Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud owner of a 2007 Outlook as of today. Looked around a lot and really liked both the Acadia and the Outlook. Found a super clean 2007 and brought it home today.

One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to fold the middle row of seats for accessing the third row. Mine has fabric interior with bench middle. The owners manual indicates you rotate handle C which is the top lever, the seat will slide forward and it would appear the bottom of the seat flip up from the back and the seat sort of accordion up snug with the back of the front seat.

I can't seem to get mine to do that. One thing I did notice is that the strap handle "B" actually is what lets the seat lay down flat even though the pictograms indicate to me that the lever C would do that. As it is Level C only lets you lean the seat forward or back a little.

I was hoping someone could give me some wisdom before I pull the seat out to see if something is seized up. It doesn't look like the third row was used much on this car and I was thinking maybe it needs some lube and tough love to get it acting right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The seat bottom should raise up from the rear as you slide the seat forward. You may have to be a bit forceful with the slide forward if the seat tracks are dirty.
Tim C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out and tried that again. when you hit lever C the seats do not slide forward on their own. The seat back will incline, but the seat does not slide forward.

I tried moving them front and back using lever A and it doesn't seem to matter. It sure looks like there is more room in the tracks for the seats to slide however, maybe it is not getting far enough forward for the seat bottom to come up. I can't think of anything else to do but take a seat out and have a look. I have been about as rough with it as I am comfortable.

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those videos certainly show a different operation that what I am seeing. I'll try and pull one of the seats out and give it a good lube and check the components.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any luck with the seats?? I have an '08 and they work just as the 1st video showed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I actually have bigger problems. I took the outlook to the mechanic the day after I bought it for a once over. New mechanic for me, but he said the valve covers were leaking so I asked he go ahead and fix it. He called me the next day and said the engine was sludged. I decided to see for myself and went to his shop. Sure enough it is heavily sludged. Figuring it drove a solid 75 miles home with no issue I said just clean what you can and we will flush the motor.

He later called to tell me that the motor had probably sucked some loose sludge and starved for oil because the timing chain was now making a sound. So he changed the oil and ran it again. Apparently when you crank it it sounds fine but once warm the timing chain rattles. I cant imagine it, but I am going to check in person next week. So he ran some flush through and ran it a few more cycles and said he would not drive it and it still makes a funny sound.

Not sure if these motors are known for that or what to really expect. He is a nice guy and I don't think he would have set me up on purpose. He sounded remorseful over the phone and said he would charge me half labor for anything we had to do to resolve the problem and all parts would be at cost.

I keep telling my wife anytime you buy a car with other 100k miles you run the risk of stuff like this and we are just soiled by having good luck on the cars we have bought in the past. On the bright side if we have to repair or replace the motor we know what we will be getting and this is a fixable problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry to hear about the engine problems. I understand there is a bulletin or recall regarding the timing chains. You may want to check on that before repairing them at your cost.
Tim C

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where did you buy it from? If it was at a dealership, take it to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts