and this was after the driving around we did in San Luis Obispo over 2 days. We probably averaged around 68-70 mph and didn't go "charging" up any of the hills. I had seen the trip meter register over 300 miles a tank of gas only once before (305). That was after significantly more freeway driving than usual and the average was 14.4 mpg. Well we got home, 399 miles and still had a little less than a quarter of a tank left! Not so worried about the mileage any more! We're just not used to such a drastic difference between "city" and highway mileage.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the tank is 22 gal.
The usual fill up with the light coming on- is around 18 gal... just in case you were using 22 gal in your manual calculations.
It sounds like youre already resetting your DIC.
Since youre familiar with the area....
You will attain better results by slowing down a bit. Especially if you follow semis at stick to slow easy speeds.

Ill throw this in....
Weve driven from West Covina to Santa Barbara- at 55-60 mph and have achieved up to 31.3 MPG - 3 on board.

Some months ago- we did WCovina to SLO- hearst castle area. 6 on board with luggage...
ill let the pics do the talking.

reaching santa Barbara ( I always compare the same exit).

27.9 MPG after 120 miles.

going up by solvang- and onto SLO (we stopped in Arroyo Grande for the night)- and arriving at the small restaurant (sebastians?) across from Hearst Castle...

25.3 MPG

·
Registered
754 Posts
On the drives up to this area.. is when I see these numbers...
FUEL RANGE.
on the trip to SLO area

and another trip up that way-- my personnal best..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got home from a trip with my 09 Outlook XR. Drove round trip from Indianapolis, Indiana to Charleston, South Carolina. Trip totaled 1654 miles. Two times through the Smokie Mountains and 4 days driving around Charleston. Most mileage was at 65 to 75 mph except in town. Trip average was 21.1 mpg. City driving took me down from the first leg of 22.6 mpg. I am happy with mine. Just turned 87,000 while coming back. Still have same brakes as when purchased new and with only a water pump replacement at 78,000. Treat them right and they treat you right.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here's a snapshot of the best mileage I had on the way down to Florida last month, from a 6 hour stint from London, Ontario to Florence, Kentucky.

The speed limit for I75 is pegged lower in Ohio than most states which is probably why I had better fuel economy in this leg of the trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
the best Ive gotten was 7.5L/100K.

I like this one-- because there was 7 of us in the car- and running AC because it was super hot outside.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the traverse instant MPG is actually a BARgraph.

The pic above is not an instant reading- it was the MPG after driving in the heat with AC and a bunch of us in the vehicle-- so yes-- since it was last reset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts