Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a list of Oil Filter Brands that fit the Outlook. Takes 5.5 qts of Oil.

Mobil One =M1-113

AC Delco = PF48

K&N = HP-1017

Napa Gold = 7060

Fram = PH10060

Motorcraft FL2030

If you know of any more list them here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went to pick up a new Wix Filter today and the auto parts store was out of the one for the Outlook and my Sierra, so I stopped at Napa to see if they carried them. Napa's brand is made by Wix, drop the first number, so I grabbed some. Just an FYI for other Wix users, Napa Gold 7060 is the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should always use a filter with an anti-drainback valve. This will keep dry starts to a minimum and only costs a few bucks more for the assurance of protection.

Pure One, Fram Tuf-Gard, Mobile 1 are my picks. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
1917Olds said:
You should always use a filter with an anti-drainback valve. This will keep dry starts to a minimum and only costs a few bucks more for the assurance of protection.

Are there really any filters left on the market that don't have an anti drain back valve. These days all that really is, is a rubber flap behind the flow holes that only allows flow in one direction.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1917Olds said:

Wix has both an anti-drain back valves and a by-pass, do you not like their product? My father-in-law turned me on to them years ago and I am really happy with them. Apparent NASCAR is too.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been a corvette owner for years and I only use the AC Delco Ultraguard Gold line of oil filters on my cars.

Here's a blurb from AC Delco about the differences between the duraguard and the ultraguard.
DuraGuard

Your protection from contaminants – ACDelco Duraguard Oil Filters
Rely on Duraguard Oil Filters to:

Trap particles as small as 25 microns, insuring a clean supply of lubricating oil flow into the moving parts of your engine* (Based on an independent study.)
Provide a leak-proof connection with the double lock seal at the base of the filter shell and gasket retainer plate, so dirty oil stays away from your engine
Thermosetting adhesive seals hold the paper media in place for consistent, dependable oil filtration throughout the filter

UltraGuard

Worth its weight in gold for your engine – ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters.
Protecting engines better than any other oil filter on the market, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters are built using state-of-the-art filter technology that helps them reduce engine wear by 74%.

In addition, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters:

Remove contaminants before they enter the engine
Boast the highest efficiency rating on the market at 98%, trapping particles as small as 8-10 microns* (Based on an independent study)
Ensure a fresh supply of oil to the bearings, rings and other moving parts
Have a Teflon-coated gasket that protects against leakage and makes them easier to install and remove
I'm not exactly sure how it compares to the Mobil 1 filter but the ultraguards are spec'd for Corvette's which they usually don't skimp on for this kind of thing.

The UPF48R is the one to get and can be used in place of the PF48.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trust me on this, Mobile 1 or K&N, I believe they are the same design, but both are designed to last up to 15,000 miles. I have used them both for years on my Avalanche with mobile 1 15k oil & they both hold up great! After extensive research I won't use anything else...

I only change my oil once a year or @ 15,000 mile interval and have never had any problems at all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm also using the AC Ultraguard Filter (Black body).

I get my oil filters from Gene @ gmpartshouse dot com

From their website:

GM Ultra Guard UPF48R Oil Filters

12626224 – UPF48R Ultra Guard Oil Filter - $9.80

These filters come in a case of 12. You can purchase just 1 filter if you’d like.
This is the AC Delco Gold Series oil filter that provides more filtering, etc.
Currently used on the 2009 - 2010 Z06 and ZR1 engines. Can be used in place of PF48.

I also use Mobil 0W-30. My change intervals have been 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
XRDreamliner said:
I also use Mobil 0W-30. My change intervals have been 7,500 miles.
I am glad to see another 0W30 user. I am about 3.5 months and 4500 miles into this my first run using M1 0W30.

XRD, I don't think you have done any UOA for any of these OCIs using this grade of M1 :-\?
Maybe I can convince you to do it this time? :cheers:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here is a post about the UPF48R filter from here http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19528. Check out the last paragraph. If you can confirm that, I don't know if the extra cost is worth it. These engines don't have the high oil pressure like is talked about the vettes needing, although it won't hurt anything (except the wallet).

Words from ACDelco:
Rely on Duraguard Oil Filters to: Trap particles as small as 25 microns, insuring a clean supply of lubricating oil flow into the moving parts of your engine. Provide a leak-proof connection with the double lock seal at the base of the filter shell and gasket retainer plate, so dirty oil stays away from your engine. Thermosetting adhesive seals hold the paper media in place for consistent, dependable oil filtration throughout the filter. UltraGuard is worth its weight in gold for your engine – ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters. Protecting engines better than any other oil filter on the market, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters are built using state-of-the-art filter technology that helps them reduce engine wear by 74%. In addition, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters remove contaminants before they enter the engine with the highest efficiency rating on the market at 98%, trapping particles as small as 8-10 microns. Ensure a fresh supply of oil to the bearings, rings and other moving parts. Have a Teflon-coated gasket that protects against leakage and makes them easier to install and remove.

More Info:
GM Powertrain has released a new oil filter for the 2009 Corvette. The new design UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R oil filter will be used on the following OEM applications:
Z06 - LS7 7.0L and ZR1 - LS9 6.2L

According to GM, this filter was designed with the following in mind: “With the addition of piston oil cooling nozzles and other unique lubrication system requirements, a new design dual-rotor oil pump is required for the LS9 application. The new design oil pump produces greater volume and higher system oil pressure. To meet those requirements, a new oil filter with higher BURST strength is required.

The UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R filter (U is for Ultra and R is for Racing) is black in color, has a thicker exterior shell and can be identified as GM part number 12626224. The internal components are the same in both the UPF48R and the PF48 oil filters. The UPF48R can be used in applications where the PF48 is specified.”

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
2007OutlookXESilver said:
This whole thread is about worthless. Everybody put their own personal preference on here with references to support their point of view. :banghead:
Hummm okay so what did you want us to say? Sure I will put my own personal preference on here because that is what I use and have had no issues with this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
2007OutlookXESilver said:
This whole thread is about worthless. Everybody put their own personal preference on here with references to support their point of view. :banghead:
Maybe by now some sites and catalogs have these filters showing, but back when the OP started this thread, it was years ago. Owners searching for information on alternative brand/model oil may hit this page and bingo... it's good info already laid out.

FWIW, I've stayed with AC Delco and have up-sized to the PF63.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts