Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the oil changed in my 2007 Outlook on August 30th at Goodyear. On October 26th I noticed a loud knocking noise in the engine, so I dropped it off for service at the dealership. Initially they fixed a cracked engine valve and were about to replace the timing belt, when they determined that it was really my oil filter to blame. The service tech said the oil filter had essentially been sucked into the engine. He stated that a service bulliten was put out on only using certain oil filters on the Outlook. Now the entire engine is ruined and GM will not cover it under the powertrain or extended warranties and blames Goodyear. Still waiting to see if Goodyear's insurance will cover the repair. I don't really know how I'd afford the $9000 repair on a car that I still owe $12000

Anyone else have a similar experience or have knowledge of this service bulliten?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What kind of oil filter and how many miles on the oil/filter and on the OUTLOOK? The oil filter must have failed internally. Goodyear better man-up!

·
Registered
754 Posts
yes there is a bulletin out- any car that comes in with knocking etc.... to check for aftermarket oil filter.
Most likely due to the filter failing- and causing oil starvation...
seems thats what happened to yours.

If you look on ebay-- you can find very low mileage engines for your outlook-and will run you about $2000.
Ive seen engines for traverse, acadias, enclaves, outlooks with as low as 10 miles on them.
(some times the vehicles are new and taken apart after some damage from maybe transports)..
go to ebay- and type in 2007 outlook 3.6 engine-- or similar searches... see what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info on the bulliten. I despise the bulliten process - the average owner doesn't have access to the bullitens and then gets work done on their car that renders their car uncovered by the warranty. Seems like a convenient way for the dealerships to get out of fixing the issue that they know there is a known problem with.

I guess the lesson learned here is let the dealership do all the maintenance within the warranty period regardless of how trivial it might be - and regardless of how much the dealership overinflates the prices. :angryfire:

·
Registered
754 Posts
OR--- buy the correct oil filter at wal mart-- ($3-4) and hand it to the oil change guys.

I have a 2010 Traverse- I buy the PF-48 at Wal Mart. Cheap and easily accesible.

2004-2010
Acadia; Enclave; Equinox; OUTLOOK; Rendezvous; Terrain; Torrent; Traverse; VUE -Internal engine noise or damage after oil filter replacement
Always ensure the parts installed are from a trusted source. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelco oil filters directly from GMCC&A
Do not perform warranty repairs when engine damage is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter
10-06-01-003

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would make sure that you get all this in writing. I would also ask for the filter to be kept as "evidence" should you need to pursue legal action. For example, if we have a medical misadventure from a device failure, we "secure" all available packaging for later use if needed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yikes. I want to know what filter was the bad one so I can avoid that brand.

I hope that Goodyear steps up to the plate or the oil filter manufacturer. This clearly isn't GM's problem, I can see why they wouldn't warranty it. Stinks for you, but that's really the case.

Keep at them and don't back down. I had a reman'd engine installed in a 1988 Caravan. In reman'd engines they use a little device called a heat tab to determine if the engine has been overheated in case it comes back for a warranty claim. It's basically a washer that's adhered to the engine in several places with an epoxy in the center. The epoxy melts out at a certain temp, so if the epoxy is gone, it's overheated and no warranty. Well, my new engine ate a valve about 3 months in and it was determined that one of the heat tabs came loose and got in the timing chain. Timing jumped, valve met piston. The rebuilder said that showed it was overheated. I contacted the heat tab manufacturer and found that if it came off, it was installed wrong. After much arguing (and weeks of bumming rides), they agreed to fix it under warranty.

It seems clear that either Goodyear or the filter manufacturer is responsible here. Hopefully it doesn't take you weeks to resolve it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like Government Motors (GM) to me. ::) I've been using quality oil filters,ie. Fram, Purolater,etc. for many years without a hint of a problem. :)
That's nonsense.GM filters prolly made by an aftermarket company.
John

·
Registered
201 Posts
ohmyohio89 said:
...the average owner doesn't have access to the bullitens ...
True, TSB's are issued by GM to dealerships and the intended audience is technicians. It's to guide them on diagnosing and troubleshooting with information/data and procedures.

The internet and some 'research' databases through public libraries make such TSB information available, though the latter may be slow to update the information.

Sorry to hear of your woes with the oil change at Goodyear. It would be good to learn or know of what brand/model filter was installed at that time. Hopefully Goodyear or the filter manufacturer does the right thing by you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I only use Fram " Ultra Guard "or Purolator " Pure One " and they exceed the OEM specifications and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
1917Olds said:
I only use Fram " Ultra Guard "or Purolator " Pure One " and they exceed the OEM specifications and have never had any problems.
The potential difficulty is that if there is an engine "failure" while using an non OEM filter one may be forced to turn to the filter manufacturer for compensation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts