Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that I own a shop that does aftermarket work on vehicles for area dealerships I decided to mess around my Outlook a bit. I built an enclosure that holds 2 shallow mount 10" woofers and one 1000 watt class D amplifier. The sub and amp is from Power Bass www.powerbassusa.com These were paired to the factory DVD unit with the 5.1 amplified system. It is surprising on how well it works in this vehicle. It isn't over bearing at all. The subs are a bit under powered due to their small enclosure. I have some tuning to do yet. Also they need to get broken in a bit as well before they are hammered on. Here's 2 quick pics I snapped with my phone's camera.

This is a shot from under the cover.


Here's a picture of the system with the top over. Yes, I can put the rear seats all the way up too. I have some minor fitting to do yet. Had just enough time to make the cover. I can stack my tools on top of it too.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I see I'm not the only one that is putting a lil umph in the back of an outlook ;D The only thing that has me baffeled is trynna the wires to the stereo with the battery being in the back. Would you run the wires to the stereo the same way? And how would you wire the amp to the battery? What size subs you using? I got 2 12in Kenwoods with a Kenwood amp, forgot the wattage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can run the power wire to the battery. This is what I did. I've got all the wires running down the passenger side and ran the power just under the front seat and looped back to the battery. There's even an extra stud to attach the wire to if you have a 10mm nut. I fiddled with the signal wires a bit. I have the amplified stereo in my car and the front outputs didn't have enough bass output. I ended going to the actual rear channels out from the amplifier. I've got a slight "bump" when you start the car so I may have to do something different.

You gotta be careful on what subs and amp you plan to run. The subs will more than likely need to be a shallow mount if you want to run it anything like I did. I will try to snap some better pics from my camera versus my phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
That is a real nice and clean set up :thumb:. Does the compartment rattle? And is the bass nice,clean and clear? I actually have my subs in a box w/ dual middle air ports. And I'mma go from there. I may get mine done professionally though that way they can also adjust my amp and subs accordingly since I'm still running a factory radio. I do plan on getting the radio upgraded. And may wait to hook up the subs with the aftermarket radio. Right now the stereo I got now beat decent 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
I must be getting old, do you really listen to the base that loud in a family hauler :D. Your retro work really looks good. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Lol @ family hauler. Yea I like loud bass. I got 3 12's in my L200 and it beats pretty hard :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
Do you have a fam? and listen to it that loud with them in the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
No family. But alot of nieces and nephews and they listen to they music loud any way so I'm good :thumb: However for my 2 goddaughters I keep it low and respectful for them since they are 2 and 2.5 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
mrFamous said:
No family. But alot of nieces and nephews and they listen to they music loud any way so I'm good :thumb: However for my 2 goddaughters I keep it low and respectful for them since they are 2 and 2.5 months.
Gotcha :thumb: Keep it rollin!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mrFamous said:
That is a real nice and clean set up :thumb:. Does the compartment rattle? And is the bass nice,clean and clear? I actually have my subs in a box w/ dual middle air ports. And I'mma go from there. I may get mine done professionally though that way they can also adjust my amp and subs accordingly since I'm still running a factory radio. I do plan on getting the radio upgraded. And may wait to hook up the subs with the aftermarket radio. Right now the stereo I got now beat decent 8)
Yep works very well. The bass is nice and crisp but not too boomy. Adjusting the amp is a bit difficult since I too am using the OE radio. GM has the radios set to produce less bass the more you turn them up. I plan on using the Rosen dvd/gps head unit if I ever get around to get one ordered which has a dedicated output for a subwoofer which will cure this problem. For now luckily the amp has a remote gain knob that's mounted next to the power outlet in the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6Sixathome said:
I must be getting old, do you really listen to the base that loud in a family hauler :D. Your retro work really looks good. :thumb:
Well the funny thing is of course! When you meter the loudness now its actually a little lower in volume because the subs make it sound so much more rich. Therefore, the overall output of the system is a little lower. And yes, I actually used a db meter too.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top