Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD

My wife called me yesterday while she was out running errands saying her Saturn was making a terrible noise and that she wanted me to look at it before she drove it any further. I stated it and found the noise appeared to be coming from the top end of the engine on the passenger side. After a short time the noise went away and the engine started running very poorly. Since AutoZone was across the street from the bank where she had stopped I drove it across the street and had the codes pulled since the CEL had come on. The codes are as follows,

P0341 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance Bank 1
P0011 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance Bank 1
P0017 Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Bank 1
P0106 Manifold absolute pressure sensor - pressure incorrect
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1
P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Malfunction

The Saturn barely had enough power to pull itself onto the flatbed trailer that I towed it home on. Does this sound like a timing chain tensioner failure? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The truck is at the dealership right now. They are saying the timing chains need replacing. Luckily it is still under 120K warranty. $65 for new spark plugs seems high, but still cheap for the work being done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
topdollar69 said:
The truck is at the dealership right now. They are saying the timing chains need replacing. Luckily it is still under 120K warranty. $65 for new spark plugs seems high, but still cheap for the work being done.
65$ is much expensive in your area. It is just 52$ in our area Shelton. I don't know why they are giving for extra money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's finally back from the dealership. Their finding was a broken RH side intake cam and actuator. The tech said the actuator was loose on the cam, damaging both units. They replaced the cam, actuator, and the RH cam sensor along with the standard timing chains and seals. The sensor was damaged by the loose variable valve timing actuator, and was probably causing most of the drivability issues. When he checked the cams, they all had to be shimmed in the head as they were out of spec.

No reason was given for the actuator coming loose from the cam, but I sure am glad it was covered under the extended warranty. They also found the brake booster was contaminated with brake fluid from the master cylinder leaking past the main seal. I requested both parts so I can inspect them. I was suspicious at first of the leaking master cylinder, but after speaking with the tech he seemed like an honest enough guy and I'm inclined to believe him. I also know this is a common enough problem with these trucks that it certainly could be true.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the brake fluid... Thinking about just getting rid of it... problem after problem :banghead:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other issue that has come up is the engine seems low on power in the upper RPMs compared to before the cam-actuator-timing chain issues that were repaired. It's almost like the VVT isn't working anymore. We did notice a slight decrease in power at first but didn't think much of it, but now that I've been towing with it again it's very noticeable. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be a very common problem as I can't find any other complaints of it with a Google search. I guess I should have had it looked into right away. Time to get out the scan tool and do some diagnosing. Things to note, no check engine light, slight miss noted, and slight hesitation when stepping on it at highway speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts