Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while replacing my stock air filter to a brand new oiled K&N air filter, I noticed oil inside the air box between the throttle body and the mass air sensor. Not sure if this is normal or if something is up with my Outlook. I also noticed the hose/line coming from the top of the engine block to that same "air box" thing, was some cheap sealant holding it on loosely. There is an adaptor on the line and I'm not sure if it's broken or it's SUPPOSED to look like some shoddy piece of work. I'll attach a few photos. Thanks if anybody can help me figure this out with part numbers or other fixes. ??? ???

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
you dont say what year yours is.
this is my 2010. the oil there is normal. (actually read that it somehow helps with the DI and carbon buildup).
as for the connecting hose.....

since you werei n there--- may as well have checked the air filter and cleaned the throttle body.

·
Registered
754 Posts
ooopss- I see you already went to K&N.

Most have reported no change- and or lowe MPG with the K&N.
they went back to stocl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mistake, it's a 2008 XE AWD. I actually noticed these while I was replacing the air filter with a K&N filter. Thanks for the information. I'll keep looking for a replacement line or connecting adaptor.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My '09 is like the one of rbarrios'. The pic of that yellowish gunk on your almost seems like some sort of shoddy workmanship. I'm glad you changed it out :thumb:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yep...it's normal. That's the purpose of that little dimple, to collect the condensated oil fumes. Had some there in my 07 as well, just like plenty others are reporting.

As for the yellow gunk, it could also be from condensation. Somebody on the Enclave forum had similar stuff, but a lot more of it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, the galley "catch basin" exists to capture the blow-by oil vapors... I periodically clean out the galley on my '09.

I'm debating about adding a catch can setup to capture these blow-by vapors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm actually missing the adapter that connects the hose to the air box. As you can see mine was replaced by sealant. Removed the plastic elbow and added a rubber elbow, a pcv valve in place after shaving the hole a bit for a perfect fit. Runs good so far. Nice snug fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
PCV Tube
December 1, 2008 3:41 PM

-- Reminder
On the Acadia, Outlook and Enclave, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) fresh air tube is difficult to remove from the outlet duct. It is very easy to damage the outlet duct to PCV tube interface point when attempting to remove the tube. Remove the upper intake manifold sight shield for access (fig. 10).

A Do not attempt to disassemble this connection
The tube can be easily disconnected at the camshaft cover fitting and repositioned out of the way (fig. 11), without having to remove it from the outlet duct assembly.

A Rubber tube disconnected from cam cover fitting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts